Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,I am new here, so if this subject has been covered and I just haven't read that far back, I apologize. I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with IBS just over a year ago, about a month after my symptoms began. Six months earlier, I finally ended (or should I say, won) a 15-year battle with bulimia. I am wondering now if there is any connection between the two? I asked my doctor, but she doesn't know. Thanks for your help,Jane

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Hi Jane and Welcome
I don't think I have read anything about a link between the two. But may I say Congratulations on your victory.
Here is a site that I have found very helpful. Click on "Diseases" to reach IBS. Don't forget to click on the "related diets" link at the bottom of the IBS page: http://www.gicare.com Hope this helps.BQ

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi jane.I am glad to hear you are overcoming this difficult condition. The exMrsMNL was among other things bulemic and I know wht you have been through.As far as comorbidity or relationship with IBS...I have read literally thousands of papers which realte to IBS from evry concievable tangential approach and do ot recall once ever seeing nything where the two conditions were mentioned in the same context.That dose not mean that there is no relationship...it only means that either I never came across the one(s) who explored it, or it has not been explored. A quick search online returned nothing, but maybe someone else has time for a more thorough search.MNL

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hi Jane and Welcome
Like other have said I havent heard anything about it...There was a time many years ago that I was scared to eat in fear of getting sick..When we would sit down to eat supper I remember many times I just pushed the food over to one side of my plate to make it look like I had ate some..I lost alot of weight....When I got my divorce I was down to 92 lbs and was 5'8..and thatwas a horrible time in my life...Very grateful I am not living like that today...anyway I think it is WONDERFUL that you have been able to get back on track.... One Day At A Time !!!!! Hang in there and learn all you can about IBS

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know if it is statistically related, but we seem to get a fair number of people here that had an eating disorder that got IBS. (but 15% of people with eating disorders would get IBS if they are not related at all)I suspect that mucking with eating could upset the normal digestive process and it may take some time with normal eating before things normalize. Now I think we get more ex-anorexics than ex-bulimics but that is just my memory of people who post here.K.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
COMMENT; _____________________________________"I suspect that mucking with eating could upset the normal digestive process and it may take some time with normal eating before things normalize." _______________________________________A good and intriguing line of thought for blue-skying. It has been seen from the opposite perspective with eating disorders linked to people who consume comfort foods (ie: stuff which is endorphinergic, exorphinergic, serotonergic properties) that as they overconsume them a certain % lose oral tolerance over time to one or more of the foods or a chemical in the foods.Like "lectins" for example....they consume so much lectin-containing foodstuffs that they start getting pseudoallergy reactions in the small bowel (first) and then "IBS-like" symptoms...which are miraculously gone once they stop overconsuming). In the case of the profile of a bulemic, my first expectation would be the constant evacuation of the stomach and proximal small bowel that occur is going to affect adversely the "homeostasis" of the upper GI tract, adversely affect digestive function (self evident) and thus adversely affect the proper "immune functions" essential in the smll bowel. (since it is already clear that there is enough disruption-by-evacuation to produce starvation).Lord what an unpleasant disease to try to overcome. My hat is off to Jane for doing so. I have seen more not overcome it than do.be Well.MNL

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi, I am also new to this board. I developed symptoms of IBS-C after I finally recovered from a 10-year battle with anorexia and bulimia I had been relatively healthy for about 6 months, and completely symptom-free for 2 months and then- bam, the pain hit. I couldn't believe it! I thought I must be jinxed.Only two of my health care providers have acknowledged a link between IBS and my E.D., a gynecologist and a dietician. They both suggested that my bowel may be getting used to functioning again, and it will take it time to relearn the proper metabolic processes. I had been prescribed perdiem with senna for years, and though I only took a spoonful I don't know if this affected it, but I used to be able to eat anything. Other people, including my psychologist and gastroenterologist, think the E.D.Hx has nothing to do with IBS. However,if you're looking for comorbidity, I may be proof! Just know that you are not alone in your frustration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,I'm glad to hear that you've recovered! I wouldn't wish bulimia on my worst enemey. I too was anorexic and bulimic for many years before taking control of my life and ending the vicious cycle 2 years ago. When I was putting my body through this trauma, I felt so bad, I'm not sure I noticed that I had IBS. The straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, was ephedra. I started taking ephedra to lose more weight, and the excruciating pain and constipation really kicked in.It's been four years since that happened. I'm not totally cured--I still have bad days occaisionally--but with the help of a nutritionist and excercise I've managed to get back on track.I'm not sure if I had this condition before I started binging and purging, but I know it was worse after.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, everyone, for you replies and your kind words. In one way, I think I am looking for a cause for my IBS (although I KNOW there are no known causes!), and in another way I think I am trying to blame myself. However, all of that energy is better spent on dealing with IBS itself, yes?
Caroline and JellyBelly, my hat is off to both of you for your recoveries. Obviously, I know how hard that is! I don't see how there couldn't be a connection between the two, as we all prevented our digestive systems from working properly for so long. The sheer irony is that it was only six months after I decided I would rather be healthy than be thin that IBS hit me. Yeah, I could go on and on about how it's not fair...but I know that everyone out there is thinking the same thing!
Jane

·
Registered
222 Posts
At first I thout it was ironic, but now I'm starting to think that it was more about fate. NOT that we are supposed to get punished but that, as you mentioned, our bodies were not used to functioning properly, and it was only after a few months of renewed exposure to the foods and chemicals normally subjected to intestines that we got IBS.Without whining further, I hope you know it is indeed unfair. Maybe with time the IBS will eventually surrender (or improve) the way our disorders did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts