Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS-C since many years. It was in remission for few years but now it has come back with vengeance. It's gotta s point where I am thinking of suicide. Anybody else here feel the same.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have IBS-D and I get very angry about this condition but never suicidal. There are much worse things. I have a friend that's dying of cancer. Can't feel too sorry for myself when I see what he's going through. Things are just bad in the world right now. I think the tide is turning with the virus so hopefully better times are ahead. I can see why it would be easy to get even more frustrated right now. As I said, this problem pisses me off more than depresses me. I find going for a long walk on a nice day helps. It may even help with your constipation. Also a phone call to a good friend.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I suffer with IBS-D and off-late I do get "fleeting" thoughts of why not just end this misery . But i do believe we must fight these thoughts so i try my best to ignore them. Another theory is that IBS is related to anxiety and depression , therefore , we are more prone to these negative thoughts, depression e.t.c

We must keep fighting and not give in .Our minds our tricking us into believing our lives have no value but we should try to see through this...

I also see a shrink because i suffer from anxiety and sometimes talking to your doctor helps. Some anti anxiety medication , if your doctor feels is required , may help both with depression and IBS .

·
Registered
155 Posts
have IBS-A and sometimes during a flare up or particulary bad days suffer from anxiety that is social and food related. Ocasionally I have "sad or bad" thoughts about myself and I do feel like a burden to my family. I talk a lot with my husband (who is also my best friend) and cry a bit when I get emotional like that. I suggest you find someone you can talk to like a friend or a shrink because people like us really are prone to negative thoughts, depression etc.
The thing is we lack certain vitamins and nutrients because of the nature of our illnes since we cannot eat and/or digest most foods others can.
Studies show that vitamin D is depleted in patients with digestive system disorders and there is a link between lack of that vitamin and depression. Also vitamins from the B group are responsible for mood changes and if you have problems with reflux and digestion you can't absorb it well hence more problems with depression.
My advice to you would be to check vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels just to be sure..
Good luck with everything

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all with your replies. Appreciate it. Along with IBS-C, I have bipolar disorder so I see my psychiatrist every couple of months. I am on heavy dose of antidepressants. My bipolar disorder is in check. It's just that my IBS is pulling me down. Things were OK from Oct. last year to Feb this year as I was taking high dose of prucalopride aka Motegrity. All of a sudden it's effect slowed down from March. I asked my GI doc, all he said it happens. No reason. He prescribed me the same along with Lubiprostone aka amitizia which gave me severe pain so I stopped it. I now take prucalopride and herbal meds. So far herbal meds not effective. I did go for counseling but he was not great so I stopped. IBS really sucks and makes my mood go down. How long till I end my life. I have a question do harmful bacteria in the gut a reason for bad stools? I know about SIBO and have taken Rimaxafin course twice. Have any of you tried Kefir? If so did it help with your bowels. I just started 2 days back. The reviews are good. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is so much data out there that attributes the root cause of IBS to different things , but nothing is proven . Gastroenterologists have no idea.

There are theories which say it is caused by stress/Brain-gut communication dysfunction , some say infections/SIBO ,some say imbalance in gut microbiome. Which of them is really the reason , is it a combination of them or does it differ case to case , no idea.

I'v been put on Rifaxamin once and I did not notice any improvement . I have not tried kefir but i think its worth a shot.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is definitely brain-gut axis connection. Imbalance in gut microbiome too is a reason. Stress definitely a trigger. So I feel IBS both physical and psychological. I am really getting titedy of it. I just hope prucalopride starts working again. And Kefir is effective. If nothing works then suicide will!

·
Registered
155 Posts
It sounds more like brain-gut axis disconnection in my case
I've had SIBO back when my ibs was type D (4 years ago) and I fixed it with herbal antibiotics rather than Rifaxamin. It took some time to clear out bacterial overgrowth but I was happy with my results. Had great results with modified FODMAP diet that I still follow today because I know most of my triggers and have fructose and lactose intolerance.
I went into remission and all was good for 9 months until lockdown. Ibs has returned,like you said with a vengance, as ibs-a and I am still trying to get better and find the cause for this new condition.
I also ordered kefir grains..I hope they help us both.
Currently I am taking Silicol gel with good results-this is my 5th day.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ilyria...what's silicol gel? I just went to CVS news link posted here and it said probiotics are not a quick fix.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well silicol gel is a type of "binder" that sucks up pathogens in the digestive system and you can then dispose of them with bowel movements. There was a topic here from 2018 called wow!silicol gel or something simillar that encouraged me to try. There are also reviews online from diferent places that sell it so you can check it out. I bought my at a pharmacy and it says on the bottle that it helps with reflux, nausea,vomiting, cramps, diarrhea,bloating and other ibs related conditions.
It helped with my reflux definitely and I can eat bigger portions of food which is a big thing for me and there is no pain and no cramping.
I must add I am taking a very small dose once a day because I feel it would constipate me if I were to take the recomended amount and so far it is working.
Kefir is much better for constipation problems but it takes time for it to work..months maybe even a year for some to see actual progress just like with probiotics.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just realised that maybe you did not understand what I meant when I said herbal antibiotics-must be a language barrier since English is not my first language.
I'sorry! I meant Natural antibiotics like oregano oil and such. I don't remember the names of those pills. They were prescribed to me by a holistic doctor after I tested positive for SIBO and there was a protocol for taking them for almost 2 months. The treatment was succesful and my after-treatment sibo was negative.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't wait for even months for Kefir to take effect. Internet says it will take few weeks to take effect. Have you tried it? Or your friends tried? Please reply.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used to make and drink kefir years ago before ibs so I have no personal ibs related experience. I gave it to my daughter when she was little and had severe constipation problems. It resolved her issues in about 10 days and she eventually stopped drinking it. The way it works is it slowly repopulates your colon with bacteria inside kefir . The more you drink it the faster and better it will be. That is my only expirience I'm afraid. I know it is not much and I wish I could help you more. You seem to be desperate for anything to work and I can relate. Hang in there and please don't give up.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So are you saying your daughter's constipation got CURED in 10 days? Yes I am desperate. So will it benefit me then? Any other medicine I can take for IBS-C? I am taking prucalopride 8mg daily which is a high dose. Am also taking Ayurveda (herbal) meds. Started one and a half month back, still not effective. Please help me. The longer this problem goes on the higher my suicide chances.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I said her issues resolved and by that I mean: after 10 days of taking kefir she started having bowel movements almost every day without pain or discomfort. We continued to give her kefir for months..maybe 5-6 because we wanted to be sure she would not constipate again.
Maybe it will work the same way for you too..I hope so!
There is a sub-forum here just for ibs-c and you should probably read it and ask people there what is helping them since I don't have your problems and am unable to help you.
I don't know what else to tell you
I wish you all the best

1 - 20 of 51 Posts