Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this particular BB although I recognise a few names from other BB's.I have read a few postings and, so far, the majority are IBS - D. I have had bloating, distention, trapped wind,lower back pain, cramping and constipation since I was a teenager (now 38) but my symptoms were not diagnosed until last year, probably due to the fact that my symptoms becames worse when I stopped smoking and I went to a GP about it. I have had all the regular tests, tried the high fibre and gallons of water, tried pure olive oil (straight on an empty stomach, fibogel, saline laxatives, lactulose, laxyberyl etc - all without success and I finally resort to using a glycerine suppository which works quite quickly. Without these I would probably keep growing (my weight has also increased quite rapidly).I am going to start on the Atkins Diet this weekend but would appreciate constructive feed back. Also, I have heard mention that calcium citrate can help. Is this true?(I thought calcium caused C) and, if so, is it available in the UK under a specific Brand Name?I look forward to any help you can give. I have to say that these BB's are the only thing I look forward to every morning. I spend more time here than at work! It is a constant source of support.------------------SD

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi Diggin.Welcome to the board. I am a "C" type also. I use a fiber/senna combination called Perdiem, which helps, but not entirely. Some days are better than others. We have a search feature on this board at the top of the page. If you click on the search button and type in "constipation", you will find lots of information. Good Luck.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Calcium does cause C - I use magnesium supplements.Ty

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you have c DO NOT GO ON THE ATKINS DIET. No fiber, fruit and limited veggies leads to nothing but hard poops!!!! i cannot stress how important it is to eat ruffage when you have constipation, and the atkins diet is nothing but constipating proteins. You are gaining weight becasue you are retaining stool. try an enema or milk of magnesia, NOT the atkins diet!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a chronic C and tried Adkins diet. I felt horrible and couldn't go at all! It's extremely constipating - there's no fiber in it. If you want to lose weight, do the protein part but add vegs and fruit for fiber and leave out carbs like bread, potatoes and pasta.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi diggin:I am so sorry to hear of your continuing struggles with C. I, too, am a C type, but can control it with fiber therapy, water and exercise. I agree with the others here that posted NOT to try the Atkins diet. I have read about that and I think your problem will become worse if you choose that avenue.I am sure you will find some helpful suggestions here and I'm sorry I can't be of more help.Good luck to you!Mitchd------------------Learn from the mistakes of others.You can't live long enoughto make them all yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your input regarding calcium and Atkins. It was very helpful, especially since the majority feel the same.Thank you again, I will steer Clear------------------SD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.