Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a correlation between IBS and fatigue or insomnia? I have IBS-C and I'm always tired no matter how much sleep i get (and i'm not anemic- got checked) and recently I've had trouble sleeping while my IBS sypmtoms have also been bad. I'd be very interested to know if there's a link...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, funny we were discussing that yesterday. I don't know but it would be interesting to find out.It seems lots of us have trouble sleeping, me included. I'll see what I can find out.Jax

·
Banned
415 Posts
Heatgher Van Vorous of .. says in her book that not enough sleep and lack of rest is an IBS trigger. I know that when i have a bad day i get really tired. The more i go to the loo the more tired i get. From then it's just a viscous circle. Attack = tired, tired = attack! May just be me, but thats what i get. Can't comment on insomnia as i was diagnosed hyper-active when i was a baby and wake up about 8 times a night generally.Lisa

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input. I was thinking maybe with the body having to deal with problems from IBS it wears itself out? Just an idea. Jax, I'd be very interested to hear what you find out, thanks.( and thanks for the welcome joolie- so nice to talk to people who are dealing the same problems I am!)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
He he. I actually mentioned this yesterday. I too find that through an attack of D I get more and more exhausted and yet at night I am a complete insomniac! I'm happy being awake until 2am at the earliest and sleeping late, can't though thanks to 3 kids
But yep, I think there'd have to be some connection. So many of us suffer from this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi i sometimes have sleeping problems to im going through a good patch at the moment but before i felt like i was awake 24/7 i tried lots of herbal sort of stuff its helped a little i would of liked to try some sleeping tablets but my IBS doesent seem to like many medications
so i diddent want to risk it hope you have a good nights sleep soon

G

·
MMH don't know if there is an established link but count me in - certainly intermittently - and yes, I've had blood tests done. My problem seems to be early waking - which is often assocaiated with anxiety which is also often associated with IBS or certainly worsening of IBS-type symptoms.Anyhoo - welcome to the board - you'll find a wealth of good advice.Sue, Manchester

·
Registered
482 Posts
i never been a good sleeper even before my ibs but my ibs has made it worse, i cant remember the last time i slept through the night every few hours i wake up, my other half is sued to me cuddling up every few hours when i wake to get warmand comfy... my ibs is calm this week, i have a tummy bug theres alot of differences in my sufferings bu my sleep is bad but havin a cold has made me more tired too

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm IBS-C and can go to sleep at the drop of a hat though I don't sleep much more than 6 hours a night. When I'm really constipated (5 days or more), I'll feel fatigued and tired.Is this proof of something? Probably not but I can easily see why someone might feel tired if they're full of poop.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I think I'm tired not only from being full of poop and probably having all sorts of toxins building up in my body that aren't coming out because I'm not pooping. I'm probably also tired from having a daily battle to make my body function normally. I sleep a lot. I never really feel rested anymore. It stinks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.