Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several years I've alternated with constipation and diarrhea. I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I'm 67. Every once in a while, either constipation or diarrhea would be a problem. The last few months, I've had increasing abdominal pain which is resolved when I have a bowel movement. Once that has occurred, the diarrhea begins. Earlier this week things were much worse than I've ever experienced. The pain started when I was at work. I am a substitute clerk for the county library system. The pain started as bad and went up from there to where I thought I would pass out. Finally I was able to have a bowel movement and that seemed to resolve the pain slightly. I told the supervisor and left to drive home -- a 15 minute drive that I know by heart. When i got out of the car at home. diarrhea started and I couldn't stop it. When I made it to the bathroom, I had a mess in my pants and down my legs. It was so very embarrassing even though my son, who lives with me, took it in stride -- he's a pharmacy tech and has done a lot of research on IBS and fibro. I got myself cleaned up -- a shower was required -- and put on a nightgown. All I wanted to do was get to my bed. There was some more diarrhea during the night but not in the quantity that I had before.I slept most of the day yesterday and am still feeling rotten -- very tired -- almost a fibro flare feeling. I really don't want to go back and work my scheduled hours tonight. Has anyone had IBS affect their fibro that way -- aching, extremely tired -- for a couple of days? I've read alot of information about IBS but haven't seen anything so far on the effect of IBS on fibro and the effect of fibro on IBS. Can someone point out some sources?Sorry if this is disjointed -- it's hard to make sense today.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know if anyone has done a definitive quantification of the interactions, but every disease and disorder tends to be worse when you are under any type of physical stress. So anything like over-exercise, lack of sleep, or when any other illness is making you feel bad or causing symptoms.Lots of people report whenever anything else acts up (both acute illnesses like a cold or some chronic ailment) their IBS gets worse and FM gets worse.If you are having new and severe diarrhea it probably is worth checking in with your general doctor or your gastroenterogist. Unfortunately having IBS doesn't prevent other things from going wrong or getting a GI infection of some sort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kathleen,Nope -- no hormone issues.I have had this pain and diarrhea a couple of times before but figured it was something to do with my fibro. As I said, my son is a pharmacy tech and a few days before this last bout with pain, etc., he showed me an article that he had gotten at work -- it was about IBS and it listed my symptoms. So, on Tuesday night (the night I've been talking about), after I got home, got cleaned up and was in bed, I figured I had proof that I had IBS. Self diagnosis is probably not the best way to handle things like this. (rueful smile)I should have scheduled an appointment with Dr. Flint, my rheumatologist, but didn't. I felt rotten longer this time than I did with the last session -- just generally 'fragile' is the only way I can put it. I will definitely call Dr FLint on Monday. She's very easy to talk to. I think that I've been scared about this as my father died in '79 of abdominal cancer. DebPS Could you pass this along to BO who answered me on this when my post seemed to be under another name -- or was that another post from you? I don't post in many forums so I ten to get a little lost on how to post in one.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you click your name and us Find Member's Topics you can find the last few topics you started. Also can use to find other topics and posts by someone if you are interested in more things they had to say.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello fellow IBS and Fibro sufferer. I too have been diagnosed with both. I was 23 when a very young doctor just out of school called it Fibrositis (no one heard of that either). I always had a low grade temp, aches and pains, tired all the time, and then I was diagnosed with Diverticulitus (wrong) and then Colitis (wrong) and then finally IBS. I lost a day and a half this week from both the Fibro and the IBS. My mother always told me that aches and pains come from not emptying completely as I had the habit of being in such a hurry to get out with my friends I would not sit on the john long enough. Now that is all I do. I am now 64 and had my gall bladder out in October 2009 and the IBS has gotten worse even though I still watch what I eat. The bloating is irritating, especially when you go to buy clothes. And the pain on my left side is called splenic flexure syndrome. I will not leave the house without EqualActin. It can be bought over the counter and with the first tinge of a symptom I chew two tablets with a full glass of water. Walgreens does not stock it (why I do not know), but will order it. I also drink peppermint tea which helps. Like you,I hate the lack of energy and weakness. I take a Lactate tablet and start the day with Cobani yogurt that has six active cultures in it. I also take a Beano (which is not just for beans) and that help alot. Cobani yogurt is greek yogurt and I get it at the health food store and now Publix stocks it. I know coffee irritates the IBS but I love coffee. When I go to bed I take an Elivil for both the IBS and the Fibro. Good luck to all of us. We deserve medals and shame on those who do not understand what we are going through.