Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,This is my first visit and posting here. I have IBS with constipation. I need an antidepressant but get terribly constipated on some. I tried Prozac, but was constipated. Then I was on Zoloft, but had to get off, because I got Diarrhea so badly that I could barely leave the house. I was switched to Wellbutrin XL 300 mg. But now I am constipated again. It seems that I've even lost my urge to go. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!~Songweaver

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, I also have IBS-C and I want to start anti-depressants. I've heard Paxil is supposed to be good, but I don't know. I've been asking around just like you. I think I may try it. I read some studies done that showed Paxil is supposed to help people with IBS (although I'm not sure if it helps with only D or C). If I find out, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,I am presently on Celexa and it seeems to be helping a bit with my constipation (at least it is definetely NOT making it worse!!). I had tried Zoloft in the past and it made no difference at all on my C.Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Celexa is good. I am currently on the generic form (Citalopram). In fact, one of the common side effects is diarrhea. Wellbutrin is known for having a constipating side effect. It is best to choose and SSRI (Celexa, Paxil, etc.) for IBS-C and not a Tricyclic anti-depressant like Wellbutrin. SSRI's generally have diarrhea as a side effect while Tricyclic's have constipation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Friends: Lots of good information!The latest for me is that: I got another doctor, and she changed my antidepressant Wellbutrun, to Cymbalta, and I am very excited to share about it. Cymbalta is also supposed help with nerve PAIN w/diabetics. Well, I was doulbtfull it would help my chronic back pain, due to whiplash, but thought what the heck--I'd give it a try. I am happy to report that my pain is 75% better!!! It makes my work now physically bareable. Thank you, Lord! The pain varies,though. I am SO happy to not have my back hurt so excruiating, that I don't want to get off of Cymbalta. But... trouble is: again, the constipation. Any suggestions out there? Dr. started me on a natural laxative, but now I'm either diarhhea or constipated. I just wish I could feel better again.....
It's like I'm always crampy and afraid to leave the house/get too far from home.
Can anyone relate? Thanks for any suggestions you have.... ~Song

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am on an antidepressant that gives me terrible constipation... so severe that ive gone 2 weeks without a bowel movement, and then only did after taking laxatives. for months i would take laxatives once a week, but they would make me so sick (cramps, diarrhea) and i knew that i shouldnt be relying on them long term.but a couple of months ago i found (on some online forums) the BEST solution, and i want to share it with you because it feels like it's saved my life. Its a tea, called Chiro Klenz, and you can order it online. Its safe for long term use, and it WILL make you go to the bathroom the next day. it completely cleans me out. Be careful to follow the directions carefully when you first start using it, because in the beginning its important to dillute it. if you drink it full strength right off the bat you will have cramping and diarrhea. Ive never posted in a forum before, but this has been such a godsend that i really want to share the information with others. I hope you experience the same relief i have!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.