Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sit all day at work and find my sciatica is acting up again, but I also notice that during this latest "bout" of IBS my sciatica is worse. I can actually feel the gas in my intestines pressing on the nerve.This is a new one for me.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well if that sciatic nerve is angry enough..doesn't surprise me that you would be feeling this. Have you any treatment to ease the sciatica? Perhaps a trip to the Dr's or the Chiro may ease it for you. I know this can come & go and the severity of it varies from bout to bout.. but perhaps it is time to go see someone about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I am so tired of doctors, I don't want to see another one for a while, a long while. I used to work for Ortho MD, know the drill on sciatic....rest, meds, rest, meds.Just frustrated that IBS exacerbates other things I have that normally wouldn't bother a person.Thanks though, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wendaka I know it is miserable. I have had it twice and yeah I know the drill too. I remember being worried about making to the bathroom in time then because I sure couldn't move very fast. And the meds... oy... I had to take Benadryl with them or I would throw it all up. So I know it is an awful thing to have along with the IBS. Try to hang in there and give your gut a break with easy to digest comfort foods while on the meds. Hope you have a heating pad and perhaps when you get to feeling a bit better, you can try those heat patches if you haven't already. I didn't think they would work.. but they do and made such a difference for me. I even use them on my ab when my IBS pain is REAL severe.I *do* hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just read the posts on sciatica , was treated for sciatica at local emergency room and suffered thru pain meds.. ( hydrocodone ) and found out that the bloating and swelling and back pain I get when I eat was associated with sciatica when finally diarrhea forced everything out and I felt better right away !!! I have tried everything from Amitiza , milk of mag. tabs, had all kinds of tests and everyone thinks I am crazy when I say everything I eat or sometimes when I smell food or think about it my stomach swells.. I don't know where to turn or what to do ,, How long can a person live without eating,,Something I am considering !!!I I welcome all suggestions , Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMG I nearly fainted when I read your post Wendaca. I have been trying to tell people I can actually feel when the gas and bowels move in correlation to my sciatica and IBS that they are connected somehow and nobody believes me

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and have this problem. It's definitely a vicious cycle. I have found some ways to help with the sciatica - yoga postures like pigeon and cobbler, but it's not always successful. I did convince my employer to get me a standing desk, which helps take pressure off the nerve. The symptoms you all are describing sound familiar!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts