Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Fair enough!Yes, things are going well, though they appeared to have started going well even before the IBS program. I was having intermittent loose bowels for about a year (and itchiness), but in particular chronic diarrhea the last 6-7 months. Doctors have had different diagnosis, with the IBS-D one coming from a GI who did a colonoscopy and without any other analysis just declared me as with IBS. Put me on amitryptiline which did nothing and never even checked up on me again (idiot).Not that I am in denial, I just found that I have not gotten the right doctor to do a full "system check" to rule the rest out. As you will see in my other posts, I have apparently come to a really great place by using a probiotic mix with kefir twice daily, after also having been treated for a parasite (if there really was one). I have finally identified a great GI and will go see her beginnig of next month - I am hopeful regardless whether I am controlling things that she can help me identify what is the issue.And that is the problem - since there has not been a consistent diagnosis, I am left fumbling with whether this is a screwed up flora, IBS-D or another parasitic cause. So instead of taking chances, I will continue with my probio therapy plus felt even if I do not have IBS-D, Mike's CDs are still useful to try. Why not, cannot hurt! And since I like them, all the better!!!

· Registered
23,788 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Eric:Appreciate the link. I guess the question in my mind is if probiotics and kefir help (in fact clear up) my diarrhea problem (too early to say cure), is this still potentially IBS-D? Or is it just an altered gut flora that desparately needs rebalancing.That is, I would have thought if IBS is really related to brain/gut function then if I have a bacterial flora imbalance that the probios are helping correct, even though symptoms are similar was it really ever IBS?Not that it matters much to me if I have symptoms and they are cured (not that I am cured but I am controlled)! But I get the impression that if a brain/gut issue is IBS then probiotics really don't quite clarify for me why this solution would help.Also, note that I have never really ever had abdominal pain. Just the diarrhea, first intermittent and then immediately post-prandial starting in the summer. I did have a lot of stress, also travelled abroad a few times, etc.The gut is so complex and it is no wonder ascertaining whether the symptoms point to IBS or another disorder can be so tough to settle down on (for some of us anyway). I have no doubt for some people the diagnosis of IBS is relatively more straight forward, but with some of us on the edge where the answer isn't so clear cut, I just wonder...

· Registered
23,788 Posts
"I guess the question in my mind is if probiotics and kefir help (in fact clear up) my diarrhea problem (too early to say cure), is this still potentially IBS-D? Or is it just an altered gut flora that desparately needs rebalancing."Could certainly still be IBS. Probiotics have had some potential for treating IBS, mainly pain and bloating, but there can be trasnsient "bad" bacteria that can trigger IBS. They are looking at the interactions of bacteria and the gut as we speak and the flora is different in people and where they live, if there under stressors etc... It also is really complex. People also don't or maynot fully realize what effects stress and emotions has on altering the bacterial flora. There can also sometimes be some bad bugs in there, but its not looking like bacteria will be the sole answer to IBS itself, but more contribute to the problem or help the problems.One thing here is they have found abnormalities in IBSers and it has to do with how the brain and gut interact.You should read this because its very important.http://www.merck.com/yourhealthnow/volume2-2/braingut.htmlalso"Gut Bacteria and Irritable Bowel Syndrome By: Eamonn, M. M. Quigley M.D., Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, IrelandBacteria are present in the normal gut (intestines) and in large numbers the lower parts of the intestine. These "normal" bacteria have important functions in life. A variety of factors may disturb the mutually beneficial relationship between the flora and its host, and disease may result. The possibility that gut bacteria could have a role in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) may surprise some; there is indeed, now quite substantial evidence to support the idea that disturbances in the bacteria that populate the intestine may have a role in at least some patients with IBS. This article presents a discussion of the possible role of bacteria in IBS and various treatment approaches."Do bacteria play a role in IBS?The possibility that gut bacteria could have a role Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) may surprize some; there is indeed, now quite substantial evidence to support the idea that distrubances in the bacteria that populate the intestines may have a role in at least some patients with IBS. What is this evidence? It can be summarized as follows:1. surveys which found that antibiotic use, well known to distrub flora, may predispose individuals to IBS.2. The observation that some individuals may develop IBS suddenly, and for the first time, following an episode of stomach or intestinal infection (gatroenteritis) caused by a bacterial infection.My note: (post infectious IBS) There are important structural cell changes in PI IBS and PI IBS has been demonstarted now as a brain gut axis issue.3. recent evidence that a very low level of inflammation may be present in the bowel wall of some IBS patients, a degree of inflammation that could well have resulted from abnormal interactions with bacteria in the gut.Note: This is complex as well and also has brain gut axis involved with stress and mast cells, something called neurogenic inflammation. So here many factors can be involved.4. The Suggestion that IBS maybe Associated with the abnormal presents, , in the small intestines, of types and numbers; a condition termed small bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)>Note: This is still slightly controversal and not looking like the "cause" of IBS, but some people may have sibo and IBS.5. Accumaliting evidence to indicate that altering the bacteria in the gut, by antibiotics or probiotics, may improve symptoms in IBS.Note: its important to look at what improvements and whay here.For some time, various studies have suggested the presence of changes in the kind of colonic flora in IBS patients. The most consistent finding is a relative decrease in the population of one species of 'good' bacteria, bifidobacteria.However, the methods employed in these studies have been subject to question and other studies have not always reproduced these finding. Nevertheless, these changes in the flora, maybe primary or secondary, could lead to the increase of bacterial species that produce more gas and other products of their metabolism. These could CONTRIBUTE to symptoms such as gas, bloating and diarrhea.""We still don't know the exact role bacteria has in IBS. More research is needed."http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/currentParticipate.htmla videohttp://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-cent...corner/gutflora

· Registered
451 Posts
I, personally, am offended by agony's remarks. Mike's tapes may not work for everyone, but that does not make them quackery by any means. Mike is one of the most caring and helpful people I have ever had the pleasure to talk to. He will go way above and beyond the call of duty to help other people. There is no scam here! Mike's tapes gave me my life back. They weren't a cure - I still have IBS and still have flares, but I now have the ability to go out for lunch without having to immediately find a bathroom. I no longer have the pains that were leaving me suicidal. Who do I have to thank for that? Mike and his hypno tapes! Eric and Marilyn are also angels here on Earth. They both are IBS sufferers who have been helped by the hypno and now dedicate a whole lot of themselves to helping the rest of us. They don't endorse the tapes because they do (or did) work for Mike. They endorse the tapes because the tapes helped them. I know that I will forever be grateful to Mike and also to Eric and Marilyn. The hypno was the best thing I could have done and I highly recommend it to anyone who is suffering as I was.

· Registered
4,443 Posts
Thank you Lauralee, for your kind words - I have passed them onto Mike as I know he appreciates lovely feedback such as yours. You know, I have been on this BB for a long time - and though I work with Mike, my time and most of what I do to get the word out has been done at my own expense. It costs way more to have the programs available - the expenses of providing the program far exceed what comes in. I think we IBS sufferers have been taken for so long - myself included - by so much disappointment and lack of treatment options, that we are ready to fail sometimes. We dont give things a chance, or we need to realize it is a journey and not everything works for everyone - it is a journey to be sure....After speaking with many who are angry at having this IBS, the frustration is so high that by the time I talk to them, they are just so overwhelmed - I have talked to people who by the end of the conversation, were just happy to know they were not alone - many were suicidal - it is a scary thing to feel the way we do. I have been there. Thank you again, Lauralee for your kind thoughts, words and encouragement to others. Mike has always said - DO NOT try the program if you are not ready, only consider them when the time is right, and if in doubt don't do them yet and talk to your doctor, look at the research for clinical hypnotherapy, do your homework - look at other people's overall experience - if the IBS Audio Program did not help the vast majority of users on this BB, they would have been long gone, Jeff would not allow discussion of it on this BB - Jeff has personally met Mike and myself at the IFFGD Symposium, we have a history of helping folks here. I wish I could hand out the program to every one curled up in the fetal position in pain, cramping, D, etc. and make them better... This thread has sort of gotten off topic, so further discussions off topic might be better in a new thread so as to not confuse new readers coming to the forum...Take care all -

· Registered
20 Posts
I have just recieved Mike's tapes, and I'm only on day 3. I just have to say, even if they can't cure my IBS, they will surely help with anxiety.I see a difference in my anxiety level already!! Today my pain level has greatly improved. I know it's too early to make any definite conclusions.I just find my 30 min sessions so relaxing; I love his calm voice. I'm thrilled that I decided to order them. I will post periodically about my progress . But for now, I am so pleased. Thanks to the people on this board that recomended them..

· Registered
451 Posts
Marilyn - You're welcome. I am just so grateful to Mike and his tapes that it really bothers me when people get the wrong idea about them! bluenurse - I wish you success on your journey!

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Hi Larualee, hope your doing well. Long time no talk too. As much as I was taken aback by the comments, I am sorry it turned out the way it seems to have and the person feels the way they do. We all know that is a rare exemption not the rule. Its to bad though. Maybe the'll take the time to look more throughly into things and find out its the opposite of what they posted and can still be helped perhaps.Bluenurse, glad to hear you have decided to try them and it sounds like things are going well. Keep us updated.When I think about all the years I suffered really really badly and it was Mike's tapes that helped the most I am still pretty shocked about it, but now that I know a lot more about it all and IBS, it makes a lot more sense to me.From my perscpetive from being the first one to do them to all the help they have given to hundreds of people I know personally and quite possibly thousands now as more and more people hear about them and try them. Its pretty amazing and it does cause a heavy heart to think Mike or Marilyn or others who really care on Mike's staff behind the scenes or myself are somehow indifferent to IBS and IBSers and their lives and even family. I think that is a misunderstanding for sure. These people go out of their way everyday to help other people and in Marilyns case she has IBS and that makes it even harder to do.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.