Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 43, male. I've suffered from IBS-C for about 14 years now. Have tried various medications and diets to no avail.My bouts of IBS-C flare up intermittently and cause me a great deal of pain and discomfort. One thing I have noticed though is that stress/stressful thoughts causes gurgling in my guts and very bad, momentary spasms of pain.Relaxing helps of course, but this is by no means easy when you're in a lot of discomfort.Are there yet any medications which would help to suppress the link between brain activity and the gut? I'm sure this would help matters an awful lot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi, many people will probably suggest anti depressants. Maybe not a road you are prepared to go down but it certainly helps. A lot of people are given this medication, not because they are depressed but because of the brain, gut connection. I take 20mg prozac every day and my bowel has settled down a hell of a lot, not so many gurgles, pain, twitching, my stools are pretty much normal too. Hopefully you will get some other suggestions from other members but i would speak to your doc about a low dose anti depressant, they are non habit forming too. Take Care. Kelly x

G

·
Don't know whether probiotics might. I've got IBS/C too (for about 8 years) and something called acidophilus has certainly helped that awful bunged up feeling I'd been experiencing. I have had horrible spasms under my left boob (for want of a better description) which is apparently a common place to suffer with trapped wind (the splenic flexure? - I think its called) and acidophilus has certainly helped relieve alot of my excessive wind and rumbling and touch wood - have not had any severe pain for about 3 months so give these a whirl. I was deeply sceptical of health food stores but the staff in mine are dead sympathetic and helpful to IBS sufferers.All the very best from rain-drenched Manchester.Sue

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both your replies.
Re Prozac - I'd pondered going to the doc about that but am a little concerned about long-term use. I mean, I realise they're non-addictive, BUT am concerned that they may be the only thing that helps and that, after a period of time, they will be proven to work yet I will need to stop taking them (if that makes any sense).Acidophilus looks interesting, I'll do a bit of reading around.

·
Registered
846 Posts
An older antidepressant that relieves pain is elavil (constipating); a brand-new one is Cymbalta. Both have female sexual side effects. However, if you are in as much pain as I, sex is the last think you can tolerate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,I have suffered for years as well with IBS-C. Personally, if you are not clinically depressed, there is no need to start taking anti-depressants. If you want a boost for serotonin levels, just get some L-Tyrosine 500mg. This is an amino acid that does wonders. I would take 1,000mg in the am on an empty stomach. Also, a new product that has helped with the pain and bloating is called Digest Advantage for IBS. A very good product as well. Good Luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.