Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am IBS-C and I can't figure out why my doc prescribes medicines that relax the bowel like Levbid or Bentyl. I know they are good for spasms, but it seems like these kinds of drugs would make constipation worse. Also -has anyone taken the new drug for IBS symptoms called Pamine? I have prescription, but I would have to fight with my HMO to get it filled. They don't like to pay for those brand new expensive drugs!

·
Registered
41 Posts
TessieI took Pamine for several months and had good luck with it. Quit taking due to tring to get pg. I do remember that I didn't have any side effects with it. It's worth tring.Musick

·
Registered
41 Posts
TessieI took Pamine for several months and had good luck with it. Quit taking due to tring to get pg. I do remember that I didn't have any side effects with it. It's worth tring.Musick

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tessie I just looked up Pamine on Walgreens.com because I have never heard of it before. It stated that it's generally used for ulcers and that one of the side effects is constipation. I'm guessing that you've tried it before?? Did it make your problems worse?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tessie I just looked up Pamine on Walgreens.com because I have never heard of it before. It stated that it's generally used for ulcers and that one of the side effects is constipation. I'm guessing that you've tried it before?? Did it make your problems worse?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Tessie, good question. I've had GI's prescribe anti-spasmodics for me at times because the pain was so great, but I did suffer from worse C when I took them.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Tessie, good question. I've had GI's prescribe anti-spasmodics for me at times because the pain was so great, but I did suffer from worse C when I took them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Tessie,Thats a good question. I've also been prescribed bowel relaxers for ibs C, but was too afraid to take them. I get very intense spasms so this could be why they were prescribed. I think some doctors think that the bowel is spasming up on itself which actually causes the constipation-not inactivity of the bowel. Do you tend to feel worse after a bowel movement, or better? I tend to feel better for 15 seconds and then alot worse as the bowel spasms in on itself. I'm still too afraid to take bowel relaxers and also afraid to take Zelnorm when it comes out. I'll have to try though. Let us know how you fare on the relaxers if you get the courage and gd. luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Tessie,Thats a good question. I've also been prescribed bowel relaxers for ibs C, but was too afraid to take them. I get very intense spasms so this could be why they were prescribed. I think some doctors think that the bowel is spasming up on itself which actually causes the constipation-not inactivity of the bowel. Do you tend to feel worse after a bowel movement, or better? I tend to feel better for 15 seconds and then alot worse as the bowel spasms in on itself. I'm still too afraid to take bowel relaxers and also afraid to take Zelnorm when it comes out. I'll have to try though. Let us know how you fare on the relaxers if you get the courage and gd. luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts