Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people think there IBS is effected by their attitude?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine most certainly is - see my recent topic on stressful thoughts causing pain.Sometimes I just wish there was some way I could disconnect by brain from my guts and just let the guts get on with things!Phil

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine most certainly is - see my recent topic on stressful thoughts causing pain.Sometimes I just wish there was some way I could disconnect by brain from my guts and just let the guts get on with things!Phil

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think it's a cycle, at least in terms of a negative attitude. A negative attitude affects IBS, but IBS affects attitude negatively. From what I've read, people with IBS may tend to have a more negative attitude than the average person before they get IBS. It seems, superficially anyway, that those with negative attitudes are more susceptible to acquiring IBS. Could it be that those with more positive attitudes are less likely to seek medical help, and this skews this?Those are just my observations. I do think attitude matters because the main benefit of Mike's tapes may be from attitude change in my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think it's a cycle, at least in terms of a negative attitude. A negative attitude affects IBS, but IBS affects attitude negatively. From what I've read, people with IBS may tend to have a more negative attitude than the average person before they get IBS. It seems, superficially anyway, that those with negative attitudes are more susceptible to acquiring IBS. Could it be that those with more positive attitudes are less likely to seek medical help, and this skews this?Those are just my observations. I do think attitude matters because the main benefit of Mike's tapes may be from attitude change in my opinion.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Attitude definitely makes a difference. If I am having a good day, then my attitude is upbeat and I get more accomplished. If I'm not feeling well, I get upset with having to deal with IBS and therefore my attitude is bad. If I can attempt to maintain a good attitude no matter how I am feeling, it is easier to deal with my symptoms....Trying to be POSITIVE all the time is not easy with this malady......
Hang in------Donna

·
Registered
221 Posts
Attitude definitely makes a difference. If I am having a good day, then my attitude is upbeat and I get more accomplished. If I'm not feeling well, I get upset with having to deal with IBS and therefore my attitude is bad. If I can attempt to maintain a good attitude no matter how I am feeling, it is easier to deal with my symptoms....Trying to be POSITIVE all the time is not easy with this malady......
Hang in------Donna

·
Registered
759 Posts
I know for sure I do.
I try not to let this stop me, but well... sometimes I succeed, other times not so much.Eric, some weeks ago there was this thread about this same topic. I'll see if I find that for you.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I know for sure I do.
I try not to let this stop me, but well... sometimes I succeed, other times not so much.Eric, some weeks ago there was this thread about this same topic. I'll see if I find that for you.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It was my parent's attitude that contributed to my IBS. Abusive family - I used to swing back and forth between totally depressed and optimism I could somehow escape the darkness.I'm generally postitive now, but sometimes if I start slipping back into that negative place my IBS does get worse. It's not so much a negative attitude, as the intrusion of negative thoughts, discouragement and depression. So far I've been able to shake it before it has lasting effects. Fighting it just prolongs the agony - I have to allow myself to cry, mope, etc. and get it over with quicker.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It was my parent's attitude that contributed to my IBS. Abusive family - I used to swing back and forth between totally depressed and optimism I could somehow escape the darkness.I'm generally postitive now, but sometimes if I start slipping back into that negative place my IBS does get worse. It's not so much a negative attitude, as the intrusion of negative thoughts, discouragement and depression. So far I've been able to shake it before it has lasting effects. Fighting it just prolongs the agony - I have to allow myself to cry, mope, etc. and get it over with quicker.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Me, I do I do!!!In fact, I know it is. As a very wise person once told me <eric> "Positive breeds postive"Julia, Got the T-shirt...
Took me lots of work, including some very hard therapy by an excellent therapist, to unlearn the unhealthy messages and learn the healthy ones. Took time too. You aren't alone. I'm here to tell ya one can recover, heal & learn to thrive instead of just surviving. Don't give up. Negative thoughts, self loathing, poor self esteem and a high bar for my own expectations of myself, I think, only exacerbated my IBS symptoms. Therapy didn't really help with the IBS, but it certainly helped me with the rest of it. The IBS was quickly, amazingly quickly, managed by me completing the IBS Audioprogram, via hypnotherapy. I doubt I would have even tried to help myself with the hypno, or anything else for that matter, if I hadn't done the time & effort with the therapist.... I probably woulda just lived with it.... I would have carried the cross of a burden that IBS can seem to be at times (sniff, sniff
) and just figured it was another lousy "lot" in my miserable life... Well you get the idea..
Hope this helps. BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Me, I do I do!!!In fact, I know it is. As a very wise person once told me <eric> "Positive breeds postive"Julia, Got the T-shirt...
Took me lots of work, including some very hard therapy by an excellent therapist, to unlearn the unhealthy messages and learn the healthy ones. Took time too. You aren't alone. I'm here to tell ya one can recover, heal & learn to thrive instead of just surviving. Don't give up. Negative thoughts, self loathing, poor self esteem and a high bar for my own expectations of myself, I think, only exacerbated my IBS symptoms. Therapy didn't really help with the IBS, but it certainly helped me with the rest of it. The IBS was quickly, amazingly quickly, managed by me completing the IBS Audioprogram, via hypnotherapy. I doubt I would have even tried to help myself with the hypno, or anything else for that matter, if I hadn't done the time & effort with the therapist.... I probably woulda just lived with it.... I would have carried the cross of a burden that IBS can seem to be at times (sniff, sniff
) and just figured it was another lousy "lot" in my miserable life... Well you get the idea..
Hope this helps. BQ

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Does attitude effect your IBS...an interesting "Chicken-or-Egg" type question as it is a 2-way street biochemically no matter how you approach it. Anything which reduces the symptoms will improve our attitude which in turn will reduce severity and frequency biochemically, and anything which aggravates our symptoms will worsen our attitude then perpetuate the symptoms. I know my attitude sucked when I was at my worst, but ever since I gained control of my diet, and stopped provoking reactions which produced symptoms (both physical and mental biochemically) I have become a much more pleasant person and take things much more in stride. Everything is not so much of a constant-crisis all the time, which living with IBS fostered....crisis mentality. Not to mention my attitude towards the condition itself. Once I learned that the symptoms are reversible and avoidable I no longer succumb to the fatalistic views of "there is no answer....it is unknown" and the behaviors that go with it. Nor do I project that to victims of the condition. In fact it has made me rabidly the opposite: the persistent optimist about the condition rather than the resigned pessimist. I can see no value in the resignation and surrender approach to the condition when it has so many times been shown to be not only manageable with the right approach tailored to the person but full remission of symptoms has and does occur without pharmacotherapy. Adopting this attitude was a result of, and potentiates, the way I feel today which is the polar opposite of where I was 10 years ago. So I entered work which facilitates me projecting this message to other sufferers.And convsersely even a person who follows a protocol which does not properly address the dietary provocations can alter their perceptions of the symptoms and the relative seriousness (affective behaviors) of those symptoms by altered perception and valuing and thus attenuate them. This is why multi-modal IBS disease management protocols produce the best outcomes.And since attitude is a 2-way street one can start down the adjustment road it whichever direction suits one on the road to recovery and still probably get there.
Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Does attitude effect your IBS...an interesting "Chicken-or-Egg" type question as it is a 2-way street biochemically no matter how you approach it. Anything which reduces the symptoms will improve our attitude which in turn will reduce severity and frequency biochemically, and anything which aggravates our symptoms will worsen our attitude then perpetuate the symptoms. I know my attitude sucked when I was at my worst, but ever since I gained control of my diet, and stopped provoking reactions which produced symptoms (both physical and mental biochemically) I have become a much more pleasant person and take things much more in stride. Everything is not so much of a constant-crisis all the time, which living with IBS fostered....crisis mentality. Not to mention my attitude towards the condition itself. Once I learned that the symptoms are reversible and avoidable I no longer succumb to the fatalistic views of "there is no answer....it is unknown" and the behaviors that go with it. Nor do I project that to victims of the condition. In fact it has made me rabidly the opposite: the persistent optimist about the condition rather than the resigned pessimist. I can see no value in the resignation and surrender approach to the condition when it has so many times been shown to be not only manageable with the right approach tailored to the person but full remission of symptoms has and does occur without pharmacotherapy. Adopting this attitude was a result of, and potentiates, the way I feel today which is the polar opposite of where I was 10 years ago. So I entered work which facilitates me projecting this message to other sufferers.And convsersely even a person who follows a protocol which does not properly address the dietary provocations can alter their perceptions of the symptoms and the relative seriousness (affective behaviors) of those symptoms by altered perception and valuing and thus attenuate them. This is why multi-modal IBS disease management protocols produce the best outcomes.And since attitude is a 2-way street one can start down the adjustment road it whichever direction suits one on the road to recovery and still probably get there.
Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sure, I've noticed a relationship between attitude and IBS. Here's how it works for me -- in fact, it's much like eating: If I get all frustrated and grouchy, it seems to worsen the symptoms. The symptoms do not go away if I improve my attitude, but at least I don't make them worse.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.