Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

IBS and Menstrual week

2K views 60 replies 16 participants last post by  em.london 
#1 ·
This is for all the women with IBS.D/CI am having a terrible time with my IBS and when I am having my period. For 3 wks of the month I can pretty much keep my IBS under control with the odd exception. However, my period week is a nightmare. I can't leave the bathroom, I have major Diah, Cramping pain, and vomiting, not to mention the problems of bleeding and backache !. I have spoken to my DC twice now about having it all out but she says that I am too young (33yrs) and they won't operate due to complications, it causes more problems without your overies.I have just had a week of hell and am coming to the end of my thether. I was told it would improve after having a child. My child is now 9 yrs and it hasnt.Does anyone else have the same nightmare ? What have you used to help ? is there anything to help ? Any input would be appreciated.Thanx

#6 ·
Hi, i know just how you feel. I too am very ill just before the demon comes , it makes me feel so ill that sometimes i just wish i didnt wake up in the morning. i used to have D all the time BUT now i have D and C . I seem to get so backed up for a about a week and i feel so ill , my back hurts i feel weak and very bloated. i also feel as if i have low blood sugar (i dont but it is as if my brain is telling my body i have ??). I cant seem to relax when all this is going on and i get very snappy with everybody (kids included). will this ever end i am begining to feel that i am a bid weight around my familys neck . i feel they all think god here she goes again !.(sorry its a bad week and i am feeling sorry for myself). Anyway i was thinking about going to see a herbalist , well i will try anything to make me feel better.... I hope you start to feel better soon ??? and just remember you are never alone on this site . I LOVE IT Heidi :love:

#7 ·
Hi, i know just how you feel. I too am very ill just before the demon comes , it makes me feel so ill that sometimes i just wish i didnt wake up in the morning. i used to have D all the time BUT now i have D and C . I seem to get so backed up for a about a week and i feel so ill , my back hurts i feel weak and very bloated. i also feel as if i have low blood sugar (i dont but it is as if my brain is telling my body i have ??). I cant seem to relax when all this is going on and i get very snappy with everybody (kids included). will this ever end i am begining to feel that i am a bid weight around my familys neck . i feel they all think god here she goes again !.(sorry its a bad week and i am feeling sorry for myself). Anyway i was thinking about going to see a herbalist , well i will try anything to make me feel better.... I hope you start to feel better soon ??? and just remember you are never alone on this site . I LOVE IT Heidi :love:

#13 ·
Hi - I can relate to what you describe and yes, it affects me too although not every month. I feel for you - it's not funny, I know.Somethings which have helped me in the past for the combination of periods and ibs have been : The dreaded word "exercise" - especially swiiming - and/or yoga. I also had some relief by taking vitamin/mineral supplements (but take care because they can aggravate ibs) and evening primrose oil.Alternatively - might a short period on the comtraceptive pill help?Msybe you need some respite to let your body sort itself out.One more thing - just a thought - have you been checked out for endometriosis? I hear that the symptoms are similar to ibs and they ARE affected by your monthly cycle.good luckliz xx

#12 ·
Hi - I can relate to what you describe and yes, it affects me too although not every month. I feel for you - it's not funny, I know.Somethings which have helped me in the past for the combination of periods and ibs have been : The dreaded word "exercise" - especially swiiming - and/or yoga. I also had some relief by taking vitamin/mineral supplements (but take care because they can aggravate ibs) and evening primrose oil.Alternatively - might a short period on the comtraceptive pill help?Msybe you need some respite to let your body sort itself out.One more thing - just a thought - have you been checked out for endometriosis? I hear that the symptoms are similar to ibs and they ARE affected by your monthly cycle.good luckliz xx

#15 ·
Thanx girls for all your replies. Its good to know that I am not the only one who goes through this every month.I was wondering if going private and having it all out would work but if the dc is right about probs with HRT would it be worth it ?.I just know I cant do this every month, like Heidi said its too much sometimes.

#14 ·
Thanx girls for all your replies. Its good to know that I am not the only one who goes through this every month.I was wondering if going private and having it all out would work but if the dc is right about probs with HRT would it be worth it ?.I just know I cant do this every month, like Heidi said its too much sometimes.

#19 ·
My IBS will flare up before my period too, when it does. My doctor and I tried out taking my bc pills contunuously and it REALLY helped. I have to let myself get my period once inawhile, but at least it isn't every month.

#18 ·
My IBS will flare up before my period too, when it does. My doctor and I tried out taking my bc pills contunuously and it REALLY helped. I have to let myself get my period once inawhile, but at least it isn't every month.

#24 ·
OK I give up...to whomever the observing tekkie is, I put together some interesting references on this subject for the ladies and every time I try to post I get this error message: ________________________Sorry, we do not permit this HTML tag: Parenthesis in HTML tag __________________________So which parenthetical statments in a post are going to block it? I would like to post the info as i9t will be of interest to ladies with these observed problems, but it seems impractical to strip the parentheses from every abstract...but is that what has to be done?I will save the resposne and if a kind tekkie will instruct me I will fix it and post it laterMNL

#25 ·
OK I give up...to whomever the observing tekkie is, I put together some interesting references on this subject for the ladies and every time I try to post I get this error message: ________________________Sorry, we do not permit this HTML tag: Parenthesis in HTML tag __________________________So which parenthetical statments in a post are going to block it? I would like to post the info as i9t will be of interest to ladies with these observed problems, but it seems impractical to strip the parentheses from every abstract...but is that what has to be done?I will save the resposne and if a kind tekkie will instruct me I will fix it and post it laterMNL

#27 ·
you are not alone!! my ibs is pretty well under control (haha yeah, right) most of the time, but during my period i get rotating fits of D and C. bc pills = birth control pills, i take them too, but i am not doing the continuous pills yet, i hope to start that though, and then only have 1 period every 3 months or so. however, i just got switched to a different pill and i want to see if it is ok on it's own before starting the 3 months deal. MIKE: i got that same parenthesis message before too, i had these things < in my message - when i took them out it was ok.best wishes to all, i sure hope you get your pain/period worked out hun!!!~mrs. mason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.