Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
have IBS-A and sometimes during a flare up or particulary bad days suffer from anxiety that is social and food related. Ocasionally I have "sad or bad" thoughts about myself and I do feel like a burden to my family. I talk a lot with my husband (who is also my best friend) and cry a bit when I get emotional like that. I suggest you find someone you can talk to like a friend or a shrink because people like us really are prone to negative thoughts, depression etc.
The thing is we lack certain vitamins and nutrients because of the nature of our illnes since we cannot eat and/or digest most foods others can.
Studies show that vitamin D is depleted in patients with digestive system disorders and there is a link between lack of that vitamin and depression. Also vitamins from the B group are responsible for mood changes and if you have problems with reflux and digestion you can't absorb it well hence more problems with depression.
My advice to you would be to check vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels just to be sure..
Good luck with everything

·
Registered
155 Posts
It sounds more like brain-gut axis disconnection in my case
I've had SIBO back when my ibs was type D (4 years ago) and I fixed it with herbal antibiotics rather than Rifaxamin. It took some time to clear out bacterial overgrowth but I was happy with my results. Had great results with modified FODMAP diet that I still follow today because I know most of my triggers and have fructose and lactose intolerance.
I went into remission and all was good for 9 months until lockdown. Ibs has returned,like you said with a vengance, as ibs-a and I am still trying to get better and find the cause for this new condition.
I also ordered kefir grains..I hope they help us both.
Currently I am taking Silicol gel with good results-this is my 5th day.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well silicol gel is a type of "binder" that sucks up pathogens in the digestive system and you can then dispose of them with bowel movements. There was a topic here from 2018 called wow!silicol gel or something simillar that encouraged me to try. There are also reviews online from diferent places that sell it so you can check it out. I bought my at a pharmacy and it says on the bottle that it helps with reflux, nausea,vomiting, cramps, diarrhea,bloating and other ibs related conditions.
It helped with my reflux definitely and I can eat bigger portions of food which is a big thing for me and there is no pain and no cramping.
I must add I am taking a very small dose once a day because I feel it would constipate me if I were to take the recomended amount and so far it is working.
Kefir is much better for constipation problems but it takes time for it to work..months maybe even a year for some to see actual progress just like with probiotics.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just realised that maybe you did not understand what I meant when I said herbal antibiotics-must be a language barrier since English is not my first language.
I'sorry! I meant Natural antibiotics like oregano oil and such. I don't remember the names of those pills. They were prescribed to me by a holistic doctor after I tested positive for SIBO and there was a protocol for taking them for almost 2 months. The treatment was succesful and my after-treatment sibo was negative.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used to make and drink kefir years ago before ibs so I have no personal ibs related experience. I gave it to my daughter when she was little and had severe constipation problems. It resolved her issues in about 10 days and she eventually stopped drinking it. The way it works is it slowly repopulates your colon with bacteria inside kefir . The more you drink it the faster and better it will be. That is my only expirience I'm afraid. I know it is not much and I wish I could help you more. You seem to be desperate for anything to work and I can relate. Hang in there and please don't give up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I said her issues resolved and by that I mean: after 10 days of taking kefir she started having bowel movements almost every day without pain or discomfort. We continued to give her kefir for months..maybe 5-6 because we wanted to be sure she would not constipate again.
Maybe it will work the same way for you too..I hope so!
There is a sub-forum here just for ibs-c and you should probably read it and ask people there what is helping them since I don't have your problems and am unable to help you.
I don't know what else to tell you
I wish you all the best

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't know if it will work..none of us know. That is why we try so manny different things hoping something will help us.
We are not doctors or advisers and we do not know you or your medical history..
I hope it does help you but I seriously doubt it will take just one day of drikning it to see the benefits. So relax and drink kefir and your other medications and give it time

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congratulations!
I only made it with cow milk but I guess it's pretty simillar if not the same. If you want/like milder taste you put more milk or keep the grains inside less than recommended(1-2 hours less). If you want stronger taste put a bit less milk or keep the grains inside longer but no more then half a day longer(it will become too strong).
I personally like it mild but you must try and see wich one you like better and wich one benefits you more because stronger one has more bacteria inside and milder is easier for the gut if you have sensitive bowels.
Anyway you need to find the taste and the quantity that fits you personally for best results.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Obviously you are in pain both in body and mind..but I agree with mellosphere. We are not in a position to help you directly and you DO NEED proffesional help. There is something wrong either with your bipolar/anxiety medication that is not working for you or you are not taking it correctly as you should. We dont't want you to kill yourself but you have to want that too!! Seek help imediately and call someone-there are suicide hotlines in every country. Go to your doctor and recheck your medication.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts