Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started college this week and was pretty nervous and anxious about it for the past week, especially the day prior to my first class. All of a sudden on the night before class I got a really bad stomach ache & urgency as if I had eaten something bad, which I had not. Also, the same night I started my period, so i'm sure that had something to do with it. I have had the stomach aches & bad diarrhea for four days now and they are so bad that I am awaken several times during the night & have to rush to the bathroom. It is the worst stomach pain i've experienced of all past stomach aches. I have been taking priobiotic pills daily for about a month now and that is the only thing I have done differently this month so I am starting to wonder if that caused these horrible symptoms in combination with my period. Has this happened to any of you(specifically ladies?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
It is extremely common for IBS'ers to have an increase in symptoms during your period. (Please see the thread "Hormones & IBS" at the top of the Women's Forum for more info)All of the stress of starting school combined with your monthly.. probably caused this flare up. So try your best to think positively... as in this is probably a temporary flare up. And employ all of your stress management techniques that you can.... listening to calming music.... taking some time outs during the day to completely relax etc... whatever works for you,... just do it to help balance out the stress.You may want to use some imodium or take some calcium carbonate for a bit til things calm down.Wish you all the best with College!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.