Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has had a similar experience, but I'm putting this out there, just in case!

I'm a 30-year-old woman and in March this year, doctors found a huge ovarian cyst on my left ovary, which was found to be benign and subsequently removed through a laparotomy. The cyst used to cause a pulling lower left abdominal pain which went away after the surgery.

In June, I started experiencing lower left abdominal pain (this time, a deep pain) and tenderness above my belly button. I panicked, thinking I had another cyst and got an ultrasound but all was clear.

In August, I developed developed persistent diarrhea, a change in BM, gassiness, and more abdominal pain. This time, the full spectrum of pain - twinges, soreness, deep pain, sharp pains. It was mostly focused in the lower left region again, but none of it was intense enough to warrant painkillers. I also started getting a backache.

After a few months of not going back to normal BM, I finally met a doctor who said it sounded like IBS but recommended a colonoscopy and ultrasound. At the time, I thought a colonoscopy sounded extreme and settled for an FOB test and ultrasound instead - both of which were clear. The doc prescribed Meteospasmyl for me, but it didn't work too well - although, admittedly my meals are irregular and I'd forget to take the meds pretty often.

In the weeks that followed, I proceeded to torture myself about the possibility of colorectal cancer at my age (I'm a smoker, but no other risk factors or red flags like blood in stool, fatigue, etc.) and worked myself up into a state of complete panic. I wasn't sure if my symptoms were consistent with IBS - whether some of the pain was related to my surgery, or to my digestive tract. The back pain also started worrying me.

Anyway, I finally had a colonoscopy last week to put my mind at ease and fortunately they found nothing. I have now been definitively diagnosed with IBS. The doctor did tell me that abdominal surgery for cysts often precipitates the development of IBS, so if any young women recently had a cystectomy and are now facing gastric issues, stomach pain and backache (and NO red flag symptoms - you can Google these online), my heartfelt advice to you is to relax and not drive yourself crazy like I did! Get tests done if you're really worried, but don't torture yourself, the symptoms are absolutely consistent with IBS as I have now learned. Also, the doc explains that the occasional lingering pain around surgery site may be due to adhesions and scar tissue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The doctor did tell me that abdominal surgery for cysts often precipitates the development of IBS
I'm a bit suspicious of this and mechanism behind it. I was diagnosed with IBS when it was endo, my bowel symptoms resolved totally after the cyst removal and then became 10x times worse after a few months. I said before I think it may be related, given the timescale, but the doctor didn't care to hear it. It's interesting your doc said that but at the same time it doesn't really say much...

So the surgery that's meant to improve things, might help but make you worse in another way, but why? What's the cause? Is there a way to minimize that complication during surgery?...not asking you, of course, just wondering

·
Registered
587 Posts
This happened to me, but with rectal prolapse surgery. It's like they tell you you NEED a surgery but don't care to tell you oh by the way you might feel 10x worse after. I have suspected endo for years but am now so hesitant to have the exploratory surgery to find out. It's like it's not even worth the risk which is so frustrating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.