Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the IBS affects the colon which has no absorptive properties Could it be possible that the IBS affects the small intestine. When ever I eat something high in fat or dairy or an ibs irritant I tend to lose weight and I feel nothing get absorbed

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Like a pound or three that comes back quickly or like 10-15 pounds that takes a long time to regain?Because if you trigger diarrhea you could lose a pound or two of stool weight and water weight that you usually carry around every day. However that will come back quickly.If you don't eat for a couple of days while you are flared up you will also lose a fair amount of water weight as the normal storage of energy in the body keeps a few pounds of water in you that you will lose when you fall back on the reserves.But if you are losing all kinds of weight regularly and it isn't just a few pounds that come back as soon as the diarrhea stops and you eat a meal or so and drink a couple of glasses of water than you may have something else going on and need to have your small intestine checked out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the same issues, its like any time I am trying to gain eight I eat foods that do increase my weight by up to half a stone but either the weight gain or the foods itself make IBS worse and i loose over a stone very quickly.I dont know how it works exactly all i know is its a real hassle and I am desperately trying to find a way round it too as my low weight causes more problems than the IBS itself.if you ever find anything that helps please please let me know

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you can't add fattier foods you may need to increase portion size. Believe me plenty of people got fat eating "low fat" food (although most had as many calories of gums and sugars to fill in for the fat as the fat calories) so it can be done. A lot of the people who get fat on any of the "don't eat one category of food" diets (and people get fat on every last one of them) is because they can eat supersized portions of the allowed foods.For IBSers I always suggest that if they have a safe diet and it their weight isn't where they want it then they should check the calories per day and find out what portion sizes are needed to get the amount that will maintain the weight they want to be. (or up to 500 calories more or 500 calories less than what you need to maintain your current weight).If you really can't maintain your weight even if you every week eat a few thousand more calories than you need, you should be checked for metabolic issues and celiac disease.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IBSD88.......I will let you knowIf I could manage my weight and gain good solid weight I could care less about the IBS It seems almost impossible to gain any weightI am currently 5'6, 111-112lbs

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
How many calories a day do you eat?using practicalweightloss.comFor a guy your height and weight and I'll just do for 25 years old and lightly active you need 1862 calories a dayWith a medium frame on that site it says you should weigh 142...to maintain that weight you need 2103 calories every day.If you aren't eating more than you need you can't gain weight even if you are in totally perfect health every single day.If you are usually eating 2500-3000 or more calories every day and still can't gain any weight at all, go to the doctor with a 3 day food diary and ask to be tested for celiac disease, metabolic issues and maybe have some other tests on the small intestine.If you are eating 1500 calories a day or less you will never weight more than you are now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kathlenei've had my diahrea under control with some calcium tablesas for my diet, it is a very safe IBS diet;morning; 2 eggs, banana, cranberry juice, breadafternoon 1pm; full meal; rice or pasta, vegtables, meat (chicken, beef, fish)evening 5pm; full mean rice or pasta, vegtables, meat (chicken, beef, fish)night 9pm; turkey, fish sandwitchi add a few healthy snacks in between like peanuts, sushiplus i go to the gymI'm pretty consistent on this diet and it takes like a month to gain a 3 pounds which is ridiculous. More for the fact i could lose that 3lbs in one day which ends up happening.This is a very healthy low fat diet, more based on carbs.I am considering on going on a fattier diet, although its definitely not good for my stomach or my IBS. Given the calcium would stop the D you would think this would be fine but who knows.Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated while Im considering

