Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and would like to share my story to see if anyone can offer some insight as I'm beginning to feel like there is no way out of this nightmare.It all started one day in the middle of summer in 2005. I woke up bloated and didn't think much of it, it happens from time to time. But this time it didn't go away. And I began to feel constipated. Before this happened I would have a BM maybe once every few days but I had always been like that and assumed it was normal as I never felt any discomfort. Suddenly I was uncomfortable and bloated all the time. I moved out shortly thereafter and saw numerous walk-in doctors as I did not have my own in the new city I was living in. All of them just told me I Was constipated maybe from stress or sitting a lot in school (I was in my first year of uni at the time). They gave me laxatives and told me to eat lots of fibre. The laxatives did next to nothing for me. This went on for about 2 years - bloating, discomfort, I was depressed and angry all the time and so frustrated because I couldn't stop feeling full and constipated. I had pretty bad gas as well which was just awful when at school.Finally I found my own doctor and my parent's urging and did a stool sample (seriously, two years until someone actually tested something). A few days later I got a phone call from the doc saying I had some sort of intestinal parasite and that I needed to go on some hardcore antibiotics. Took the antibiotics and started to feel better - but not 100%. Going to the bathroom wasn't so difficult when I actually had the urge to go anymore, but I was always still bloated and felt constipated a lot. My symptoms did improve immensely. I got in a car accident and had bigger problems to deal with for the next 8 months at which point I returned to the doctor so say my symptoms still existed. She tested my stool again - came back clean. She put me on antibiotics again just in case something was missed. Didn't help. She also told me to cut out lactose which improved my symptoms somewhat as well. I eventually learned how to live with it - tried to eat high fibre food, avoided dairy, and managed to learn my body's schedule if you will. I discovered that if I got up in the morning and just relaxed sitting on the couch, it would happen (eventually) every morning. Thank GOODNESS for this discovery. Big pain in the ass though - getting up hours before you have to go anywhere just to make sure you can have a BM so as not to be miserable all bloody day. And there are of course no guarantees - I could get up 2 hours before work and have no luck and then be angry that I got less sleep than I could have plus I'm bloated, constipated, and gassy.This year I went to a new doctor who also did a stool sample and some blood tests - everything normal. He suggested I cut out gluten, so I did. HUGE difference! Bloating virtually disappeared, and BMs were a guarantee in the morning within the hour. Still though, if something went awry, I wouldn't go in the morning and feel miserable all day. Like the past few days - for no apparent reason I have not been able to go in the morning and have been uncomfortable and irritable all day. Does this sound like anything anyone on here has experienced? Does it sound like IBS? I'm so hesitant to just surrender and say ok I have IBS. It just seems like such a cop=out answer for something no one really has the answer to. No colonoscopy has been done - every time the topic comes up someone says it isn't necessary. Oh, and one other thing I forgot to mention - when I was a kid I used to hold in my BMs... don't as why I have no idea, and I was very young. I wondered if I could have done some damage down there as a kid, but that doesn't seem likely to be the case as these problems didn't start until many years later and AFTER I had a parasitic infection. Could it be possible the infection just screwed me up that badly because it went unnoticed for 2 years? Anyone thing the antibiotics could have messed me up? Does this all sound permanent???I just hate to think that for the rest of my life I'm going to have to get up early and sit and wait to go or suffer the whole day... I currently work at 7am and get up at 5 am. It takes me 20 mins to get to work. What happens when it takes me an hour to get to work? Up at 4 just to BM? Sounds ridiculous. I'm so frustrated... sometimes I just break down an cry because I can't handle to discomfort and the intrusion this has on my life.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.