Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm not sure if any of you have any ideas about this, but, my dentist asked me a couple of weeks ago to totally give up soda, thought it was going to be hard, but i have only had 1 soda all week. I noticed today that during this week, i havent had a lot, if any ibs problems. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this. TIA

·
Registered
173 Posts
last time i had a carbonated drink i was shocking...hadnt eating anything cos i was at huge music festival and the food was expensive and ****e. that probably contributed to teh gas build in my stomach that made me need to site down...only took a little while and it then move dthrough my lower guts, really bad. ddint evenwnat it, only drank it cos they had run out of water and the System of a down moshpit had taken a lot out me

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking that the soda is some of my problem, i have been drinking water all week, besides my coffee in the morning. Tonight I took the kids to McDonald's to play, I had a soda and it didnt even taste good. Then tonight, i noticed i have the rumble back.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I was so addicted to coca-cola, I could drink around two litres a day. No wonder by IBS was through the roof! Six months ago I decided to stop drinking the stuff and I have to say my IBS isn't quite as bad. I now drink around 2 litres of water per day with a small amount of cordial in it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to my doc wednesday. How do i get tested for the fructose? Bloodwork or what? There was one other thing I thought I saw on the board that i wanted tested for too, but, cant remember, need my memory tested as well.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
It is a breath test. You ingest fructose in water and periodically blow nto a bag and they pass these bags through an analyser which measures the amount of hydrogen on your breath. It is usually the big hospitals which do these tests. Hyope there is one near you. Especially check out the Pedriatic unit if the GI Dept doesn't have it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I gave up anything carbonated and caffinated for Lent this year... It works wonders. I now just havine a single coke a week.I still have a lot of issues, but at lest that isn't aggravating them constantly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully they would have it. I go to a military hospital, maybe i should call before my appointment. Thanks for all the advice, I'll let you guys know if i fail this test too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I went today for my appointment and asked for the fructose test and the PA i saw said she couldnt help me. She wasnt very nice anyway, didnt really listen to anything I said, guess that's where I'm different, I listen to everything that a patient tells me. Oh well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the reply bonniei. I kind of think she just didnt want to get into it. They have every kind of testing you could want there, it's a military hospital. I'll bring it up next time, you dont ever see the same person twice there. Thanks for all of your help again.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
There is this site which offers kits but requires an order from the doc. The contact info is herehttp://www.quintron-usa.com/Contact.htm Just incase the hosp doesn't have the equipment, maybe you could ask the contact at the above site about how you would go about getting an at-home kit. Ask them what exactly you need from the doc. Also find out in advance if your insurance wll pay for it.Also follow the link in my signature. It gives the studies which says a large % off people with unexpolained GI problems have FI. Maybe you could print out the study and show your doc.Anyway good luck with your next doc. Hoping that she is more helpful and listens more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.