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I use www.fitday.com to count calories for me.You can use that to help figure out portion size.I used these foods and worked up a 2500 calorie a day diet.The calorie totals were for lightly active you need more calories if you work out.This is just over 2500 calories and is at 20% fat (which is a pretty good level) and you get the RDA of most nutrients (calcium is low but you take calcium)2 large boiled eggs1 large banana1 cup cranberry juice2 slices bread1 large chicken breast (boneless skinless)1 cup string beans2 cups white rice (cooked)8 ounces boneless Cod2 cups spaghetti1 cup cooked carrots2 slices bread3 ounces turkey breast1 1.25 ounce package of peanuts.Now if I put in the amounts I usually eat.It is now a weight loss diet of 1600 calories a day that will not maintain your weight1 large boiled eggs1 medumbanana4 ounces cranberry juice1 slices bread1 small chicken breast (boneless skinless)1 cup string beans2/3 cups white rice (cooked)3 ounces boneless Cod1 cups spaghetti1 cup cooked carrots2 slices bread3 ounces turkey breast1 1.25 ounce package of peanuts.SAME EXACT FOODS, one diet should maintain most people's weight, one that should cause most people to lose weight with the EXACT SAME FOODS. If you can't change which foods you eat, you have to change the portion sizes.Telling me which foods you eat doesn't tell me how many calories a day you consume. You could eat the EXACT SAME FOODS and get very different calorie counts. That is why a lot of people think they are eating in a way to gain or lose weight but they are either eating too large a portion of food or too small of one. You can't tell just by a food list how many calories someone gets. Use fitday.com and keep a 3-7 day food journal (you can put in all your data and your exercise and get a nice graph that will show your doctor you eat 1000 calories more than you need every single day and can't gain weight and they will have to test you for metabolic issues and for celiac disease and a few other things. But if you can't document you are eating way too much and not maintaining weight there isn't a reason to do those tests. It will also show you if you are not eating enough food to gain weight and help you adjust your portion sizes until you get to a diet that will put weight on AND has only safe foods that don't trigger the IBS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use www.fitday.com to count calories for me.You can use that to help figure out portion size.I used these foods and worked up a 2500 calorie a day diet.The calorie totals were for lightly active you need more calories if you work out.This is just over 2500 calories and is at 20% fat (which is a pretty good level) and you get the RDA of most nutrients (calcium is low but you take calcium)2 large boiled eggs1 large banana1 cup cranberry juice2 slices bread1 large chicken breast (boneless skinless)1 cup string beans2 cups white rice (cooked)8 ounces boneless Cod2 cups spaghetti1 cup cooked carrots2 slices bread3 ounces turkey breast1 1.25 ounce package of peanuts.Now if I put in the amounts I usually eat.It is now a weight loss diet of 1600 calories a day that will not maintain your weight1 large boiled eggs1 medumbanana4 ounces cranberry juice1 slices bread1 small chicken breast (boneless skinless)1 cup string beans2/3 cups white rice (cooked)3 ounces boneless Cod1 cups spaghetti1 cup cooked carrots2 slices bread3 ounces turkey breast1 1.25 ounce package of peanuts.SAME EXACT FOODS, one diet should maintain most people's weight, one that should cause most people to lose weight with the EXACT SAME FOODS. If you can't change which foods you eat, you have to change the portion sizes.Telling me which foods you eat doesn't tell me how many calories a day you consume. You could eat the EXACT SAME FOODS and get very different calorie counts. That is why a lot of people think they are eating in a way to gain or lose weight but they are either eating too large a portion of food or too small of one. You can't tell just by a food list how many calories someone gets. Use fitday.com and keep a 3-7 day food journal (you can put in all your data and your exercise and get a nice graph that will show your doctor you eat 1000 calories more than you need every single day and can't gain weight and they will have to test you for metabolic issues and for celiac disease and a few other things. But if you can't document you are eating way too much and not maintaining weight there isn't a reason to do those tests. It will also show you if you are not eating enough food to gain weight and help you adjust your portion sizes until you get to a diet that will put weight on AND has only safe foods that don't trigger the IBS.
This is great! Is this a good diet to eat to help ibs-d???? will that site give me more ideas on food to eat that is ok.....and I thought spagethi was bad due to the sauce (tomato sauce) and is the turkey from the deli? thought that would be bad also due to nitrates. What kind of bread are you referring to? just bleached white flour bread? I am very new here and just trying to read around and gather info right now....I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I was just looking at the calories for someone who already said what they were eating.Fitday.com is just a tracking program, it does not recommend any particular diet.There is no one size fits all diet for any kind of IBS.Some IBS-D do better on low carb diets, others do well with a lot of soluble fiber and I can't tell which you will be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.