Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

For the past week or so every time I eat an evening meal (dinner) it later results in diarrhea, bloating, nausea and vomiting if I am really unlucky which I apparently am today!

I'm in the bathroom as I'm writing this, holding a bucket between my legs as the toilet is well, occupied. You get the idea.

I am lactose and dairy intolerant so I avoid those, always. I am just clueless as to what has me so sick lately and why it is only happening in the evening and not after breakfast or lunch. It is driving me crazy!

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the situation because well, this is not how I want to spend my evenings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is probably going to sound silly but is it possible that you're overeating?

Sometimes I've found myself in a loop of diarrhoea because having had diarrhoea makes me hungry (having not actually absorbed the food) but then I eat loads which sometimes makes my system really speed everything up, giving me more diarrhoea...

Admittedly in this scenario vomiting seems unlikely and doesn't happen to me, but it's just the fact that this only happens to you after your evening meal that makes me think maybe you're overfilling your system and it's trying to make up for it by speeding up/ejecting food.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, I don't think I am over eating?

I have breakfast, lunch and dinner like people should. I got sick after lunch today and once again, I don't know why. I'm losing my mind over here. Thankfully I haven't vomited this time but I still have slight diarrhoea.

My body just isn't isn't anything. It's straight in and then I'm in the bathroom in less than thrity minutes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ah, ok, going to the loo after eating is normal but it sounds like what's happening to you is what was happening to me, i.e. having to run to the loo even before you've finished the meal. This is less normal...

My way around this has been to restrict my diet heavily (short-term until my doctor figures out what is going on) basically cutting out fibre and fat, and when I do have a small amount of fat taking a calcium supplement with it to help bind it up. I'm not entirely sure which one of these has helped get rid of this specific problem but if you have fatty stools then the calcium is worth giving a go.

Also, if my stomach is growling particularly much before a meal or between meals, I take an antispasmodic (Buscopan) but if you're planning on using something like Imodium it's best to avoid this. However I do find it has some effectiveness in slowing things down, although it doesn't always improve the consistency of the stool too much. But if I take 2 pills as soon as cramping starts that generally gets it to stop soon enough to not have it sending me running to the loo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.