Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I'm new to this forum - which I'm so pleased I found! Seems a little scary to "Bare all" openly but I hope I can get some advice from everyone!I have had IBS every since I can remember - think it started when I was 16 (I am now 52). In the early years I "treated" it with laxatives because in those years I never knew about IBS! I became so dependent on laxatives - sometimes taking about 50 at a time. Nevertheless, in my thirties I managed to come off the laxatives - I was eating High Bulk Bran every morning which seemed to do the trick, but after 7 years became intolerant to it - and wheat! So back onto laxatives again. I have since been able to get by with taking probiotics (with a little fibre - cannot tolerate anything with a high fibre content) I have had the odd chronic "episode" of constipation which usually lasts for 2-3 weeks, but this time everythng has changed. It has lasted for 6 months now - "incomplete" (if at all) elimination;hard, black stools. The probiotics are not helping at all any more. I am now so tired, so depressed. This condition has always ruled my life as I'm sure you all will agree it does - but I really don't know what to do anymore. It's as if my colon has just given up on me. I REALLY don't want to start taking potent laxatives again - back to SQUARE ONE! My tummy is distended all the time - I feel nauseous most of the time and also very lethargic.by the way, I am a health fanatic - so I do exercise, eat very healthily, drink water!! I am at a loss!Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you tried osmotic laxatives?You could go with something really natural like prunes and apple juice or pear nectar. All of those have sorbitol.You could also try miralax if you don't mind something that has a chemcial name or magnesium supplements.All that is to keep the stool wet enough to move when your colon does move it.Osmotic laxatives do not normally count as "potent". I am assuming by that you mean stimulatory laxatives?Also you may need to go to the doctor and get checked out. A medication review to make sure nothing you are taking is making the constipation worse, and sometimes people do well on a new prescription drug called Amitza or one of the SSRI's like zoloft that tend to help speed things up (gut nerves use serotonin, too.).You may need to have pelvic floor testing as well as transit time testing to see what exactly is going wrong. Healthy diet and exercise do not prevent those kinds of problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. My 14-year-old also has IBS-C. We are now working with Aloe Vera Gel (mixed with apple juice because it's "nasty") and high fiber oatmeal each morning.I still increase her fiber, which I see that you cannot tolerate, but the gel seems to help things move along a little bit more regularly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kathleen,Thanks so much for your advice.
Much appreciated.I have had a colonoscopy and all seems to be OK. I have not had pelvic floor testing or transit time testing so will make a point of mentioning that to my doctor.In the meanwhile I will try an osmotic laxative - I'll try anything right now!! I have tried Movicol but it does not help.I do have prunes - they just cause upset and gas. I will also enquire about AMITZA and ZOLOFT.Thanks again!Riva

1 - 4 of 4 Posts