Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Has anyone with IBS-C tried flaxseed meal or ground flaxseed to help alleviate the symptoms? I had read about so many health benefits to flaxseed that I started eating three tablespoons of flaxseed meal daily on my breakfast cereal. I was not taking the flaxseed meal for IBS; but in about a month, I noticed a real improvement in my IBS symptoms. If you want to try this, you can buy flaxseed meal/powder at a health food store or even some grocery stores. You can also purchase whole flaxseeds and grind them yourself in a coffee or spice grinder. Hey, it might be worth a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Eva,I bought a package of the ground flaxseed and had all intentions of using it, but after I read about the amount of fiber in it, I got all scared. I'm extremely sensitive to fiber, what I mean is that it gasses me up to the hilt! But I really wanted to try it. I took a tiny taste of it and it tasted really good I thought. Did you notice a problem with gas after you began using it? Just wondering.......Megan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Eva,I bought a package of the ground flaxseed and had all intentions of using it, but after I read about the amount of fiber in it, I got all scared. I'm extremely sensitive to fiber, what I mean is that it gasses me up to the hilt! But I really wanted to try it. I took a tiny taste of it and it tasted really good I thought. Did you notice a problem with gas after you began using it? Just wondering.......Megan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi HipJan....I really do want to try the flaxseed, but I am still a bit leary of it. I mean, one bite of oatmeal can gas me up terribly, so I just don't know about the flaxseed. Too, I think it tastes kind of like pecans or some kind of nut, and nuts do a terrible number on my belly, so I guess it's kind of phsychological too. I associate the flaxseed with the pecans, so therefore I'm a bigger chicken than I was before.....Oh well.....I may brave up and give it a try this morning
Thanks,Megan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi HipJan....I really do want to try the flaxseed, but I am still a bit leary of it. I mean, one bite of oatmeal can gas me up terribly, so I just don't know about the flaxseed. Too, I think it tastes kind of like pecans or some kind of nut, and nuts do a terrible number on my belly, so I guess it's kind of phsychological too. I associate the flaxseed with the pecans, so therefore I'm a bigger chicken than I was before.....Oh well.....I may brave up and give it a try this morning
Thanks,Megan

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a lot of trouble with fiber ans gas also, but I generally don't get very much gas with ground flax seed.I don't use it though because somehow for me it actually causes more C!Linda

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a lot of trouble with fiber ans gas also, but I generally don't get very much gas with ground flax seed.I don't use it though because somehow for me it actually causes more C!Linda

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I don't know, Megan, "everyone is so different." Maybe you could experiment with just a tsp or two and see.... Or, you could try the flax oil straight (you get some of the same benefits but without the fiber).

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I don't know, Megan, "everyone is so different." Maybe you could experiment with just a tsp or two and see.... Or, you could try the flax oil straight (you get some of the same benefits but without the fiber).

·
Registered
287 Posts
I too am all for finding anything to help my C, but taking Metamucil caused me nothing but gas and pain in my lower ribcage area. I've got a whole cabinet of tested medications and supplements at home so maybe one more won't hurt.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I too am all for finding anything to help my C, but taking Metamucil caused me nothing but gas and pain in my lower ribcage area. I've got a whole cabinet of tested medications and supplements at home so maybe one more won't hurt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, Megan and everyone: For some reason, I found that I had a problem with gas and even some pain when I tried whole flaxseeds but not ground flaxseed. If you want to try it, my suggestion would be to start with a small amount and see how your body responds to it. For me, it does take about three tablespoons a day to relieve my constipation. It's really been worth it, since I've had problems with IBS-C for over twenty years!!! Hope this can help someone else as much as it's helped me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, Megan and everyone: For some reason, I found that I had a problem with gas and even some pain when I tried whole flaxseeds but not ground flaxseed. If you want to try it, my suggestion would be to start with a small amount and see how your body responds to it. For me, it does take about three tablespoons a day to relieve my constipation. It's really been worth it, since I've had problems with IBS-C for over twenty years!!! Hope this can help someone else as much as it's helped me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.