Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have IBS-A and I'm suffering from anemia so I'm supposed to be taking iron pills for it (ferrous gluconate - 35 mg elemental iron). The problem is that whenever I take my iron, a couple days later I end up with a painful blockage! I've almost passed out from one of the blockages, it's such a horrible experience and then I'm left in pain for days because of the damage it caused.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do?

· Registered
70 Posts
Check with your doctor because some will say this is okay and others may completely disagree depending on your health profile. I take Iron every day but I also take 1 - 2 Colace each evening for brief periods. When I first started with the Iron years ago I took Colace for about two weeks and then gradually backed off. My body adjusted (as long as I drink enough water) and I'm fine. When I have a flare, I need to go back to the Colace for a couple weeks. My constipation isn't as bad as what you described though.

Another alternative, depending on the degree of your anemia, is to eat iron rich foods cooked in an iron skillet and avoid sugar which some say can deplete iron stores.

· Registered
13 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but I would like to hear more from others who have successfully taken iron supplements.

I was diagnosed with anemia and I had to get iron infusions because my bone-marrow iron was depleted. Since then I have tried an iron pill, but after taking it I had a lot of pain and soft, almost-diarrhea stools. I get such symptoms to a lesser degree at other times, but they were greatly aggravated by the iron supplement. I felt much sicker and more tired than usual after just one pill, and there was no way I could continue with those supplements.

Has anyone reading this topic found some iron supplements to be more "gentle" than others? Meaning, did any particular brand work well for you even if others made you sick?

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, I actually figured this out for myself. I kept going back to my doctor and trying different things and finally I have been taking FeraMAX powder iron supplement for the past couple months. It's a powder you just mix in water and drink. I get no pain at all and it works well for me! It's apparently given to babies a lot. So definitely worth a try!!

Reactions: BettyA
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.