Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I posted a topic about a month ago about my symptoms. But now I've got kinda a more specific question about what's going on. Basically one of my worst, and most bothersome symptoms is an intermittent gurgling/spasming feeling in my stomach. It happens more on the right side, mostly on the side, in the groin and up in my back right below my rib cage. If I place my hand on an area, I can actually feel movement when this happens. Sometimes it happens in the middle or left side of my stomach too, but it seems much more prominent in the right side. I don't have a whole lot of pain, and this symptom seems to act up after I eat (not all the time) and when it does happen I have a lot of gas, though not much diarrhea, only occasionally. I've read posts and sites that say that gas is certainly prominent with IBS, but does anyone have it so much that they can actually feel it moving around like this? Could it be something worse than gas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Just hearing other people say that they have that or think that it's IBS makes me feel a lot better already. I've always had a screwed up digestive system since I was a kid (bouts of random loose stuff on occasion) but lately it's been much more frequent. I think stressing about it might be playing a role too.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Jaboop, Just to be on the safe side... have you sought or gotten an IBS diagnosis from a Dr yet? If not I would urge you to go to the Dr. It is never a good idea to self diagnose.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I get such loud gurgling that I now pretty much avoid being around people in quiet areas. Sometimes the sounds come in these sharp bursts. There's not really any pain, it's just really embarassing. I can definitely feel movement of something - I don't know if it's gas or what.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think that you need to have more symptoms than just loud gurgling to have IBS. Most people here would be delighted if they only had loud gurgling noises. I have written about this subject before because I too had very loud noises with IBS, even when I was not having much else going on. I would usually have a bit of pain or an odd sensation immediately preceding the gurgling, though. Surprisingly, the noises have reduced markedly since starting Amitryptaline, much to my husband's relief as he now isn't woken up by them.Also, I had very little gas due to following a low gas producing diet, but still had this symptom. For you, if may be worth trying to reduce gas production to see whether this lessens it's occurrence. Kathleen refers to a useful link for this in some of her posts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply Jilly. I don't have the gurgling as my only symptom, I also have the sensation, plus the occasional diarrhea. It's definitely not bad all of the time, and usually when I get the problem it only occurs after I eat dinner or later at night. I've tried to find something in my diet, but there's just no common denominator.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It probably isn't what you eat.The colon is more active after meals so often these symptoms pop up after meals. Larger heavier meals, like dinner, often set off more activity than smaller lighter meals. You might see if 4-5 mini meals a day is better than 3 meals with a large dinner.

·
Registered
80 Posts
me too. its strange but i found that some types of gurgling will actually go away if i eat something...but then i get gas. u cant win em all i guess. also stress definitely makes it significantly worse for me. quiet, crowded places are a signal for the gurgle to announce its presence loud and clear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, the gurgling is definitely intermittent. I've gone a few days without it being too bad. It does tend to go away after about 30 minutes after I eat most of the time. Another issue I forgot to bring up and don't know if it's related is the fact that on occasion I'll get a wet sticky discharge from the anus. It's not a lot, and I don't know if it could be IBS related. Does anyone else get this on occasion too?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.