Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I posted, but I thought this may be worth sharing. I have had IBS-C for a couple years (I'll be 23 on Christmas) and I have found that if I eat any refined sugars (in pop, candy, and all sweets that I at one point loved to eat but now don't even crave them since I rarely allow myself to give in to a craving) I am in big trouble. For the most part, I have dealt with my IBS-C by taking Ultra-Mega womens supplements, 2000mg Vitamin C, and 2 heavy duty acidophilous pills a day in addition to 0-3 Magnesium supplements a day depending on the need. Oh and I started using Rafani plus and I think it helps but am not sure yet. I used to take laxatives (haven't for over a year cuz they are BAD news that I think worsened my problem!) and once a month or so have taken Milk of Magnesia (although I have avoided it recently by relying on extra Magnesium supplements and just waiting out a bad day or 2-- I hate that stuff!). What I have found is that if I eat a good portion (and sometimes a little one) of refined sugars I am down for the count. This has happened several times and I doubt that I am the only one who is set off by sugar so it may be worth avoiding for those of you who have my problem. It's a healthy way to live, too. DOn't worry,though, I do get my sweets, but in the form of raisins, juice, fruit, and things like chocolate-covered raisins made in a natural foods store so they have no refined sugar. The other thing I use is fructose. It is more expensive than regular sugar but my pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving didn't cause me an ounce of problem because fructose is the sugar that occurs naturally in fruit. Finally, fried foods are also bad news. So, in case anyone else has been hoping more people would just say what works and what causes problems for their IBS-C like I have been, here is what I can share. Anyone else have any good pointers, suggestions, good foods, bad foods, supplements, vitamins, etc. etc? Thanks and have a good day!------------------Laney_001IBS-C

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Try staying away from white flour as well, I find you can substitute the whole wheat for most things. You can also get whole wheat pastry flour for baking. The white flour is just as bad as the refined sugar. You probably won't react to raw sugar so you might want to try it in your cooking. I use it all the time.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I also take magnesium supplements everyday along with drinking a lot of water, and trying to avoid heavy, starchy things (bagels are a killer). Also, citric acid is a no no too.Ty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts