Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you don't think mind body medicine can work, don't do it.http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9 has more info if you are interested.Clinical hypnosis is a recognized therapy for several conditions.Both it and CBT usually work for about 70% of the people who try them in scientific controlled clinical trials which is about as good as any treatment ever works for pretty much anything. However, usually the mind-body therapies can't do it to you against your will, so may not be for people who just want to prove it can't work.
You actually have to do the mind part of the work.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well I do think it helps to at least have an open enough mind about it to give it a reasonable try.Now some people do not go into a self hypnotic state well, or if you do CBT they will not ever do any of the exercises they are taught or the homework they are supposed to do. However anyone who can go into a self-hypnotic state can decide they aren't going to relax and the clinical hypnosis won't work if you don't at least try to go into the clinically useful mental state.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The CD's are pretty cost effective when compared to seeing a hypnotherapist. Usually they cost that much per session and the standard in person hypnosis treatment is usually 7 sessions. Although some people can do it as a group therapy thing which may bring the cost down some.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Also you have them to use forever. And, I think (i'm only up to session 3), it could be useful for other medical conditions not just IBS. BTW, I didn't want to wait for delivery, so I downloaded the program directly onto my computer and copied it onto an MP3 player. It was instant and very simple to do.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi - I can certainly understand the mindset - as when I came to this BB in 2000 I was in total doubt as to how this method could even begin to help me - and now - 10 years later, I can say out of the dozens of treatments I went thru, this was the best. It is NOT a cure and does not work for everyone - just as other meds and treatments dont work for everyone either - but the big thing to consider here is that almost everyone, including myself, uses this program as a LAST resort, when all else has failed and for most, this was the method that provided relief, or at least some improvement.Jilly - you do not have to use them forever - some folks enjoy the sessions and want to continue using them, others no longer use them once they have found their level of relief, and others use them as desired or as a refresher during difficult times. We are all different and have varied levels of need and it is up to you if you continue, but it is not necessary.And yes, we have had reports from folks saying that the program helped them in other areas - sleep , other pain, stress, etc. And we have also have had reports from spouses or other family members who did not have IBS, listen to sessions for other concerns and found some help and calm. Though, this program was developed basically for IBS and related symptoms.As Kathleen suggests, most likely this method would not be for you at this time - I speak with folks all over the country who have gotten their lives back and have been helped greatly - if the program was not helpful for most people, there would be way more negative posts on this BB and on the net than there are - it has been around since 1998 - if it didnt work for most folks, everyone would be aware of that, and the fact of the matter is, that while there are some negative outcomes - and for those some of them didnt have IBS, or did not follow the schedule - way more folks have been helped than not. And that beats the stats for meds.The great thing about it is that the program gives hope to those who are suffering - and many who use the program have very severe and longstanding IBS where nothing has helped - this gave them hope and relief.Also, the program provides support and help if needed along the way.Hope this helps clarify for anyone - Take care and do let us know should you have any questions after reading the threads and info!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I didn't say "you have to use them forever". I said "you have them to use forever" - meaning that's good value compared with going to see a therapist personally. I get a similar effect as I did from acupuncture but that was costing me $90/session.I imagine that they might get a bit repetitive after using them for 20 years or so.....I think that I waited too long to get it and wish I'd started earlier. It's a long program - 100 days - and I probably wasted much more money on supplements etc. that I would have if I'd bought it earlier. If you are at all open to it, go for it. I used to meditate so it was easy for me cf. others I suppose.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Silly me - you are right - sorry about that - I totally read that wrong! Yep, you will have the program always to refer to when needed - I have had mine for almost 10 years, and now and then I still enjoy listening. And just like you, I wish I would have known about the program back in 1983 when I first got IBS - I was nearly housebound with very severe IBS by the time I arrived here and learned about the program in 2000 - that was a long time!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Then don't buy it. There are no guarantees with all the medications, prescriptions and supplements I have shelled out for over the years - you go to the doc, and you pay their fees, and no guarantees - so just don't buy it - not worth the worry and hassle that you paid yet again for something that possibly wont work. I had that mindset too - and I went from 1983 to 2000 paying out for stuff that didnt work, until I was at my wit's end to try this. But again, it is NOT a cure and does not work for everyone - just about every single person tries it as a last resort. About 75% to 90% are helped to some degree and many do eliminate their symptoms. $89 bucks is less than one doc visit, less than one month of meds, and less than one single session of therapy - so very very cost effective - especially considering the fact that you get support if needed at no extra charge.But for now, I would say, do NOT go for it - I doubt it will work for you given your mindset - you are not ready and with the worry over the price and no guarantee, you have already set up a mindset to prove that it wont work - I know - because I was the same way when I first heard about it - I had every objection in the book - so my thoughts to you are to continue trying other things, keep a log of how much money you spend on the meds, supplements, fiber, etc. It took me three rounds of listening before it even began to work on me - but that was also due to the fact I had many other concerns going on then too.After another year or two if all the stuff you have tried doesnt help (and perhaps you will be lucky and find something that helps long term) but if you dont, then, and only then, reconsider - and take a look at how much you have spent over the year or two...One thing about us, we never try to convince people - you have to be ready - every objection you bring up is a part of keeping you where you are - I did it too - and that is why I dont pester folks to try it - I could be posting on just about everyone's post that this will help them, but I know where I was when I came to this BB, and something in us says we have to go thru the treatment protocol first - sadly I lost so many years being so sick... and I can never get those years back with my kids - all the events I had to miss... I hate IBS - it is living hell....Ok mini-rant over... LOL :(But seriously, just hold off for now - back burner time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.