Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never know how much fiber to take daily. There are different types of fiber, and I think that if I take too much, I get even more constipated and bloated . My doctor told me to take wheat fiber, and after a while, I realized it was doing me no good... Can someone PLEASE tell me what are the BEST sources of daily fiber, and how much to take in the day. I am in deperate nead of food advise regarding ibs-C, please help!Thanks, Katie

G

·
Hi Katie,What works for me is taking Metamucil (sugar-free) every morning. Other people swear by tea or hot water with lemon every morning.Food-wise, prune juice (only a quarter or half a glass - that stuff is powerful) is good and apples are great. Prunes and apricots seem to help me as well. There's always the ever-popular bran as well.Hope this helps.Mary

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Katie, Welcome to the board!!!The problem with wheat fiber is it does not absorb much water and to some people it is too abrasive.I suggest you take Metamucil or Citrucel supplements--both are water absorbable, safe to take daily,and are bulk stool forming agents. Metamucil contains psyllium seed husks and is broken down by intestinal bacteria--ferments and causes more gas than Citrucel. Citrucel is a semi-synthetic fiber, methylcellulose,that does not breakdown and undergo intestinal fermentation---as a result produces less gas. But,after using either of these your system will gets use to them and the gas goes away.You just have to drink alot of water.It also best to start off slowly--- and increase the doseage until you get a gentle BM ---one without straining.Take Care----H

G

·
Hi there from one C to another! Metamucil has been recommended by so many people (I have some in the cupboard, but it takes an effort for me to face it!) Others swear by magnesium supplements.Try upping your water intake, for some reason C people actually have a low water consumption, as if the body is saying No, I don't need it. Fresh fruit, but then again some people can find that makes matters worse - it's a lot of trial and error I'm afraid.I eat a small amount of licorice each evening, and find that helps. I also avoid refined flour products like white bread, thick crust pizza etc as that binds me up dreadfully. Stick to less refined foods, wholewheat products, (you might even need to avoid wheat products altogether), lots of fresh fruit and veg - and chew your food well, try not to swallow down "chunks" as the body has problems digesting! (sound like your mum??)
Good luck,Kylie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Your replies have been very helpful. Altought I know that wheat isn't that good for me, I now have many more fiber intake options. And wate is a important part of my diet ( about 3L a day)Thamks again!Katie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.