Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ! I often arrive late at work in the morning because is it the worst time for me with IBS (mostly with urgent bowel movements). It is not easy to walk to the bus stop and taking the bus without sometimes have to go to Washroom urgently. Are they someone in the same situation and how are u dealing with the problem with your collegues and boss. Are they understanding ? etc.. Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello Human_mind34...I have had the same experience, my IBSis awful in the morning, even though I don't have to be at work until 11:30 a.m., I am usually in the restroom for at least 30 min before I can even think of getting ready for work, I was just recently diagnosed with IBS, basically my boss tells to take immodium and come in, some days I can not do that, I end up sitting there all day thinking can I make it to the restroom in time. Even one time she told me to "suck it up", that was before I knew I had IBS, I am not sure on others, but I will let you know how my journey goes-Steph

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stephanie. Feel good to know that someone else going throught a similar situation. Feel free to email me at cloc140###videotron.ca if you want to let me know how your journey goes.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Happens to me all the time. I'm late probably three or four times a month due to my IBS. I have a long commute, so I really can't leave the house to go to work until the d stops. My boss knows I have IBS and is understanding. We have a deal that if I'm late, it's up to me to make sure my work gets done - sometimes I have to work late to make up for it. I have also missed many entire days - I use up a lot of vacation in this manner - stuck at home so I can be close to the bathroom. Sometimes I can work from home - and that is great. But I don't always have projects I can do at home. It definitely sucks.Marty

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI N.1 paker Fan,My situation is similar to yours but I can be late to work often in a montn and sometimes few times per week. It takes me about 20 minutes to go to work by bus and my bus stop is 5 minutes from home. There is some restaurant near by the bus stop but when I got to go, I got to go !!!.. Sometimes i have a hard time only walking to the bus stop without having a urge. It is not soft or diarea stool, mostly firm.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Human-Mind, I get the same thing.I was running my own shop for a while and opened at 12 noon, but i had to close it and now i am looking for a new job. The prospective employers who i have interviews booked with have been informed of my situation and they are all being really good about it. I truly believe the best thing is to be completly honest about it. I have also had a prospective emplyer say that they will change the work times an hour backward so i can miss traffic if i take the job.Have you told your boss about the IBS?Lisa

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Liasa I did tell my boss but she does not know each time that I am late. I told her that I was sometimes arriving late often. I am always working out my mist hours,

·
Registered
106 Posts
I actually called off of work today because of my IBS, I have had D for two days now, I am really scared to even eat anything, today I did go to the doc and he gave me a med to calm my nerves and said that this should help, I also have an ultrasound on Sat. to see if anything else might be wrong, I will keep you posted on my journey with my bosses. If you ever feel the need you may email me at stephie_1999###hotmail.com and I will reply back-Steph

·
Registered
584 Posts
If in the US, they are required by ADA to accomodate you. The best thing is to talk to them, explain the situation, and maybe stay a few minutes late when you arrive a little late.I have same problem, commuter. I wake up earlier now than I used to to aid the situation. But if I'm delayed I call them and let them know. It's never been a problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I called in the other day to tell them that I was going to be late for work and that I was going to make up all time missed, they in turn called me like three times to come into work, "take some immodium" they say, not all the time does this work, we are understaffed and I tell them that if I just lay down for a little bit, I will feel better, but they just make things worse saying that they "need" me.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Me too. Mornings stink. I only work part time but I do have to be late on some days

·
Registered
375 Posts
quote:Originally posted by artjunky:If in the US, they are required by ADA to accomodate you. The best thing is to talk to them, explain the situation, and maybe stay a few minutes late when you arrive a little late.I have same problem, commuter. I wake up earlier now than I used to to aid the situation. But if I'm delayed I call them and let them know. It's never been a problem.
The whole thing with the ADA is that it has to be a documented disability, and most of the time they go by the same disability list as the SSI or SSA, and IBS is not on the list.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The Workplace has to accomodate you for any documented illness, within reason.Yeah, if you want to take a few months off, then you probably won't get anywhere. But if what we are talking about is are bathroom breaks, and possibly showing up a little late, then you are covered. Yes, but you do need a dx by a doctor for that to stand up.Minus the main disabilities, to which you refer, you are still required to complete all job duties. That's why I said stay a little late if you have to. It's called working in good faith. As long as you complete all of your job duties you are working in good faith to complete your job.Any extended abscence needs to be documented by a doctor, for any reason. If you work in an industry where you are required, by necessity, to be able to go without D for several hours, then you probably would not be covered.Look, like all this stuff, the ADA is vague in areas. You would need a lawyer to pick through every detail to get a real answer. And even then, different lawyers would disagree on issues.I'm not a lawyer, but I've gone through this stuff several times, and it's never ended up in a court, the problem has always been solved rather easily.The best thing to do is to communicate with your employer. Let them know exactly what is wrong and how they can help you. Provide documentation from a doctor if it is needed. Then do your job, and do it well. If you have to stay a little late once or twice a week to make sure you are productive, then who cares?

·
Registered
375 Posts
ADA only protects those with a "qualifying" disability.The ADA has a legal test to decide if a person has a condition that is severe enough to be an ADA disability.The ADA defines a current disability as:a medical condition or disorder (called an impairment) that substantially limits a person in doing basic activities (called major life activities). Try this link http://www.workindex.com/editorial/legal/l...arc-0207-04.asp

·
Registered
584 Posts
quote:Courts consider each individual on a case-by-case basis. Thus, although two individuals may suffer from the same medical condition, because of differences in severity of the condition and the particular effect on the individuals, one might have a disability under the ADA and the other might not. Employers should bear in mind that state and local laws may define disability more broadly and thus, simply because an individual may not be disabled under the ADA, he or she may be disabled under state or local law.
This article speaks mainly on getting disability. I'm not speaking about collecting disability, but about a workplace's requirement not to discriminate based on medical issues.As I said, this stuff is all vague, and is complicated by state and local laws.But, for example, if a doctor writes a note saying you have the flu and to stay in bed for the next 3 days, your workplace has to abide by your doctors decision. They can't fire you for that. Minor IBS incidents fall in the same category. I am in no way talking about the person who has to miss 4 months of work each year. I'm talking about the person who may spend more time than others at the potty, and the person who is a few minutes late on occasion because of IBS.Unless your job duties clearly defy that, like a radio dj who is on live air for 4 straight hours, the workplace has to accomodate you, and they cannot discriminate against you based on that.The thing is people, be honest with your employer, do your best to work with them and not against them. My first ADA incident came over wearing a belt at work. I was a waiter and it was required. At first it was a huge deal, because I let it become one. In the end all it took was my doctor talking to my employer and everything was cleared up. Let your employer know you are there to help, and you want to find a solution. Most of them will be more reasonable than you think.Now disability. IBS is not on the "list". But there are still people with IBS that get disability. Read the graph at the top. It's decided on a case by case basis by medical professionals. Is the average IBS sufferer going to get disability? No. But can an IBS'er get it if it is truly medically needed? Yes. Big pain in the culo, but it can be done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to let everyone know that 2 weeks ago, I decided that each day of the week, I would leave the house to go to work in the morning 45 minutes earlier then normal. That enable me to not be as much stress by the time and it is helping my IBS symptoms.I am now arriving at work about 35 minutes before the beginning of my day of work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Part of my journey, well I had to call off of work on Wednesday and Thursday, I got total attitude from the people at work I had D and was throwing up, throwing up is something new and not sure if normal, well to put a long story short, my HR dept advised me to apply for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) and basically said that this will protect my job, this week my team leader was on vacation and NO ONE was allowed to call off, well if I get sick I am going to call off, they can't stop me and they didn't, well on Monday I am probably getting written up at my work, so back to the high school days, for not calling off properly, I will post again on Monday and let you know what happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts