Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS and will be traveling to Ecuador and Uruguay soon. What meds would help with preventing traveler's diarrhea or getting rid of it? I take Imodium on a regular basis already to prevent diarrhea.

I've had bad bouts of traveler's diarrhea after visiting Mexico, Costa Rica, Croatia, and Peru,

Thank you,

Claire

·
Registered
111 Posts
I guess you already do these things:
*Never eat street food.
*Only have drinks from sealed cans or bottles.
*Never have ice with a drink.
*When you shower, angle the shower so it just washes your body not your head and face. So wash hair in the sink or basin and don't wash face in tap water.
*Never eat salads and peel all fruit.
*Eat all vegetables well steamed or cooked (boiled, oven baked or grilled)
*Don't brush teeth using tap water. Use still bottled water.
*Carry a hand sanitizer and use it frequently, especially after touching door handles, and most other surfaces out of your hotel room. Wash hands with soap or hand wash and then sanitize straight after.
*On that note, it makes sense to immediately sanitize your hotel bathroom facilities (toilet lid and seat, sink taps and surfaces), as soon as you get into your room. It's amazing how cleaning cloths the hotel cleaners use can be the most unhygienic items and spread germs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*Never eat street food.
*When you shower, angle the shower so it just washes your body not your head and face. So wash hair in the sink or basin and don't wash face in tap water.
*Carry a hand sanitizer and use it frequently, especially after touching door handles, and most other surfaces out of your hotel room. Wash hands with soap or hand wash and then sanitize straight after.
*On that note, it makes sense to immediately sanitize your hotel bathroom facilities (toilet lid and seat, sink taps and surfaces), as soon as you get into your room. It's amazing how cleaning cloths the hotel cleaners use can be the most unhygienic items and spread germs.
*Never eat street food.
Thank you. I hadn’t thought of all these things. Very helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tips

I usually try do the more difficult/longer travel parts earlier, and usually bring some muesli bars so first few days i eat less meals to cut down eating local meals = less chance of being sick. I buy bread and like packaged ham and bring as lunch on road.

As previous comment bottle water even for brushing teeth and quick showers since skin absorbs the water which u want to avoid

lomitil i find personally is better than lmodium as lomitil seems to slow bowel movement, while imodium more like tries to solidify runny poo. Each person different but 2 lomotil for me in the morning, 1 around 4 pm lets me go out until dinner time but then after dinner its sometimes 50/50 so i try eating dinner 5-10 minutes walk from my hotel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts