Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!I know I'm asking the question of the ages, but has any other C/D sufferer out there figured out a good trick for overcoming severe constipation without causing severe diarrhea? I just went through 4 days of being incredibly stopped up (horrible pain and pressure) and I REFUSE to take ex-lax because it gives me unbelievable diarrhea. It's NOT fair. I'm sure all of you C/D sufferers are with me in believing that whicbever you are suffering with, you wish you had the other: when I'm C, I just wish I could GO, and when I do, I wish I could STOP. Vicious circle, huh?Anyway, anyone found a really good way to empty themselves of C without tilting the scales into D? After my four days of C, I was in the bathroom all day today!!
Thank you all!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah if we knew the answer to this one..Well, you could try daily magnesium supplements. That may be more gentle and/or a stool softener. Watch using a stooll softener with the magnesium in it. Try to get one without any magnesium.Here's hoping you get relief soon.BQ

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I hear you. My answer is fiber. I take citrucel and will increase the dosage when really stopped up. Also, watch what I eat so that I bulk up. I take a daily calcium/magnesium supplement to try to keep up the balance - I use a couple of different ones with different ratios of calcium to magnesium and wil change based on what's going on. usually though it's 2:1 calcium:magnesium (which is a higher ratio than caltrate with magnesium).it is a awful viscious cycle - no doubt about it!nancy

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wish I had the answer to that one ! Story of my life!I am leaving on a long trip today an have been careful all week ,watching what I ate and still had D. So I took immodium yesterday and today I have terrible gas pains and will probably be C for days then the cycle will continue. I have tried many kinds of fiber. No matter how little or how much I take I get cramping and much gas. Same with Calcium. I guess I won't be eating much on this trip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.