Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IBS And The Iron ConnectionAbstract: The purpose of this paper is to show that Hemochromatosis which means too much iron or iron overload, is the cause of many - far too many cases of IBS and may be the leading reason to test for iron overload or hemochromatosis in patients presented with IBS. Until now there hasn't been a cause of IBS stated, the way I understand it. Now in more and more cases, iron overload will be determined to be the cause of very many cases of IBS and a lot can be done about this iron problem in these patients to what most would call a complete 'cure', if too much iron is found to be the cause - and then a diagnosis of the cause will be known. This should prove that in many cases, there is a specific cause of IBS and that is iron overload where the entire body is overloaded with iron or it could be where the lumen of the gut itself is overloaded with iron. http://www.zoomnet.net/~munsters/irritabl.htm In November I was diagnosed with Hemochromatosis and Diabetes, an am currently undergoing treatment for the iron overload.Regards - NickT

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
IBS is not connected in any way to hematochromatosis.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
IBS is not connected in any way to hematochromatosis.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I suspect Nick was thinking of the link between IBS and fibromyalgia, and the similarity of fibro symptoms and hemochromatosis.I've had my iron levels tested and I'm always on the low end of normal, so I know this has nothing to do with my symptoms.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I suspect Nick was thinking of the link between IBS and fibromyalgia, and the similarity of fibro symptoms and hemochromatosis.I've had my iron levels tested and I'm always on the low end of normal, so I know this has nothing to do with my symptoms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been on 325mg iron tablets on and off the last few years because of low iron levels and it does make the cramps and constipation of IBS worse. I am no longer on the iron tabs and have started taking Donnatal and I am doing much better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been on 325mg iron tablets on and off the last few years because of low iron levels and it does make the cramps and constipation of IBS worse. I am no longer on the iron tabs and have started taking Donnatal and I am doing much better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
funny that none of those in my family with hemochromatosis have IBS symptoms....It is those who do not have it that have IBS. Melissa

·
Registered
178 Posts
funny that none of those in my family with hemochromatosis have IBS symptoms....It is those who do not have it that have IBS. Melissa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts