Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else struggle to progress or maintain their fitness with IBS? I have trouble getting stronger and fitter and wonder if others have the same problem? If so, do you have any tips or have any sites/people online who have good info? Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello IBS1995
I struggle a lot with weight and strength and I am definitely not fit. I'm underweight and have some type of arthritis so working out is out of the question for me. I'm currently waiting for physical therapy and hopefuly I'll be able to do some excercises-honestly just "normal" walking will be an improvement for me. My condition is complicated but since my ibs is in remission at the moment I'm hopeful and looking forward to this therapy. Maybe I'll even gain some weight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's more difficult than for normal people but far from impossible.

Some things to consider from my person experience:

1. Exercise timing. It seems that for many of us, IBS symptoms are worse in the morning, so working out later in the day may be better.

2. Diet - keep your protein intake high with FODMAP friendly foods - I drink a lot of lactose free milk mixed with unflavoured whey protein isolate (isolate for low lactose content, unflavoured for lack of artificial sweeteners). This will help you build muscle and strength. Carefully examine the ingredients of any workout supplements you take because many contain things that can aggravate symptoms. Also, if you suffer from an overactive gastrocolic reflex, then don't eat too close to your workout.

3. Intensity/enjoyment. I have found that if exercise is particularly engaging, I sometimes achieve flow, during this time I totally forget about my IBS.

4. Medication. Sometimes if things are going particularly badly internally I'll take some imodium before the gym.

That's all I can think of for now, PM me if you have any other questions. When I'm feeling down about my symptoms holding me back, I try to re-frame my thinking like this: if I can become even half as fit/strong/big as an ordinary person can, while dealing with this horrible illness, that's pretty damn impressive and something to be proud of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My IBS symptoms have recently gotten worse and I don't know if I have a flare up or this is going to be something I'm going to have to live with. But yes, my workouts are suffering because I just started getting worsening symptoms and I don't want to eat. I think Whey protein is triggering my IBS and I am in a lot of pain. So I just eat smaller and not enough. I'm REALLY into fitness and just got back into working out after getting in horrible shape because of a herniated disc.

I burn about of 850-1000+ active calories a day from weight lifting. I am not eating enough to replenish myself and when I work out, I feel exhausted and weak. I'm starting to get really upset and discouraged.

I need to go to the doctor to confirm it's IBS. I was diagnosed during covid last year by telemedicine so might as well go in person and confirm it. 27year old here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that in this case, it is necessary to consult a doctor. There are many different ways to improve your health, ranging from taking essential vitamins to yoga in the morning. The important thing in this is your desire. I also recently started working out in the gym with a trainer since single workouts did not give me the necessary result, and I was only upset about it. My coach lately advised me to pay attention to products from https://rats.army/, since there are a lot of different vitamins and supplements that would help me improve my health, so maybe this advice will help you too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts