Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,I am having a problem where I am having constant anxiety and IBS-D. I was diagnosed with it 5 years ago when I was at a job where I was under a lot of pressure reconciling bank accounts. Some days had hundreds of payments for each investment portfolio and was like looking for a needle in a haystack, with little help. I had bad diarrhea and abdominal pain and bloating after eating and was anxious and tired. At one point I had to stay on a BRAT diet because I was in pain. I finally found a new job and was put on 20mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin SR. Two months ago (4 years later, after symptoms mostly subsided) I found another job. However, while trying to learn new, complex tasks, someone in another area left and they asked my boss to take on some work-she said yes, and gave it to me. It was the same thing as what I was doing 4 years ago, what I wanted to get away from. I was hastily trained, and nobody knows the computer system there, it is all on me. I came back Monday, my first day with it alone, to the busiest day of the month, and spent 12 hours on it with no breaks. Then the next day I came in, and my work was erased by the system, and IT is dumbfounded. It happened again on Wednesday, and by that point I was in cold sweats and constant angst and restlessness and IBS. I can't tell my boss I can't do it, she won't understand. My girlfriend keeps telling me to relax, it's just a job, but I cannot for some reason. It is Saturday morning and I am up and anxious and having diarrhea. It is just that this one thing, from my past history, is making me uptight. It's like a phobia or something that is triggering my IBS. With the other expectations of the new job, I am also overwhelmed. My boss can tell I am anxious, but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions/effective treatments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good grief! What a nightmare! I think you need to explain to your boss without too many details, that you are still very new at this job and this added responsibility is causing you great stress psychologically and physically because you are so conscientious and want to do the work well and without error. Besides this was not the work you were originally hired to do. Ask if they can hire a temp for a while until you are broken in a little more. Or perhaps your boss or another co-worker can give you a hand at least temporarily. It isn't right for someone to take on another person's entire work load without added compensation. Tell her that you really like working there and wouldn't want that fact to change because of this severe increase in work load and stress level.Hope this helps!

·
Registered
343 Posts
As Spike Milligan put on his gravestoneI told you I was illBut seriously, leave your job - It will never say on your gravestone - He was always at work, dedicated to the job in an office - No one will remember you in a years time, nobody is going to die - Your life is more important than all that #### - I have left jobs and although I was skint for a while (With a wife and 2 kids to feed, plus try finding a job with my medical history!!! That's another story not connected with IBS) we made do and I got another job.Life is too short for work hassles, do something positive and good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke to her Friday and she apologized for the work being more than anticipated. And she said that it is temporary until they find a replacement (how long, who knows)but nevertheless I have had constant anxiety about it. I am actually going to start to see professional help this afternoon to deal with this. I know if I quit, it may be more difficult to land another job since people want people that are working. And like you said, I am very conscientious, which is good yet bad because I take things seriously and I internalize and hence I have IBS. I would feel inadequate quitting my job while others are working. Maybe I am wrong about that. Or maybe I need to look at my condition as a real medical condition and not worry what others think. Anxiety and IBS is just such a terrible feeling.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I agree with Nick, life is too short to waste in a job that's making you ill.A few weeks ago I lost my summer job (full-time in an office), I was horrified because I'm v.conscientious and couldn't believe I was bad enough to get the sack!But now I realise it's a blessing in disguise. I wouldn't have let myself give it up, so they made a (wonderful) desicion for me. At work I was constantly anxious, on edge with pain, and taking benzos to get through the day. I couldn't sleep at night. Now I'm able to relax, the pain has eased up and I'm starting to enjoy life again. I feel like i've been let out of prison!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have always tried to work at a place where my constant presence was not necessary (meaning I could easily walk off and go to the bathroom without anyone taking notice). I've also always looked for a work location where bathrooms were plentiful. This has been a saving grace because there is no way I would survive in a customer service type of environment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh, I'm soooo sorry! And I could change the details a bit and put it out there as my own story; it's so similar! Even the SSRIs are the same!I know that you haven't been in the job long and may not feel comfortable with your boss--a situation in which I would feel trapped and helpless. BUT, try having a scheduled meeting with her and your Human Resources person, if you have one. Even if it's one-on-one, talk to your boss. You have the right NOT to be stressed to the max. It's your health!I'm not saying to tell her "No;" nothing of the sort. I've found that most people, when they're given all the facts in an honest and open way, are very understanding. Only divulge as much as necessary to help her to understand the seriousness of your situation. You can say that that you are sick and the extra work is stressing you more than you can handle right now. Hopefully, your boss is not insane, as mine is, and she will understand your need to have this work reassigned. Besides, it sounds as if SHE took the work on, so when it comes right down to it, it's HER responsibility; not yours. As a boss, she has the right to delegate work to her subordinates. However, you know yourself best and if the added responsibilities are making you sicker, you have every right to say so. It's not defiance; it's not being uncooperative; it's taking care of YOU! If she does not understand and try to help, then you can take it over her head. That's the way it works. Know that, as a last resort, you can walk away. If your boss is inhuman enough not to sympathize, then you're in the wrong place anyway.Best of luck. Advocate for YOU!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.