Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been diagnosed for 1 year, try diet, medication and all sort of things. Nothing helps. I've been dating this guy for 2 months. I was in remission when I met him so it was easy. I could eat whatever I wanted to. But now it's back. I'm really mad at him because he can eat whatever he wants. I'm always hungry because I can't eat anything but bread. Otherwise I have gut pain. Even if I told him I didn't like to be touched when I'm ill he keeps doing it ! He doesn't know what to say at all. He just stands there with his puppy eyes asking me questions all the time. I was eating an apple and he asked if I was hungry. Just take a hint. Would eat if I wasn't hungry?I'm mad at myself because I have a flare up near the holidays. I'll miss christmas just like last year, eating grilled bread and only that. I can't go out. I just want to have a normal live. I'm so mad that it makes my stomach even more painful. I wish I was single or healthy.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I'm so mad that it makes my stomach even more painful.
Yup.. Anger & self pity can do that I have found too. So I learned to let go of them. AND.. I had less pain. Try it... :(I have found that reaching an acceptance of my IBS was a true turning point for me in my recovery. I had to learn to live with IBS instead of fighting it or just feeling angry & sorry for myself about it. I had to let go of those negative feelings and embrace the more positive ones like... 'I can learn to manage my symptoms'. So I got off the pity pot and got busy learning about IBS etc. (And I must tell you it could take WELL longer than a year to give ALL there is to try a good try.) I think ALL people IBS or not have to watch what they eat. I thnk ALL people have things about themselves or their bodies that are less than perfect. I figure everyone has something... I got IBS. And there are WAY worse things to get!
I wish I was single or healthy.
Tell that to those who have no one..... I have learned it only makes me feel better to carry a grateful heart. So perhaps... go through our forums again and see if you indeed have given everything a real good try..... I know it takes a lot of effort to try things... but it is effort well spent.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I haven't found the path to acceptance yet. I use to enjoy Holidays a lot. And since last year, I have flare ups in december. So on christmas eve, I'm eating white bread while all the other enjoy good food. I can't help it. I'm sad to miss christmas again.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I am positive your gut can handle MORE than just white bread... and I think perhaps you might be literally afraid to eat. Perhaps it is time for you to ask your Dr about some treatment for this anxiety??

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
How about some therapy? You could really benefit from some Cognitive Behavior Therapy.Sometimes medication is only half the treatment ya know? Check out our Hyponotherapy/CBT for more info.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was seeing a CBT shrink for a year and I got a little better. But I figured I could do well by myself since I was better. It cost 80$ an hour too, not very affordable at this time. My roomate moved out a while ago.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well then I guess you might need some more therapy... specifically in regards to expanding your diet and letting go your fear of foods. And if you can't do the therapy.. you could try expanding it on your own.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you suggestion to go back to therapy to not be afraid of food? I think I don't get it.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
If you cannot afford the therapy or don't want the therapy.. than I guess you can try changing your thoughts in regards to foods & eating yourself. Because from what you have posted... you can just eat toast or white bread.. and um.. that's NOT a good and healthy diet. IF you do no think you can change your thinking in regards to eating & foods on your own... you might need more therapy.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
No CBT is a MUCH more specific a therapy than just helping with "generalized anxiety". Therapy to
help with general anxiety and coping
is like regular therapy... not CBT. CBT is Cognitive Behavior Therapy. To help with specific behaviors. Perhaps the therapy you had before was not CBT.Like I said... look it up on our CBT/Hypnotherapy Forum for more info about it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well my shrink was specialized in CBT. She showed me mindfullness and stuff like that. I don't think she would use a regular approach. It was the whole point of seeing her.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well then perhaps you need to be more specific rather than just mindful about food & eating???

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.