Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 31 y/o female. Diagnosed with IBS-C when I was 15 years old after a particularly horrendous episode I remember 16 years later. I had been constipated for 7 days and when I finally was ready to have my bowel movement, I had to call my mom into the bathroom with me. I knew something was wrong. After an hour of "contractions," I completely blacked out and my mom laid me gently on the floor from the toilet where I almost instantly came to...but also had a massive bowel movement. After a colonoscopy and endoscopy, I was diagnosed. Since then. I have about six to seven episodes a year...I only pass out about once a year. I've found what works for me. Maybe I can offer my own suggestions if anyone has the same problem. When the sweats and pains begin, I lay in bed as long as I can stand it. When the moment comes where the pain will not pass and I know I need to be on a toilet, I let my wife know and I proceed to bathroom...grabbing a wash rag, quickly running it under cold water. I also have a foot stool that we keep folded up next to the toilet. Everyone knows it's my "poop stool." I put my legs on it to increase circulation. When the time comes when I think I'm going to pass out I call out for my wife so she knows to check on me in the near future. I put my head between my knees and take slow breaths. I drape the cold rag over the back of my neck. If my legs are going numb or tingling, I stand up and walk in circles until the blood is dispersed. I then sit back down...right when I feel like I'm about to faint, I usually have the bowel movement. IF I do pass out, I try to lay on the floor before it happens or lay back into the back of the toilet. Anything to keep me from falling and hitting my head. My wife knows to lay me down and get the ammonia smelling salts in drawer next to me. I wake up...and finally go. It does feel like I'm dying. Sometimes I even tell God, "It's okay. I know I'm going to be alright. Let me pass out." It's sad really. But I have learned to cope. If this happens at work, fortunetly I work in an emergency department... And we are shameless. Everyone knows my problem. And all I need to do is pull the red cord if I am going to faint. Thank God, I have not had this happen at work. Anyway, curious to know if anyone else has this problem...syncope (fainting) while having an IBS attack. Thanks for letting me share!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Apparently vasovagal syncope (aka. micturition syncope according to google). Is quite common...

I've not got anything to add. Just wanted to share the other names for it in case other people knew it by something else.

Stars in my eyes is about as far as constipation goes for me ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.