Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
23,788 Posts
I personally don't make money off the sale of tapes. I do work for Mike part time as a webmaster and have built numerous sites for him and am in the process of a new IBS register site up date and redesign.However,I and my business partner have over 300 sites as a webmasters and I maintain some of them and build some of them for people totally unrelated to IBS. I had to switch what I did for a living because of IBS and to get out of a very high stress high end restaurant postion of over twenty years.I lose money every month in IBS however, from my personal sites, my bb and my time, which is overwhelming. I am not in it for the money, although it would be great someday to be compensated for the major time and effort I put into it all over the years, but I still do it regardless, because of the major impact it has had on my life. It is satisfying to me to be able to help others, but frankly it doesn't pay my bills and I do it out of dedication and from the heart.I also have a part time to almost full time job as a chef.I make 50 a month hosting and maintaining two sites and it is quite a bit of work and costs.I am very careful of what I say in regards to Mike tapes and myself and never push them. In part because of the relationship, otherwise I would post it all the time, it has been the best thing I have ever done and many people that have done them since I have on here and there are lots of people. They have a momentum of their own now.When I started posting here about five years ago, Mike Mahoney was also posting to the bb here. Marilyn had not yet Joined to my knowledge. It was a much smaller group around 800 then, not the tens of thousands it has become and most of us were very close friends. Many have left now.I was extremely desperate for relief and had many suicidal thoughts from it and living with the symptoms, especially the very severe pain I was having about four times a week, sometimes twice a day or all day. I didn't make up "My Story." On the recommendation of Judy who was a bb member and who has since pasted away, god rest her soul, I decided to try them after reading up on HT for IBS. I will be forever in grateful to her. It took off from there here and there is a record of it all in posts and the archives. It was then that I started recommending them to others. First damn thing I found that really worked on my global symptoms.I have also never suggested they work for everyone, but you will never know unless you try them or even a trained hypnotherapist.I don't really feel the need to explain myself, but am for the record, because this comes up from time to time. I also post way more IBS information then I talk about hypnotherapy as a successful treatment. I also post a lot about stress reduction and psychophysiological arousal and up to date IBS information.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
masterplan Given the shear number of posts by people who come here to "Sell products" and the shear number of bogus websites on treatments for IBS, most of which lack any sceintific studies, I understand anyones concern about "this worked for me." But like you pointed out now its worked for a lot of people or they would be gone off the site. "There's enough other evidence on the forum to suggest that it's worth gambling "Anyone who wants to can ask myself or Marilyn what involvement we have at any time. That is totally up front.Of course Both of us also try to help users as they go as well. It isn't just about a "sale" and leaving people in the dust. There is more to it then that in a bigger picture. It is one benefit to them and others helping.I have personally helped guide hundreds through the process. I don't get money for that at all.On my own website over the years I have had tons of people with products they want on my site. I refuse to put anything there that doesn't have some good research behind it as a legitimate treatment for IBS. I would have made some money had I done that, but I would have probably "hurt" people in the process of doing that and advertising for moneys sake and not really to help people with IBS. I apply the same ideas to Mike's sites. First do no harm.I have spent an enormous amount of time researching Hypnotherapy in general and Hypnotherapy for IBS as well as IBS and digestive system functioning which itself is extremely important. A large part of that was with real researcher in real time. I knew nothing about Hypnotherapy when I joined here.All I can say is I personally can share what I have learned and people can make up their own choices and decisions. After years of doing this I have gained a substanial amount of information. I think if someone is really paying attension and interested in the program and following Mike, who is a real expert on this with very good credentials, or Marilyns advise or mine, ask questions, check references, read the websites and such they will see the dedication and the help. Even if someone wants to find a Therapist in person, we help with that for HT or CBT. I also looked at some old posts. The first was two years agohttp://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...010482#14010482This was one of the first posts, with Judy(Persistance) telling me about HT for IBS in 1999.http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...210234#79210234We even use to have HT and IBS chats in the chat roomI do know also there would be a lot of people who were successful with the tapes posting to this thread who have left the group.Jean GAZmomJudamaressencejane93norbertBRand many many more I can't even remeber anymore.Take a look through some old posts in the archives.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
PS Masterplan, I would give you just as much help trying to understand the role of serotonin in IBS, or Pet and Fmri scans in IBS, Or the role of the immune system in IBS or foods as triggers in IBS or stress as a contributer as well as a trigger in IBS or how the weather can trigger symptoms, or moleclur defects seen in IBS, or any other information I could personally help you with in regards to IBS and my own understanding of the disorder, including other treatments.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Masterplan,Just fyi but my website IBS Health has been reviewed by UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders, by the experts including the Rome committee Chairman before it was listed. This site is as well and not many IBS sites make it there I can tell you.http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/links.htmYou might also want to look around that site by the way.Patient Education http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/publ...n_materials.htmMy site was also reviewed and listed as well as this one onIFFGDInternational Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders"A variety of self-help sites and commercial sites with message boards are available on the Internet. Examples that provide health related bulletin/message boards and other resources include the IBS Self Help Group (www.ibsgroup.org), and the IBS Health Online Bulletin Board (www.ibshope.com and www.ibshealth.com).http://www.iffgd.org/SelfHelp.htmlNot many sites make it there either.I also subscribe to Health on the Net Foundation.http://www.hon.ch/HONcode/I have had IBS now for over thirty five years. I have been in pain I would never fully be able to explain to anyone, except another IBSer and even that is not easy. I have had many other symptoms from it as well. Every day, day after day for thirty five years. I am now with global symptoms 80 percent better four years after Mike's help and many others are as well.I fully appreciate this condition and what it does to people. I also understand the internet and internet information. There is a lot of bad information out there. In regards to any diagnoses, treatment or whatever, always ask your doctor about it and read up on it from reliable sources. Sorry, you feel the way you do and perhaps maybe we can change how you feel about it with time.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Car, I am sorry to hear they didn't help you. Of course if his voice irritated you, you can't relax enough for them to help. Did you ever email him about your situation?Over the years I have heard from many who think his voice is very relaxing, including myself. Of course a lot of those are from the USA, but many from England as well. I noticed you were from Ireland. I wonder if its some kind of language issue perhaps. In any regards I hope you find something that does help, CBT for IBSis a possible option of course.What money have you spent on treatments that do work and how much on ones that haven't worked?A question for you though, are you glad they have helped many other people with IBS on the bb here?There is a hypnotherapy for IBS unit at the "University Hospital of South Manchester, England " This is one of the UK top senior Gastro docs centers.This is important, they won't help everyone for various reason, Some we can help with, but they work for the majority of people who try them. We are all different and unless a person does try then they may never know if they work or not.That is true with every IBS treatment. Anti depressants help 1 in 3 people statistically. Lotronex and d, if I remember correctly helps about a third and zelnorm and c if I remeber right helps about half the people. OF course there are no serotonin meds for alternators yet.As well as the risks of medications, however I am personally not agaisnt meds. if they will help.HT about 8 in ten people are helped statically and for most the effects last lasts long after the treatment stops. That means something important.Somethings to read from experts in IBS.http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/hypnosis.htmlhttp://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/HypnosisPalsson.htmlhttp://www.ibshypnosis.com/index.htmlSteptoe, the kind of therapist you see for IBS greatly matters, they haave to have REAL experience and knowledge about IBS, regarless if they use HT or CBT or psycotherapy. On another note, while HT has been shown to work physiologically and psychologically on IBS, in c predominate IBS, anxiety can contribute to consitpation, in part by putting the gut into sympathetic nervous system mode.It is not the only way it works. It is also very effective for pain in IBS.From Jeff's notes at the "Patient symposium for understanding IBS and other functional GI Disorders was held by the UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders on July 15, 2006.Olafur Palsson gave a very practical presentation on the clinical uses of hypnosis.70-80% benefit in studies for pain and IBShome hypnosis shows an improvement vs. standard medical care with no hypnosis"http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...261/m/131102842

