Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here, but have been and IBS sufferer for years. I've been able to manage my symptoms with Immodium and haven't had any major problems. However, this past week I've had a really bad flare up. I know it's partially because of stress and anxiety. But, I've also been feeling exhausted and weak. My arms and legs feel like weights. The doctor I went to visit yesterday said it's probably because of the diarrhea and that I haven't been able to absorb enough nutrients. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had the same problems.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Absolutely. You are lucky your doctor even acknowledged the exhaustion. My D went on for months and I lost so much weight and became so weak that I could not get out of bed or risk falling over. I even lost the ability to think clearly. I had to change doctors to get someone to believe that I felt so ill. Some things that helped were:1. Getting the added diagnosis of small bowel bacterial overgrowth and taking antibiotbics to stop the chronic D2. Taking bottled easily digestible fatty acids (a bodybuilding product), taking the weight loss protein shake from Arbonne International (available through a consultant online; I used it because I could not eat and it was easy to digest and gave me some energy), taking a liquid multivitamin/mineral supplement and eating rice, baked potatoes and bananas were all I could manage.3. Going on medical leave helped me a lot to rest and recover. I slept when not eating to conserve energy.4. Drinking lots and lots of clean fresh water (NO energy drinks or artifical sweetners as that just made me feel worse).5. Taking calcium and D, taking imodium, staying away from PPi's and antacids, staying away from dairy, fat and wheat/gluten, staying away from coffee/caffine.I hope you feel better soon. I should add that I did start taking an antidepressant to help gain weight and control the D too. Now no longer need that but I cycle between probotics for two weeks and antibiotics for one week. I still take a number of supplements and try to eat well by avoiding junk food and genetically modified foods of all types especially grains. I eat only meats that are grass fed/antibiotic/hormone free and I juice/smoothie regularly (at least once daily) with fresh produce such as oranges/pineapple/limes, nuts, flax seed, my calcium pill for added health benefits. I still have problems if I eat greasy foods, drink coffee, eat dairy or drink any alcohol and ANY grain that is NOT organic. When I feel extremel weak, I try to eat better and hydrate to make certain my body is getting what it needs and I rest.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is a certain amount of sick and tired of being sick and tired that goes along with IBS. (or any other chronic illness).If the fatigue lasts and the usual, get enough sleep, eat better, get a short walk every day as well as a bit of sunshine and fresh air thing doesn't seem to make it go away then getting a physical to check for anemia and other standard fatigue causers is probably a wise move, and if those are clean you may need evaluation for fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, or sleep disorder issues that may be adding to the fatigue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.