Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am 21 years old and had recently been to the doctors and found I have IBS. He put me on a high fiber diet and it has been a couple weeks and I really don't feel that big of a difference in the way of how I am feeling. The biggest problem that I have and concerned about is that when I am in school sitting in class for two hours straight, I get gas pains and spasms. It is very uncomfortable and annoying because my stomach then starts to get noisy as well. I am always usually nervous at school especially whith test taking, but it is getting hard for me to concentrate in school. I am kind of new to all this. What should I do to help with that? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Welcome Dana, what you posting is pretty coomon for IBSers."Why some people feel the burden of stress in their gutâ€"and not for instance, in their heartâ€"can also be explained by the close communication between the brain and the gut. When the big brain consciously perceives a stressful situation, it calls on its fraternal twin through specialized cellsâ€"called mast cellsâ€"embedded in the gut's lining. These mast cells secrete a chemical called histamine, which activates the nerves controlling the gut, telling the muscles to contract. Hence, the cramps and bathroom trips so often associated with bouts of stress. "http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/bristow/386/newarticle.htmThere are also other cells in the gut that release serotonin called enterochromaffin cells, which is a problem in IBS.http://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/71210261/m/369100861

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Dana and Welcome!
My daughter and son are around your age, and my daughter has this nervousness for testing, etc. But at home her symtoms usually subside - is that true for you as well?IBS has a strong mind-gut connection, and if that connection can be broken, you can reduce your IBS symptoms.We have several young people on this BB - you may want to check out the young adult forum - both Nikki and Grant are around your age as well as others.You may want to take a peek at the links below for some possible help. Nikki, Eric and I and many others on this BB have tried using clinical hypnotherapy to help break that mind-gut connection and I have greatly reduced my IBS (had it since 1983 - just after my son was born - a bit older than you!)The clinical hypnotherapist who developed this program is in England and has worked with many young adults - one of his students missed out on 2 years of school due to IBS, and now went back to their university with no problems. The good part of it is that it can be done with anything else your doc recommends, and the method has been clinically trialled for years with a very good success rate and longevity.Feel free to ask us any questions you may have, or email if you wish.I hope this info helps you, and all the best to you in your journey to find healing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Dana,I am new to these forums as well, but am in your situation. I am 26 but started with the problems you are describing at 21 also. I was also started on the fiber diet but it did not work. My advice would be to try everything treatment by treatment. For example, I ended up on paxil and librax, but tried every natural method first before resorting to drugs. This was a personal choice. My worst nightmare is 2 hr classes (I am finishing up my Masters) Good Luck to youChris

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is going to sound silly, but I find that when I don't feel well and I have to go to class, if I take a couple of non-drowsy dramamine like a half hour before the class starts I feel a lot better. It also helps me to eat a little something before I go like a grahm cracker or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.