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Nancy,Thanks for the recommendations. My son picked up some Cobani yogurt last time he was at the store. I'll try that tomorrow morning. Also, I called him and asked him to order some Equalactin. He's a pharmacy tech at the Pig which has been a big help for me. He's read quite a bit about IBS and Fibro. He knows that a day like today (thunderstorm and tornado threats) pretty much wipes me out. We are therefore having pizza tonight. ;-) I take Neurontin and Flexeril at night for sleep. I also take a Neurontin in the morning along with my antidepressant (Wellbutrin) and blood pressure pills plus some other stuff like a multivitamin, etc.. I feel like I should rattle when I walk.I think one thing that makes a difference for me is our animals. We have cats and dogs. They mean more work in things like vacuuming, etc. but are wonderful for taking my mind off an aching body. We have a fairly new puppy (Australian Shepherd) who is a hoot. He's 4 months old -- all shark teeth (his baby teeth -- mouthing when he wants my attention - we are working on stopping that) and licks. Our older Aussie Shepherd (5 years old) has been wonderful to teach the pup. Housebreaking was easy when the little one had someone to show him what house rules say to do.Another thing that keeps me sane is reading. Our library here (Columbia, SC) is great. I have stacks of books that I'll read some day. When I read a really good book, I can forget about the aches and pains, the limitations, the frustrations that occur in my life.Stay in touch. It would be nice to have someone who knows what all this is about. I can't find a support group in this area. Someone suggested that I start one but I haven't had the energy. Thanks for the recommendations.Deb

·
Registered
82 Posts
Deb,I, too, love to read. I can go through three books a week. And, yes, it takes us out of our painful world into someone elses life through books. I do not know how you do housekeeping. I have someone come in once a month. I find the dust aggravates everything and the physical effort to push the heavy vacuum, etc. takes it out of me. After getting up at 6 a.m. to be at work at 8 a.m. (it takes me that long just to find the courage to get up and get moving) then hours of stressful work(HR Director) listening to complaints and whining, I get home at 5:30 p.m. and would be happy with toast and tea, but the hubby wants meat, potatoes, and veggie. So, he cooks. I could care less what/if I eat. I force myself to stay up to even 8:30 p.m. and he does not understand. I am glad you got the yogurt, it puts the good bacteria back into your bowel. I am going to a nice beach front motel this weekend, just to read and listen to the ocean waves. That will help me alot. I have children that put alot of stress on me and that does not help. Everytime the phone rings I feel my stomach spasm. Even though they are 41 and 39, they still call Ma to tell their troubles to. I don't the heart to tell them I don't want to hear them as my life is hard enough already. Gee it is good to vent to someone who understands. Contact me anytime Deb. God Bless. (and my Christian faith helps immensely;I would not be here without God's help) Be well.Nancy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello DebJust wanted to follow up and ask if you tried the EqualActin and how the yogurt was. I was away over the weekend and stopped at an outlet and forgot to put my disabled tag in the window. Lo and behold when I got back there was a ticket for $255 on the windshield. Automatically my stomach started spasming so I know stress is a big factor. I got in the van and immediately took two EqualActin and by the time I got home I was ok. Keep in touch ok?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
There was an old study out of Australia which found a 100% correlation between CFS/IBS co-sufferers and lowered brain circulation. (Dr, Unger, U. Adelaide, 2002, I believe.) I am under the impression that similar mechanisms effect fibro, although I cannot point to a specific study. I used to work with a man who had a mild case of fibro. At the time I was treating my IBS and energy issues with a couple of supplements that had eliminated the problems. I suggested that he try them. He declined and eventually we both left our jobs. I ran into him a couple of years later and he had finally decided to try this approach, with great success. We both use flavonoid supplementation, mine is based on grape seed and skin with gingko biloba, his pine bark. There is evidence that these nutrients can cross the blood brain barrier and certainly the grape and gingko has a beneficial effect on circulation. The energy issues were addressed with a multi vitamin with highly absorbable minerals.Assuming you have no issues with slight blood thinning, this approach is easy enough to try.Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,You might be able to get out of the $255 if you go to court and take your placard. I did once. Now I have a license plate so I don't have to remember. It makes things much easier.I worked Saturday and came home really tired. Luckily it was slow. Sunday was breakfast with a friend, who is moving back to Virginia in a month or two. That's stressful as I don't have many friends. It's hard for friends to understand the tired feeling, flares, etc. Most of my 'friends' have faded away. Luckily my son is not only easy to live with (most of the time) but also we like some of the same kind of things -- books, movies (on DVD), etc, He also understands my moods and pain.I did try the Equalactn. I think it has helped. Yesterday I got some pains that I thought might lead to a problem and the pains went away after I chewed the pills. I haven't had a chance to get the yogurt. The budget has been really tight. I used to be a programmer/analyst at Blue Cross here in Columbia. But the fibro brought that to a halt. Once I was diagnosed I understood why I was forgetting things, etc. I was making really good money at that time. I had to retire because of the fibro -- and a director who was definitely out to get me -- she ended up in a role where she had no one reporting to her which was good. But having to deal with her tantrums, etc. really made flares build up more often than I could deal with.Anyway, to make a long story short, my son and I opened a bookstore after I retired. Found out that I am NOT a business person (fibro probably had something to do with that) and also that bookstores don't survive here. We don't have any independent bookstores in the city -- believe it or not. Sigh. When the bookstore had to close, I had a lot of outstanding debts and no money so I had to claim bankruptcy (talk about stress!!!) So, I am working for the library 10 - 15 hours a week (more in the summer) as a substitute clerk. I love the job but $10+ just doesn't go too far. My son't job is low-paying also. But we are surviving. The lovely thing is that a couple of weeks ago my son told me that he had learned from me that when you have a bad time, you just pick yourself up and keep going. If that's all he ever learns from me, I'll be happy. '-)Sorry for rattling on so. If you want to move our conversations over to regular email (which might be a good idea), you can find me at [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last few days have been a combination of hectic (mostly new puppy stuff) and not feeling well. I will write another email tomorrow and give more details. Thanks for checking -- that was nice of you. Hope all is going well with you.DebPS Had to answer this on the IBS bulleting board because I couldn't get my mail application working. Will try to fix that tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Nancy,Thanks for the recommendations. My son picked up some Cobani yogurt last time he was at the store. I'll try that tomorrow morning. Also, I called him and asked him to order some Equalactin. He's a pharmacy tech at the Pig which has been a big help for me. He's read quite a bit about IBS and Fibro. He knows that a day like today (thunderstorm and tornado threats) pretty much wipes me out. We are therefore having pizza tonight. ;-) I take Neurontin and Flexeril at night for sleep. I also take a Neurontin in the morning along with my antidepressant (Wellbutrin) and blood pressure pills plus some other stuff like a multivitamin, etc.. I feel like I should rattle when I walk.I think one thing that makes a difference for me is our animals. We have cats and dogs. They mean more work in things like vacuuming, etc. but are wonderful for taking my mind off an aching body. We have a fairly new puppy (Australian Shepherd) who is a hoot. He's 4 months old -- all shark teeth (his baby teeth -- mouthing when he wants my attention - we are working on stopping that) and licks. Our older Aussie Shepherd (5 years old) has been wonderful to teach the pup. Housebreaking was easy when the little one had someone to show him what house rules say to do.Another thing that keeps me sane is reading. Our library here (Columbia, SC) is great. I have stacks of books that I'll read some day. When I read a really good book, I can forget about the aches and pains, the limitations, the frustrations that occur in my life.Stay in touch. It would be nice to have someone who knows what all this is about. I can't find a support group in this area. Someone suggested that I start one but I haven't had the energy. Thanks for the recommendations.Deb

·
Registered
6 Posts
For whatever this might be worth: I took neurontin for a short time and my IBS-d progressed to incontinence while I was sleeping. Maybe that was a side effect or an interraction of some kind. It stopped as soon as I stopped the neurontin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts