Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first noticed a problem when i was about sixteen. My lower right abdomen felt full all of the time, weighted and not natural or healthy. I would tell my parents that my "stomach" looked weird and out of proportion, but they thought it was merely adolescence taking its course. In time it became worse. Certain foods (especially dairy) did not digest well. We first went to the doctor after i was completely constipated for three weeks and feeling the effects of toxins overcoming my body. My skin was a pale yellow, i appeared very bloated although i was not eating, and i was constanlty tired. The doctor ran tests and had me take "aggressive measures" to fix the problem. I' sure many of you can relate. Not a good experience. Many tests and liquid diets followed for a full year. I was forced to give up soccer my senior year because my weight had dropped twenty pounds and i was weak. People though i had an eating disorder. Over the next year things improved with my growing self awareness of my condition. The doctor's instructions: fiber, water, less cheese. After a year of college and much self experimentation with remedies, i've found that many things work and many don't. I am about 60% better now however, and find only to improve each day. Here is what i've found helps the situation, much of which you all have shared
---1. Morning coffee with as little cream and sugar added as possible2. Sleeping on my stomach as streched out as possible. Also, lying in a long, streched position while relaxing helps greatly.3. Low, deep breaths and focus on NO stress during the day. This is especially important in the abdominal region--focus stress away from that area4. St. John's Wort: keeps stress levels down5. Herbal remedies with psyllium6. Calcium. however, i avoid cheese as much as possible. processed cheese seems not to cause as big of problems, although some consider it quite nasty!7. Aloe vera juice reduces gas 8. caffeine in moderation9. drinking hot water10. Occasional greasy meals help move things, though i'm not sure if i should recommend them11. excercise! work a sweat and get movement to keep the body healthy12. warm temperatures: heating pads, hot tubs, warm days. anything warm seems helpfulI know its tough but we can pull through it! Keep smiling.elsal

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Caffiene stimulates the bowels to move and avoiding it is often useful for diarrhea-predominate types.While some people who can't tolerate anything acidic may have problems with it in the stomach, generally coffee (as long as it doesn't give you the runs) is well tolerated. Most of the coffee as the great health evil stories are just old-wives tales and have not stood up to rigourous testing.K.[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
beach - I've mixed mine with fruit juices. Worked well except I can't drink fruit juice every single morning - citric acid is a trigger for me
elsal - glad to hear you found a good regime.Ty------------------There is nothing so strong as gentleness,and there is nothing more gentle as real strength.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Caffeine is a must for me every moring to be able to 'go'. Beach, I drink 80z of George's aloe vera juice every morning with my Ezekiel bread. No taste at all, tastes like water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.