Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Amber and I believe I am currently suffering from IBS. I am 23 years old, and crohn's disease runs in my family as well as anxiety issues. I would like to give my history, possibly others are out there with my same issues.November 6th, 2006: MVA, girl pulled out in front of me and I teeboned her at 40+mph. Still in suit at this moment.2006: T11-T12 lateral disk herniation protruding into the spinal cavity - spinal compression present. 2 bulging disks at T10-T9. Scoliosis.Medications: Hydrocodone/APAP 7.5MG/750MG Tabs 2 times a day. Naproxen 500MG Tabs 2 times a day.2007: Neck pains began to get unbearable with the pain, migraines, and vision blurs. I also begin to have a lot of sciotica issues and lower back pain. Stomach becomes a problem with severe to mild cramping, vomiting,and other bathroom issues. Was diagnosed with reverse curvature of the neck (subluxation) from whiplash.Medications: Hydrocodone/APAP 7.5MG/750MG Tabs 2 times a day. Naproxen 500MG Tabs 2 times a day. Prednisone 20MG Tabs 3 times a day. Tramadol 50MG Tabs every 6 hours as needed. 4 Cortizone shots into thoracic spine. (last only a week)2008: Neck pain and back pain gets worse. Dismissed by Primary Care Doctor and Chiropractor, says I need to see a Neurosurgeon, there is nothing else that they can do for me.August 14th, 2008: Sees Neuro. Does tests, says needs new MRIs and positive I have an L4 or L5 disk herniation.August 20th, 2008: Had MRIs done of the thoracic and lumbar spine.August 28th, 2008: Neurosurgeon appointment - only T11 disk herniation putting pressure onto spinal cord. Explains leg weakness. NS could not figure out why I am in so much pain, my injury doesn't cause the symptoms. So I was told he doesn't think I need surgery and I just need to exercise. Recommends 12 Week Spine Strengthening Program. Need 2nd Opinion.October 6th, 2008: Started my first Spine Strengthening Class. I begin going 2 times a week for 12 weeks. Every 3 weeks, I will be seeing the Neurosurgeon to keep up with my progress to make sure the exercise is not making injury worse.October 15th, 2008: It's been 2 weeks so far with the spine strengthening class and I can already feel a tremendous difference. Although the neck pain is still extremely painful, the back is becoming more tolerable with pain. My range of motion is returning, however my strength is still 80% below my ages level. Taking more medication more then usual because of the pain after the classes. Is it helping, or making things worse???December 4th, 2008: I saw the NS after about 8 weeks of spine strengthening. My neck has gotten incredibly worse, having blurred vision, headaches, migraines, neck pain, a locked jaw, and biting of the lip at night. My pain meds are all gone. NS sends me for MRI of the neck and lower skull on Monday, Dec. 8th, 2008. NS put me on 75MG Lyrica one every night before bed for 2 weeks.June 2009: Many more months go by of more spinal strengthening for my back and neck. Last class was first week in June. Neurosurgeon said there was nothing else he could do for me, that I will always be in pain that I will just have to learn to tolerate it. Doing fairly well though considering, back to normal activities: treadmill (walking), swimming, bike riding, hiking, and grocery shopping alone. Still have the occasional severe pain shooting down right leg and hip. Neck still has its moments. No medications over the counter help with the pain. Over these past months I have been given Soma, Scolaxin, and Ambien. Now, I am on Restoril 7.5mg per night as needed.New symptom has started in May and has progressively gotten worse over the month. Not sure if this is from back/neck problems over the years from possibly over compensating weight back and forth on legs due to pain.September 2009: Lower back pain and thoracic pain becoming more noticeable once again. Starts off as achy, then will eventually start throbbing, shooting, and have sharp pains when moving a certain way. The pain likes to ball up into my pelvic area at the lower back, and shoot down the back/side of my leg nearly to my ankle, sometimes stopping at the knee. Causes very painful and uncomfortable moments.Missed nearly a week of work in August due to this lower back pain and leg shooting, actually considered going to ER, because I could barely walk from the pain, and I could not sit, stand, lay down, or anything. I would just lay and cry in pain and then it just went away over night. No medications were able to be taken for the pain because Neurosurgeon took me off of them. I have been without pain meds for nearly 6-8 months. It has been difficult. Stomach situations seems to be getting extensivly worse. Talked to primary about symptoms, she diagnosed me with General Anxiety Disorder. Hopefully this would calm my stomach problems.Current Medications:: Lexipro and Xanax for General Anxiety Disorder and Panic Attacks.September 2009: MRI of lumbar with new Orthopedic Surgeon.Surgeon says nothing wrong with lower back, says there is a great amount of fluid in abdomen, possibly stomach problems causing severe bloating, putting pressure on nerves in my back causing my "sciatica" pains. Makes sense now, after ending up in ER because I thought my apendix had burst. My intestines appears to be swollen in catscan, doctor gave me hydrocodone for the pain. This does not solve problem. Finally make appointment with GI doctor. Suggests colonoscopy, but is 99% sure it's IBS because I don't have blood in my stool to suggest UC or Crohn's. Due to insurance at the moment, have to wait on GI. He gave me a medication called Hyamax for stomach pains.Here are my stomach issues: * Abdominal distention * Abdominal fullness, gas, bloating * Abdominal pain or tenderness that: o Comes and goes o Goes away after a bowel movement o Occurs after meals nearly right after I eat * Chronic and frequent constipation, usually accompanied by pain * Chronic and frequent diarrhea, usually accompanied by pain * Emotional distress * Nausea and vomitingSometimes the stomach pain is so bad that I start to get really hot, and I have to take all of my clothes off, and it's like I can't sweat, so I am drinking water as well as pouring water all over myself to keep cool. Stomach hurts so bad, I begin to what seems like blacking out, nearly passing out when this type of attack happens. I usually am suffering from an attack this sever for up to an hour and a half, one to two times a month depending on what I eat. There doesn't seem to be a particular food that always triggers it, however, I know I cannot eat greasy, spicey, and food with alot of acidity in it. If I don't take my hymax soon enough, it doesn't help me because I vomit it up.Your thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions?It greatly effects my sexual life as well. Everytime my husband...turns me on....my stomach begins to hurt in gasious pain. Why?Thanks,Amber

·
Registered
982 Posts
From the stomach symptoms you list, they do seem most typical of IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The most telling one is "abdominal pain goes away after a bowel movement" - that is a classic sign of IBS and not IBD. The physical trauma you suffered as well as the mental can play into gut issues, like IBS. So the seriousness of that shouldn't be overlooked. You may need some therapy, hypnosis, biofeedback, etc. to help you with this.Have you kept a food diary to see if you can link your symptoms to certain foods. Or done an Elimination diet? Gluten-intolerance can cause very uncomfortable gas, bloating, and distention. So you may want to check into that as well.I'm not a doctor, but I do have both IBS and Ulcerative Colitis and in all honesty, to me, your gut symptoms so very indicative of IBS. But, that Dx shouldn't be given until your doctor rules out all other possible GI issues. Best of luck,Elizabeth

1 - 2 of 2 Posts