Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have suffered ibs(mostly D) for around 20 years and was smoking for around 25 years. Was always told that ibs symptoms would improve if I quit smoking. I quit around 3 - 4 weeks ago, "cold turkey", from 2 packs a day to nil!!However, my ibs is much, much worse since quitting - can anyone tell me why or give me any advice - apart from smoking again which I really don't want to do!! Any comments would be welcomed.liz

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Lizbec,I'm IBS-D too, and stopped smoking 1 1/2 year ago (have IBS-D since my 17th, smoked since my 16th, am now 45). One month later the worst D-episode in my life started. I really don't know if it has something to do with stopping smoking, or getting hayfever for the first time around that time, or anything else. Someone here suggested once it might have something to do with the levels of serotonin going haywire after quitting smoking. I have found relief in taking Calcium Carbonate (see the Over the Counter Forum, at the bottom of the page go to the 'Hop to' link and from there to that Forum), Caltrate Plus is sold by Boots. I'm also keeping to a low-carb diet and take probiotics. It's very good you have stopped smoking, I hope you will get more replies and will find something that works for you here,Fay

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Lizbec,I'm IBS-D too, and stopped smoking 1 1/2 year ago (have IBS-D since my 17th, smoked since my 16th, am now 45). One month later the worst D-episode in my life started. I really don't know if it has something to do with stopping smoking, or getting hayfever for the first time around that time, or anything else. Someone here suggested once it might have something to do with the levels of serotonin going haywire after quitting smoking. I have found relief in taking Calcium Carbonate (see the Over the Counter Forum, at the bottom of the page go to the 'Hop to' link and from there to that Forum), Caltrate Plus is sold by Boots. I'm also keeping to a low-carb diet and take probiotics. It's very good you have stopped smoking, I hope you will get more replies and will find something that works for you here,Fay

G

·
It is great that you have quit smoking. I also have quit smoking, been 5 months for me also going cold turkey. I had not noticed IBS in awhile, so after I had surgery and quit smoking I got worse. Finally after 5 months of wondering what was going on in my body, I get a diagnosis other than anxiety.. (which I was NOT accepting), Gastro says IBS again. COuld be the body is trying to get back to normal.. Thats my opinion.. Keep the quit!!Momof2qts

G

·
It is great that you have quit smoking. I also have quit smoking, been 5 months for me also going cold turkey. I had not noticed IBS in awhile, so after I had surgery and quit smoking I got worse. Finally after 5 months of wondering what was going on in my body, I get a diagnosis other than anxiety.. (which I was NOT accepting), Gastro says IBS again. COuld be the body is trying to get back to normal.. Thats my opinion.. Keep the quit!!Momof2qts

·
Registered
197 Posts
You should be very proud of yourself. I quit smoking in march and have had a bad time with ibs d. I have been doing the calcium for a month now. Caltrate 600 Plus. I wish I knew about it before. It helps me 90% of the time. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
197 Posts
You should be very proud of yourself. I quit smoking in march and have had a bad time with ibs d. I have been doing the calcium for a month now. Caltrate 600 Plus. I wish I knew about it before. It helps me 90% of the time. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think D can be a part of the nicotine withdrawl. Quitting cold turkey, especially if you smoked two packs a day, is a shock to your system in many ways, so there will be some adjustment. And it's a stressor on your body, in a sense, which could also cause D. Stick with it, and I'm sure you'll feel better before too long. This is so much healthier for you and those around you. And just think of all the money you'll save by not buying cigs!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think D can be a part of the nicotine withdrawl. Quitting cold turkey, especially if you smoked two packs a day, is a shock to your system in many ways, so there will be some adjustment. And it's a stressor on your body, in a sense, which could also cause D. Stick with it, and I'm sure you'll feel better before too long. This is so much healthier for you and those around you. And just think of all the money you'll save by not buying cigs!

·
Registered
684 Posts
omg guys you are scaring me lol i have been planning on quitting for about a couple months...i told myself that the last day of this year would be my last smoking day. i smoke about 2 packs a day. does everyone who quits smoking get worse with ibs??????

·
Registered
684 Posts
omg guys you are scaring me lol i have been planning on quitting for about a couple months...i told myself that the last day of this year would be my last smoking day. i smoke about 2 packs a day. does everyone who quits smoking get worse with ibs??????

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tyler - Try not to worry; it could be just me - and anyway it just has to be better than the nasty diseases you could get from smoking. Why not try quitting with Nicotine replacement therapy - I think my mistake was to go cold turkey. And try logging on to quitnet - I couldn't have done it without them. Send me a private message if you need to and good luck!
hugs, liz

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tyler - Try not to worry; it could be just me - and anyway it just has to be better than the nasty diseases you could get from smoking. Why not try quitting with Nicotine replacement therapy - I think my mistake was to go cold turkey. And try logging on to quitnet - I couldn't have done it without them. Send me a private message if you need to and good luck!
hugs, liz

·
Registered
684 Posts
Liz, lol thats my plan is to go cold turkey...i quit a couple of years ago like a month before i knew i was pregnant and then like a dummy i started back up again like 3 months after i had my son
but yes, after reading all of the posts on this, the only thing that is still gonna make me quit is for my son (who now has asthma) and for myself so i can be here for a long time hopefully
thanks ill try logging on to quitnet...how do i do this? lol and also what is sending you a private message? and how do i do that? sorry im kinda new to this site and dont know everything about it yet...but thanks again

·
Registered
684 Posts
Liz, lol thats my plan is to go cold turkey...i quit a couple of years ago like a month before i knew i was pregnant and then like a dummy i started back up again like 3 months after i had my son
but yes, after reading all of the posts on this, the only thing that is still gonna make me quit is for my son (who now has asthma) and for myself so i can be here for a long time hopefully
thanks ill try logging on to quitnet...how do i do this? lol and also what is sending you a private message? and how do i do that? sorry im kinda new to this site and dont know everything about it yet...but thanks again

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, should have made myself clearer! Lol! OK - quitnet link = www.quitnet.com. To send a private message to someone, just click on the icon at the top of a message. I'll send one to you if I can (I'm new to this site as well). Good luck with both IBS and quitting - you're doing the right thing!liz

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, should have made myself clearer! Lol! OK - quitnet link = www.quitnet.com. To send a private message to someone, just click on the icon at the top of a message. I'll send one to you if I can (I'm new to this site as well). Good luck with both IBS and quitting - you're doing the right thing!liz

G

·
I think alot of my symptoms are because of the quit. It still seems like yesterday to me that I smoked. Sort of like my body expects a cigarette at any time now. For anyone considering quitting, my suggestion is to use an aide or a couple of them. I went cold turkey, and am having one heck of a time, even after 5 months. I think the body must adjust to the differences since the quit and therefore the IBS kicks in.. Lets pray in time it gets better again.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.