Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started taking Lizness (constella) 1 year ago and it worked, however it stopped working. I switched to prucalopride and it worked well for 1 month now doesn't work.

Would going back to Lizness after a month 'drug holiday' kick start it again?

Any advice..as I have no more meds to turn to, i've used Amitiza, Lizness, Prucalopride and laxatives.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I started taking Lizness (constella) 1 year ago and it worked, however it stopped working. I switched to prucalopride and it worked well for 1 month now doesn't work.

Would going back to Lizness after a month 'drug holiday' kick start it again?

Any advice..as I have no more meds to turn to, i've used Amitiza, Lizness, Prucalopride and laxatives.
Hi SCE7 -

I've read that happening here (on this board) quite often with Lizness, it works for about a year and then that is that.

I've tried a ton of stuff and have been using this (see below) for almost 3 years now. Recommended (click on below link to read):

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/239065-finally-a-product-i-can-recommend/

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
Hi

sure, you could try going back on linzess again. maybe the drug holiday will kick start it into working again.

there are also ways of tweaking linzess. one of my gastro docs has done research and has run clinical trials on linzess. he told me that linzess works on the same receptors that food does. so generally, the closer you take it to eating a meal, the more diarrhea you get and the quicker it works. so instead of taking it a half hour before eating, as prescribed, try taking it 20 or 15 minutes before eating or even less. i experimented with that and found that, for me at least, taking it with meals really made it work better and quickly. conversely, the more time that elapses between taking linzess and eating, the less D you get. with linzess, it's all in experimenting and finding out what works best for you.

prucalopride really might benefit from a drug holiday. i took zelnorm back in the day when it was still available. zelnorm was a drug that was a lot like prucalopride--in the same drug class--unlike linzess and the others. when zelnorm stopped working for me, i took a week long drug holiday from it and that kicked started it into working again. so i started taking it five days a week, took the weekends off and periodically took a week long holiday from it and that's what kept it working for me. so you might want to try that with prucalopride.

also, there is a new med out here in the usa called trulance (plecanatide) . don't know if it's available in the uk or not yet. it's a lot like linzess but it's supposed to work better than linzess. i've read posts from people who say it's helped them.

and you could always try taking one of these meds with various laxatives and see if that works. i know people who are doing that successfully --the "drug cocktail" sort of thing. it's kind of a shame we have to do this sort of thing but often it works.

it's hard dealing with chronic constipation. good luck with everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.