Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if ibs and multiple sclerosis are linked somehow? Any info would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
They are not linked as far as I know. However, it has been suggested that the gut nerves can get any disease the brain can get. Still, I am not aware that MS plaques have ever been detected in enteric neurons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Devon, I too have never heard of IBS and MS being connected. I can tell you that my mom had MS for 13years(she is gone now) and she did have problems just like IBS.I have never thought of it until I read your post. I would like to talk more with you about this as I also have a friend who was just diagnosised ed with MS. Please e-mail me at mrt2806903###aol.com.Thanks MarytI decided to add this to this post I just happened to trip over this while I was looking for something else.The international MS support foundation has a web site.On this web site is a Dr. Weinreb faq board.It might give you some insight.(aspin.asu.edu/msnews/faqbowel.htm)In short what he says is that IBS is found in MS patients, but that both MS and IBS are so common that he's not sure that there is any medical connection. It does make interesting reading because he does talk about IBS. [This message has been edited by maryt (edited 03-18-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure about IBS and MS, but I have two cousins who have crohn's (sp?) disease and they had an aunt (not my blood relative) who had MS. My cousins were told by doctors of a link b/w MS and crohn's. One of my cousins was first told she had IBS before they finally diagnosed crohn's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.