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Wow, this thread is 2 years old? That was some interesting reading and valid issues.By the way at this time I am not working for Mike.Agony, I don't no what to say when somebody posts comments like those. I am however sorry you feel the way you do and they did not help you personally here it seems. Maybe another try with help, they might actually still help, HT works that way the more you do it. I can hear the frustration in your post. However we will still help you out, even if its looking for another method or treatment or IBS info.If your were having problems did you ask for anyone's help with them?You know if you have a medication or treatment for IBS and it worked for 80 percent of the people who took it or did it and really helped other would you tell everyone not to try something because it didn't personally work for you? While you may feel it was not helpful to you the Fact remains they have been very helpful to hundreds here and thousands elsewhere. Would you be happy for them?The list has grown on this bb since the two years of this post.http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5373Some people get better quickly, most start to around halfway through and then some are more refractory might take longer and for some they don't work. Marilyn listened a few times I know of while she did them and others as well many of which I guided through in the begining and now Marilyn helps guide people through if people need help. Lots of people who have did them now have left the bb. These are bb memeber though like everyone here real people and the tapes have been here before I even joined many years ago. How is that a scam?This however is not a medication and does not work for everyone, there is an important process to them The majority of those who try it about 80% are helped. It is a different kind of more holistic therapy for IBS using very structure methods. Mike's credential are upfront and reliable and people can check them out themselves. Almost every sound and word in the tapes is there for specific reasons. We all are well aware treatments don't work for everyone, but when you have a high percentage where it is really helping and long term, that is something to take notice of and perhaps look into for others.Discouraging remarks without some kind of discussion of how someone really feels, and I believe everyone with IBS understands the emotions to treatments here can be constructive and valid but also on the otherhand counterproductive as well and people who could be helped are then not, because they may have heard one person's harsh comments stand out more then the many who have offered their successes with it. I know for an absolute fact no one sell's the tapes to harm anyone in anyway and they are there because they have and do work and can and are helping people with IBS. Mike has won awards for his work with IBS and other conditions. So Agaony I know there are people who would be more then happy to help you at this stage if you would like it. The thing is to get better that is the goal.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Sunspot, I am all for any kind of relaxation methods for IBS, especially in d and d/c as well as c predominate IBS where the fight or flight is a major issue. I believe its highly important, because for one the major influences on IBS and brain gut communications. This is well known in IBS research.But there are also important differences between just relaxation and HT for IBS which uses specific methods to treat IBS. HT for IBS though is not just about lowering stress and anxiety, that is a side effect of the process and it works other ways as well on IBS."That is, to the extent anxiety is part of the issue in exacerbating things, I have found that doing things to relax me in between sessions with the hypnotherapy CDs has been a wonderful addition."I am happy to hear this and the more a person can illicit the relaxation responce to counter the fight or flight the better. I like Enya and classical music :(How far along are you with Mike's cd's.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
FYIHOW AND WHY HYPNOSIS WORKSThomas Yarnell, Ph.D."The hypnotic state, by itself, is only useful for the relaxation it produces. The real importance of hypnosis to the healing and emotional change process is that while you are in the hypnotic state, your mind is open and receptive to suggestions. Positive and healing suggestions are able to sink deeply into your mind much more quickly and strongly than when you are in a normal, awake state of mind. I say positive suggestions because all research has demonstrated that while in the hypnotic state, you cannot be made to do anything against your moral values. "http://hypnosisandu.homestead.com/Everyone who does it knows you can't be made to do anything against your will or anything like that and "stage hypnosis" for entertainment purposes, which is of course is not what medical hypnosis is all about.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Sunspot, I was just pointing it out, but agree listening to soothing music is a good thing and understood what your were saying, but wanted to make clear to others as well here.I know some bass in certain music and the vibrations can set mine off even. Excitement can set it off even so this can go the other way too.I have watched a lot of people progress through the Program now and reading your post, it sounds like your on your way. Things like"It is frankly just letting me carve out a point in the day I put everything aside and just concentrate on nothing (other than listening) which is a far cry from my usual routine of an extremely stressful job, two young active boys, etc."Is all you have to do.
Let us know how you progress.I am truely sorry Agony does feel that way and I hope he or she went through the program schedule correctly or if they had any problem to contact someone. Maybe its something still fixable, but there has to be some discussion or something. Some people have some issues when doing them and usally Mike or someone gets them back on tract and they later have a successful outcome. Or maybe HT wasn't right for the person and maybe CBT or mindfulness meditation or whatever, because all these things are good in general and research shows they are effective for IBS.

· Registered
23,788 Posts

· Registered
23,788 Posts
"I guess the question in my mind is if probiotics and kefir help (in fact clear up) my diarrhea problem (too early to say cure), is this still potentially IBS-D? Or is it just an altered gut flora that desparately needs rebalancing."Could certainly still be IBS. Probiotics have had some potential for treating IBS, mainly pain and bloating, but there can be trasnsient "bad" bacteria that can trigger IBS. They are looking at the interactions of bacteria and the gut as we speak and the flora is different in people and where they live, if there under stressors etc... It also is really complex. People also don't or maynot fully realize what effects stress and emotions has on altering the bacterial flora. There can also sometimes be some bad bugs in there, but its not looking like bacteria will be the sole answer to IBS itself, but more contribute to the problem or help the problems.One thing here is they have found abnormalities in IBSers and it has to do with how the brain and gut interact.You should read this because its very important.http://www.merck.com/yourhealthnow/volume2-2/braingut.htmlalso"Gut Bacteria and Irritable Bowel Syndrome By: Eamonn, M. M. Quigley M.D., Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, IrelandBacteria are present in the normal gut (intestines) and in large numbers the lower parts of the intestine. These "normal" bacteria have important functions in life. A variety of factors may disturb the mutually beneficial relationship between the flora and its host, and disease may result. The possibility that gut bacteria could have a role in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) may surprise some; there is indeed, now quite substantial evidence to support the idea that disturbances in the bacteria that populate the intestine may have a role in at least some patients with IBS. This article presents a discussion of the possible role of bacteria in IBS and various treatment approaches."Do bacteria play a role in IBS?The possibility that gut bacteria could have a role Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) may surprize some; there is indeed, now quite substantial evidence to support the idea that distrubances in the bacteria that populate the intestines may have a role in at least some patients with IBS. What is this evidence? It can be summarized as follows:1. surveys which found that antibiotic use, well known to distrub flora, may predispose individuals to IBS.2. The observation that some individuals may develop IBS suddenly, and for the first time, following an episode of stomach or intestinal infection (gatroenteritis) caused by a bacterial infection.My note: (post infectious IBS) There are important structural cell changes in PI IBS and PI IBS has been demonstarted now as a brain gut axis issue.3. recent evidence that a very low level of inflammation may be present in the bowel wall of some IBS patients, a degree of inflammation that could well have resulted from abnormal interactions with bacteria in the gut.Note: This is complex as well and also has brain gut axis involved with stress and mast cells, something called neurogenic inflammation. So here many factors can be involved.4. The Suggestion that IBS maybe Associated with the abnormal presents, , in the small intestines, of types and numbers; a condition termed small bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)>Note: This is still slightly controversal and not looking like the "cause" of IBS, but some people may have sibo and IBS.5. Accumaliting evidence to indicate that altering the bacteria in the gut, by antibiotics or probiotics, may improve symptoms in IBS.Note: its important to look at what improvements and whay here.For some time, various studies have suggested the presence of changes in the kind of colonic flora in IBS patients. The most consistent finding is a relative decrease in the population of one species of 'good' bacteria, bifidobacteria.However, the methods employed in these studies have been subject to question and other studies have not always reproduced these finding. Nevertheless, these changes in the flora, maybe primary or secondary, could lead to the increase of bacterial species that produce more gas and other products of their metabolism. These could CONTRIBUTE to symptoms such as gas, bloating and diarrhea.""We still don't know the exact role bacteria has in IBS. More research is needed."http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/currentParticipate.htmla videohttp://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-cent...corner/gutflora

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Hi Larualee, hope your doing well. Long time no talk too. As much as I was taken aback by the comments, I am sorry it turned out the way it seems to have and the person feels the way they do. We all know that is a rare exemption not the rule. Its to bad though. Maybe the'll take the time to look more throughly into things and find out its the opposite of what they posted and can still be helped perhaps.Bluenurse, glad to hear you have decided to try them and it sounds like things are going well. Keep us updated.When I think about all the years I suffered really really badly and it was Mike's tapes that helped the most I am still pretty shocked about it, but now that I know a lot more about it all and IBS, it makes a lot more sense to me.From my perscpetive from being the first one to do them to all the help they have given to hundreds of people I know personally and quite possibly thousands now as more and more people hear about them and try them. Its pretty amazing and it does cause a heavy heart to think Mike or Marilyn or others who really care on Mike's staff behind the scenes or myself are somehow indifferent to IBS and IBSers and their lives and even family. I think that is a misunderstanding for sure. These people go out of their way everyday to help other people and in Marilyns case she has IBS and that makes it even harder to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.