Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the news last night in England there was a woman who was told she had IBS by her GP kept going back and he kept saying the same thing when they finally scanned her found out she was pregnant, told her she was approx 4 months on had the baby the same day her mother in law delivered it at home. Another woman told she had IBS 4 5 years turned out t b a 5lb ovarian cyst non malignant thank god. Just thought i would let u know as doctors do make mistakes and r not perfect do know they cant get it right all the time but they ought 2 listen 2 their patients more.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Just remember, these are not the normal stories. Most of the time the most logical, reasonable, common explanation for your symptoms is really what is going on, and 10, 100, or 1,000 more medical tests will not change the answer.It also is difficult as patients often don't know how to give a good medical history, and often forget that one important detail or remember it only at the very last moment (doctor's call it the door knob question/detail--that one important thing they have to say is only said once your hand is on the door knob to leave the room--how often does that not get said at all).Doctors are not mind readers and for them to make good guesses (all diagnosis are a guess no matter how much data you have or don't have) it helps if you cooperate in the process. Unfortunately it is very hard to know what is important as a lay person. But I do recommend making a list of what you need to tell the doctor so you don't forget important details like I haven't had a period in four months (even if you usually are normally irregular and sometimes only have a period or two in a year).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unfortunately there are lots of very poor GP's in the UK.The department of health know this but they are in a difficult position. Many GP's are old (way past retirement age) and don't keep up to speed with practice. They stay in the game because it's so damn lucrative.Many of these elderly GP's work in inner city practices. There are no replacements for them.....so the DoH tends to turn a blind eye to bad practice. . . . . .any GP is better than no GP!Dr's are educated guessers.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I live in the UK and at the doctors recently when the nurse took blood from me, she said if Ihad money and could pay to be private that I would get much better treatment and care, and be offered more tests and medication. But as I am NHS and they are up to there eyes in debt( at least the hosptials around here are) to only expect the bare minimal tests and not the best of the medications. What do we pay our national contributions for. ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All my relatives live in Worcestershire and my mum who is 76 and in very good health has said if she is ever ill not 2 take her 2 the local hospital it has a terrible reputation and she was a nurse in a joke she said she wants 2 b treated at the vets as animals get better treatment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.