Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, what is a probability of a man having a colon cancer later in his/her life, if he/ she has IBS currently. FYI: I'm 18yrs old, healthy (except IBS - no other problems besides IBS), student, What are my chances of getting a colon cancer and what is the statistical data > How many people get a colon cancer given that they have IBS? Thanks

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Where did you get the idea that IBS has any impact whatsoever on one's risk of colon cancer?It should be noted, however, that constipation and the use of laxatives has been correlated with increased risk of colon cancer in some studies.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Where did you get the idea that IBS has any impact whatsoever on one's risk of colon cancer?It should be noted, however, that constipation and the use of laxatives has been correlated with increased risk of colon cancer in some studies.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
As best as I can tell the exact same risk you would have if you did not have IBS.Colon cancer is common, so the risk is fairly high, but not any higher for IBSer.A high fiber diet, if it helps your IBS, may also help reduce the risk of colon cancer.Now if you have Ulcerative Colitis where there is gross inflamation of the colon that does seem to increase the risk for colon cancer because of the ongoing ulcerated inflamation (which IS NOT seen in IBS).K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
As best as I can tell the exact same risk you would have if you did not have IBS.Colon cancer is common, so the risk is fairly high, but not any higher for IBSer.A high fiber diet, if it helps your IBS, may also help reduce the risk of colon cancer.Now if you have Ulcerative Colitis where there is gross inflamation of the colon that does seem to increase the risk for colon cancer because of the ongoing ulcerated inflamation (which IS NOT seen in IBS).K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts