Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of try Michael Mahoney`s ibs audio program, as my ibs-d is starting to control me, and my life, and i now think its time i got control back, im taking all the usual stuff, Immodium, Caltrate, Codeine phosphate and im trying to watch what i eat, but i still get almost daily attacks, and just going to work every day seems to be a small victory, just as long im not more than 5 mins from the toilet. Has anyone used the audio program?, if so can you give me any feed back........Rob

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Quite a few people here have done them.Use the Hop to scroll bar below to go to the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy part of the board. Lots of people's experiences with the tapes are there.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Quite a few people here have done them.Use the Hop to scroll bar below to go to the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy part of the board. Lots of people's experiences with the tapes are there.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
RobbieJ, if you have any questions feel free to ask. A lot of people here are using them or have used them, they are very effective for the majority of people who use them. Also, they work on the condition of IBS as a whole with all the symptoms and this is important. They are not a cure, as there is no cure, however HT is one of the most effective treatments for IBS with an 80 percent success rate with an 60 to 80 percent effectiveness to the condition. Mike's tapes are, I believe one of the best things you can do for IBS and they are cost effective and have taken years to develop. They have been on this bb, helping people for around three years.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
RobbieJ, if you have any questions feel free to ask. A lot of people here are using them or have used them, they are very effective for the majority of people who use them. Also, they work on the condition of IBS as a whole with all the symptoms and this is important. They are not a cure, as there is no cure, however HT is one of the most effective treatments for IBS with an 80 percent success rate with an 60 to 80 percent effectiveness to the condition. Mike's tapes are, I believe one of the best things you can do for IBS and they are cost effective and have taken years to develop. They have been on this bb, helping people for around three years.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I just wanted to add when I say it works on the whole condition these two things, in order to perhaps understand it more. The drugs even the newer ones mainly tartget a symptom or two, whereas HT or CBT can break the vicious cycle loop. Although they are also working on many other levels including serotonin regulation although this needs futher study in exactly how.DrugsAm J Manag Care 2001 Jul;7(8 Suppl):S261-7 Books Drug therapy options for patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Talley NJ. Existing pharmacotherapeutic options for the treatment of patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) are limited in treating the multiple symptoms associated with the disorder. There is much interest in the use of serotonin agents as new therapeutics. Acting primarily through 5-HT3 and 5-HT4 receptors, serotonin elicits changes in motor function and possibly visceral sensation. Two serotonin agents were developed specifically for IBS: tegaserod, a 5-HT4 receptor partial agonist, and alosetron, a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist (which is no longer available). Phase III clinical trial data show that during a 12-week treatment period with tegaserod, IBS patients with abdominal pain and discomfort, bloating, and constipation experienced significant global relief (i.e., improvement in overall well-being, abdominal pain, and bowel habit) compared with placebo. Improvement in bowel movement frequency and consistency was achieved and pain was relieved by 1 week. During 12 weeks of treatment, alosetron was shown to elicit significant relief of abdominal pain and discomfort compared with placebo or mebeverine in female IBS patients with diarrhea. Alosetron slowed colonic transit and treatment efficacy was apparent after a week of treatment. Another 5-HT4 receptor agonist, prucalopride, which is being developed for chronic constipation, accelerates colonic transit and increases stool frequency. Therefore, this agent may be of benefit in IBS patients with constipation. PMID: 11474911 [PubMed - in process] HT and CBT2001 Aug;4(4):323-331 Related Articles, Books Psychologic Therapies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Boyce P. Department of Psychological Medicine, University of Sydney, Nepean Hospital, PO Box 63, Penrith, New South Wales 2751, Australia. pboyce###mail.usyd.edu.au The treatment of patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a difficult task, as the results from therapy with pharmacologic agents have been disappointing. Psychologic treatments, in particular cognitive behavior therapy, hypnotherapy, and dynamic psychotherapy have all shown to be effective in the treatment of patients with IBS. Underpinning all these treatments is a clear understanding of a biopsychosocial model of interaction between emotion and gut function in IBS. These psychologic therapies are intended to break the negative feedback loop between emotion and gut function in order to reduce symptoms. Attention to the psychologic issues underlying IBS helps reduce psychosocial factors that maintain the presence of symptoms and inappropriate health-care seeking behavior. There are a number of common elements in the psychologic approaches that can be used in routine clinical practice; these include a detailed assessment, psychoeducation, support, and reassurance. PMID: 11469991 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I just wanted to add when I say it works on the whole condition these two things, in order to perhaps understand it more. The drugs even the newer ones mainly tartget a symptom or two, whereas HT or CBT can break the vicious cycle loop. Although they are also working on many other levels including serotonin regulation although this needs futher study in exactly how.DrugsAm J Manag Care 2001 Jul;7(8 Suppl):S261-7 Books Drug therapy options for patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Talley NJ. Existing pharmacotherapeutic options for the treatment of patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) are limited in treating the multiple symptoms associated with the disorder. There is much interest in the use of serotonin agents as new therapeutics. Acting primarily through 5-HT3 and 5-HT4 receptors, serotonin elicits changes in motor function and possibly visceral sensation. Two serotonin agents were developed specifically for IBS: tegaserod, a 5-HT4 receptor partial agonist, and alosetron, a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist (which is no longer available). Phase III clinical trial data show that during a 12-week treatment period with tegaserod, IBS patients with abdominal pain and discomfort, bloating, and constipation experienced significant global relief (i.e., improvement in overall well-being, abdominal pain, and bowel habit) compared with placebo. Improvement in bowel movement frequency and consistency was achieved and pain was relieved by 1 week. During 12 weeks of treatment, alosetron was shown to elicit significant relief of abdominal pain and discomfort compared with placebo or mebeverine in female IBS patients with diarrhea. Alosetron slowed colonic transit and treatment efficacy was apparent after a week of treatment. Another 5-HT4 receptor agonist, prucalopride, which is being developed for chronic constipation, accelerates colonic transit and increases stool frequency. Therefore, this agent may be of benefit in IBS patients with constipation. PMID: 11474911 [PubMed - in process] HT and CBT2001 Aug;4(4):323-331 Related Articles, Books Psychologic Therapies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Boyce P. Department of Psychological Medicine, University of Sydney, Nepean Hospital, PO Box 63, Penrith, New South Wales 2751, Australia. pboyce###mail.usyd.edu.au The treatment of patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a difficult task, as the results from therapy with pharmacologic agents have been disappointing. Psychologic treatments, in particular cognitive behavior therapy, hypnotherapy, and dynamic psychotherapy have all shown to be effective in the treatment of patients with IBS. Underpinning all these treatments is a clear understanding of a biopsychosocial model of interaction between emotion and gut function in IBS. These psychologic therapies are intended to break the negative feedback loop between emotion and gut function in order to reduce symptoms. Attention to the psychologic issues underlying IBS helps reduce psychosocial factors that maintain the presence of symptoms and inappropriate health-care seeking behavior. There are a number of common elements in the psychologic approaches that can be used in routine clinical practice; these include a detailed assessment, psychoeducation, support, and reassurance. PMID: 11469991 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Yes, I'd agree, Mike's tapes are the best treatment available right now. However, as someone who did take Zelnorm during a clinical drug trial, I have to say the newer drugs do target the entire range of IBS symptoms. I felt normal and could eat normally when I took the Zelnorm. Unfortunately that was almost three years ago and I'm doing my best with Mike's tapes right now. The tapes have been a godsend, but don't discount the drugs.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Yes, I'd agree, Mike's tapes are the best treatment available right now. However, as someone who did take Zelnorm during a clinical drug trial, I have to say the newer drugs do target the entire range of IBS symptoms. I felt normal and could eat normally when I took the Zelnorm. Unfortunately that was almost three years ago and I'm doing my best with Mike's tapes right now. The tapes have been a godsend, but don't discount the drugs.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Gail, not discounting the drugs at all, combination therapies are a good thing. Also, for myself I am drug free from IBS right now.I know for some individuals lotronex or zelnorm are good things. But, I also remember when lotronex came out people still had anxiety as a symptom or some other symptom.I am not saying anything is an either or method, just the way things work.I know how sensitive people can be to the drug issue. I am sensitive and remain sensitive to that as well and the goal is to get better with whatever we try and a lot of these a.Personally, I like the fact there is no side effects with using the CBT or hypno and you continue to improve after the treatment, but I have no problem with drugs and these things can be use very effectively in combination with no problems.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Gail, not discounting the drugs at all, combination therapies are a good thing. Also, for myself I am drug free from IBS right now.I know for some individuals lotronex or zelnorm are good things. But, I also remember when lotronex came out people still had anxiety as a symptom or some other symptom.I am not saying anything is an either or method, just the way things work.I know how sensitive people can be to the drug issue. I am sensitive and remain sensitive to that as well and the goal is to get better with whatever we try and a lot of these a.Personally, I like the fact there is no side effects with using the CBT or hypno and you continue to improve after the treatment, but I have no problem with drugs and these things can be use very effectively in combination with no problems.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
288 Posts
I used the tapes and feel that they have really helped. I still have an occassional attack, but nothing like I used to. The tapes also helped me to be less stressed about being sick and to handle my IBS much better. I have not regretted my decision to use them at all. I feel that they have been very beneficial to me. I hope you give them a try.Kim

·
Registered
288 Posts
I used the tapes and feel that they have really helped. I still have an occassional attack, but nothing like I used to. The tapes also helped me to be less stressed about being sick and to handle my IBS much better. I have not regretted my decision to use them at all. I feel that they have been very beneficial to me. I hope you give them a try.Kim

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Kim and Gail, thanks for posting and sharing your experiences, I believe its very important.I waant to add one more thing. With the new drugs, they are either for D people or C people, but there is a giant grooup of C and D people with no new drugs available for them, since a big part of the mechanisms involved with hypno are like the drugs it is an option for C and D people. This is one reason hypno or cbt are a good treatment, because of its effectiveness and its approach to all the symptoms and its mechanism and the mechanism IBS present.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Kim and Gail, thanks for posting and sharing your experiences, I believe its very important.I waant to add one more thing. With the new drugs, they are either for D people or C people, but there is a giant grooup of C and D people with no new drugs available for them, since a big part of the mechanisms involved with hypno are like the drugs it is an option for C and D people. This is one reason hypno or cbt are a good treatment, because of its effectiveness and its approach to all the symptoms and its mechanism and the mechanism IBS present.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts