Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you suffering from IBS - D also get migraines? Ive been getting them lately and was just curious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do, but I have been getting migraines my whole life, IBS the last 8 years. I take Imitrex for migraines If I take it fast enough it works great.

G

·
I have predominantly IBS/C and have been suffering for about 8 years though not too badly compared to many on this site and have had intermittent migraines (classic migraine all singing and dancing - auras, sickness, numbness etc) since I was 19, am now 42 (god how depressing!!) though I would not think there is a link between my conditions (though it might very well be in others).

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have ibs and get migraines too.
i have had ibs since i was a kid. i never remember not having it. migraines i guess started later on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carlton, do u ever get a stiff neck after a migraine? My Dr. just gave me some imitrex to try, so I hope that helps. These migraines are new to me and Ive been dealing with IBS for about 5 years now. I dont know which ones worse

·
Registered
2 Posts
No stiff neck, unless I sleep wrong. sleep has always been the best thing for my migraines. If the Imitrex does not work there are other meds that might so dont give up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I get migraines occasionally as well-- but they started before the IBS (by 6 years) and they haven't been as intense the last couple of years. I take either Maxalt MLT for migraines (if I feel one coming on before the pain hits) or Percocet if I don't catch it in time and I'm in agony. Usually 2 Percocet followed by another 2 about 4 hours later knocks it out, or allows me to sleep and I feel better the next morning. Regarding the stiff neck-- I usually get a stiff neck before and during a migraine, which probably means I have a combination tension/migraine headache. Imitrex works OK for me, but the moment after taking it is very uncomfortable-- the tightening of the chest, the rapid heartbeat-- no fun. For me Maxalt is much better. I take Maxalt MLT, which you dissolve under your tongue and its works within seconds (like the old Imitrex injections did). I think there might be an Imitrex nasal spray, but I hear it's not as effective. The sublingual Maxalt is the ticket in my book, with Percocet as the backup. Sorry you're suffering from migraines-- I know how debilitating they are (kind of like IBS in another way), but the medications they have now are so much better than when I first got them. I used to have to take Ergotamine (Caffergot) or strong doses of caffeine. Sometimes I even had to go to the emergency room for Demerol, but with Maxalt and Percocet, I haven't had to go to the ER in over 10 years. Best of luck and I hope the Imitrex works. If not, there are a lot of different drugs-- Frova, Amerg, Fiorinal, Percodan, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to get bad migraines but this cleared up totally after eliminating the usual food suspects.However, during a particularly bad ibs flare up last summer I ended up with a migraine. I took my special migraine pill and hey presto - the ibs disappeared straight away.In fact, I've decided to try that pill again. Today is the first day in weeks that my stomache has stopped hurting. I wish that I had thought of this connection sooner.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am from the Constipation board. I suffered from migraiunes from C for almost 10 years. Debilitating! Tried everythig. I now take a cayenne capsule every night before bed. This helps so much! The migraines are virtually gone. I am so thankful I found this remedy.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think the cayenne does help with inflamation that might cause constipation. I take cayenne and a few spoonfulls on ground flax seed every day. It has helped more than anything I have tried before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is strange never thought of a connection before. I used to get really bad migraines as a child and young adult. They have stopped and now I get IBS-D. Wonder if there is a connection, as when the migraines stopped the IBS started.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts