Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to quit their job and/or go on disability. I have a great career and hate the thought of leaving it but I spend a total of an hour daily in the restroom and some days I can't even make it into work. I just dont know where to turn. On IBS meds currently after gallbladder surgery in Aug that was messed up.Vagirl

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am currently on disability because of my "IBS" issues...that seemed to start after my botched gall-bladder surgery. I really never had any abdominal issues before I had my surgery. I didn't even realize I was having a gall-bladder attack, until I went to the hospital with severe pain and had it removed. I returned to the hospital approximately 2 weeks later and had gall-stones removed from my bile duct, stent inserted, and a completely infected liver with an absess. I had my stent removed 4 months later...My life has never been the same since. Originally, I would have bad spells once or twice a month, where I would have to go to the hospital. They would do tests, hook me up to IV and pump me with morphine...All my tests would come back normal. Then I got diagnosed with IBS. I tried various medications (buscopan, dicetel and bentylol) for the spasms and pain. Severe pain (morphine). Nausea (gravol). Depression (cymbalta). Constipation (senna tablets, lactulose, milk of magnesia). Diarrhea (immodium)...I also altered my consumption of various foods and could not find any specific triggers. The first 2 years my attacks were minimal and my STRESS LEVELS were extremely high, my father was dying of cancer, and my mother was constantly in the hospital, she died 16 months after my father passed away. During that time I still had a life and a career - as a fulltime mother of 6 very active children (ages 23-10), 1 grand-daughter, and I was working as a public bus driver. Now, most days, I don't know if I am coming or going...In May something happened to my body because I had D for a very long time...I officially went on disability in September, but did not get it till January or February...These days are up and down because I never know what my body is going to do. I am afraid to eat, and stay very close to home...I don't mind having C cause I can get out of the house, however I don't drive too much cause of the meds that I am on...every moment is different. I hope you can find a solution to your IBS issues. Have A Good Day, Carol.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
We have a forum called Working and Careers. I will move your thread there. You can find others experiencing similiar challenges there. Please use the site navigator found on the bottom right of every page to get to ALL of our forums.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to quit my job, that I loved because of IBS-D. It was impossible for me to get out of the house on some days because of the commute and being so sick. So, I quit my job and had to change my entire life. My whole outlook on life and my priorities had to change. I got a great job that allowed me to work from home and create my own schedule. Since mornings are usually bad for me, I make sure not to schedule too many activities first thing in the a.m. I'm now able to look back and realize that I didn't really love my previous job. It simply was a job that paid the bills but caused me lots of stress. Once I cut out a lot of the stress, my IBS issues got much better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.