Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. My weight has gotten completely out of control (you would really think going to the bathroom the way I do, I would weigh nothing) and I'm very interested in dropping some lbs. Problem is, all the diets and dieting I come across involve basically everything I can't eat. I would love to have a small salad for lunch, tons of leafy greens with dinner, snack on nuts and veggies, eat wheat bread etc.etc. but these are all trigger foods for me. How do I go about losing the weight when all the foods they suggest are debilitating? How do I lose weight when I function best on a carb heavier diet? What's a good option for a 'light' lunch? Can anyone give me some suggestions for 5 small meals a day? (nothing with mushrooms, please, I hate them :))I really appreciate any help as this is becoming my biggest issue.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You can diet eating all the foods you normally eat, even the carbohydrate rich ones (although you might not tolerate as much raw fruit--you could cook them or substitute in cooked veggies, you could get the Rice diet cookbook as that is low fat carbohydrate rich diet that is a weight loss diet).Two optionsMost quantitative.I would find one of the on-line calorie tracker programs that you think you can work with and track everything you eat for a couple of days. See how many calories you really need to lose weight (maintenance-500 is about a pound a week and a good rate to lose) and then cut back your portions of what you can eat to match that.Less quantitative.Put from 1/2 to 2/3 what you normally eat on your plate of everything you already eat and then don't go back for seconds. What helps with this is get smaller plates/containers for food so less food doesn't look so small on a big plate and also don't ever eat anything out of the bag. Always portion out your food/snacks and put the rest of the food away. This is the low flatus diet and the portions sizes for the sample menu on this diet is low enough a lot of people will lose weight, so you could look at that (and most of these foods tend to be tolerated by IBSers pretty well)http://www.endowsec.com/pated/edtgs12.htm It is three meals a day, but you can take a couple of things out for a snack later on.You also don't have to do raw veggies for a low carb diet (and sometimes that will control diarrhea) you can use cooked or steamed. It doesn't have to be a raw salad.http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=see_pictureperfect_portions_of_300calorie_meals has some samples of mini meals of a size that will satisfy so that may help with some ideas.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My lunch is the same every day.Smoothie made with banana, mango and almond milk.Start with a slice of dry sourdough bread, a calcium carbonate tab and a swig of water.Not too exciting but it serves the SF rule and gets me my fruit too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi there! This is going to sound really boring - but I feel exercise is your answer.I know it may seem really hard, but it needn't be. You can step it up and I promise, if you keep it up, you will end up loving it.Until I was 30 I never lifted a finger. But my weight got out of control, so I started jogging. If you do it right, you can eat what you like, (the only restriction I have on my diet is IBS!).Start by going for a short run. I mean short... like to the end of your road and back. Run every two days and every time go a bit further until you are up to a reasonable level. Don't worry about times, we are not exercising to be athletes.The most important thing is not to stop moving. If you feel like stopping, slow down so you are almost walking. Pace yourself for the distance.Slowly build up the amount of time your jog for. It may seem a mile away, but in 6 months you will be able to run 4 or 5 miles and I promise you will enjoy it - you will look forward to it and the feeling it gives you after.The key is to exercise at a slow pace, over a long period of time. This teaches the body to store and burn fat differently. Even when you are not exercising your body will react to fat differently.Trust me - try it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tummy,I know that your reply is directed to lib BUT I feel the need to cut in here and please do not see this as a high jack of the thread..:rolleyes:The very thought of me being 5 miles away from my bathroom while out running is enough to send me to the bathroom!!!Loving it? I can't walk to the mail box, a mere 2 min walk from my front door.Seems the exercise involved triggers the urge and it is the same if I go to the grocery store, Walmart, the corner or the library.Hopefully for you lib it will be different.And for you Tummy, seems it is OK for you.Wish it was for me and I'm sure there are many like me...

·
Registered
312 Posts
can you try eating these foods? my post is at the bottom of this link.http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?/topic/119213-cant-seem-to-be-able-to-enjoy-any-nice-food/you could alter my diet to make it a super fat loss diet as well as working with IBS-D.remove the rasberries, blueberries and almondsand limmit the animal organs and cheese to 1 small serving per day because they have carbs. do not eat more than 1 small serving.and the rest of the foods meat, eggs, butter and vegetables, on that list you can basically eat as much as you want of and it will be a great fat loss diet. also limmit your carbohydrate intake to 20 grams max per day but you most likely wont eat more than 20 grams of carbs per day when following this diet.don't count calories only count carbohydraytes i ate massive amounts of food and easily lost 100 pounds with this diet.also have you tried eating broccoli and fatty meats with out combinding them with something carby like pasta? if you eat broccoli and fatty meats by themselfs they will cause no gas. but if you also eat pasta with them you will get HORRIBLE gas.you remind me of myself i got the most overweight in my life 330 pounds when i had diarrea every day you would think i would lose weight in a time like that but nope. i was eating spagetti and spagetti is extremely toxic and that explains why i was gaining so much fat weight even when i had diarrea everyday.but il explain how it works spagetti causes a massive toxic blood sugar spike this toxic blood sugar spike must either be burned off as energy or stored as fat. but in a type 2 diabetics case there cells are resistant to the hormone isulin so there body cant store it as fat and then the toxic blood sugar spike reaches there kidneys and causes great damage to the point that they have impaired kidneys and or need a kidney transplant.so you see that is why your still gaining weight even with all this IBS your eating things like spagetti and your body is forced to store it as fat or die.bread,pasta,sweet potatos,corn,potatos,sugar,candy,glucose,etc also have the same fat gaining effect.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tummy,I know that your reply is directed to lib BUT I feel the need to cut in here and please do not see this as a high jack of the thread..:rolleyes:The very thought of me being 5 miles away from my bathroom while out running is enough to send me to the bathroom!!!Loving it? I can't walk to the mail box, a mere 2 min walk from my front door.Seems the exercise involved triggers the urge and it is the same if I go to the grocery store, Walmart, the corner or the library.Hopefully for you lib it will be different.And for you Tummy, seems it is OK for you.Wish it was for me and I'm sure there are many like me...
I am sorry to hear that.I do have to always go before I run. I go after as well, but that seems more 'normal' - something to do with endorphins I guess.I do tend to run 'round' my house as well, so I am never more than 10 minutes away.But I don't get IBS-D.... Which I assuming you do. So cannot speak for this side of it.And no worries, wouldnt have thought you were hijacking. Its all valuable input here I find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just catching up on some old topics I posted. I agree with Tummy, fortunately my IBS-D is not so bad that I can't leave the house most days. I have been exercising and some days it works great, some days --not so much. Some days my stomach feels so heavy and uncomfortable I can't even get a good workout in (I still keep at it though). I sometimes find that having to go after I exercise is actually a great relief and I'm pretty good for the rest of hte day. Like it all comes out at one time and I also like to envision the fresh blood pumping through my stomach and cleaning everything out. Also, I have cut down on my portions and I'm finding healthy dinners like grilled chicken, small amount of veggies and some carbs has helped. I started looking at food as nutrients only and if my body needs certain things just to exist, that's all I want to put in it (of course I veer off course very often). I've managed to lose a few pounds (of course I'm on and off for over a year now) and I'm starting to really pay attention to triggers. Also, portion control helps immensely. Sorry to bring this post up again over a year later but I was just going through my stuff.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Lib - this is interesting, cause I have only just come back on to check my posts.I have learnt a lot in the last few months. My problems definitely involve my pelvic floor. I have some element of IBS, but my incomplete evacuation is because my muscles won't 'relax'. I just have not got to the bottom of why yet, (either physical or stress). I have a proctogram scheduled in,I think running helps because it relaxes the pelvic floor. It also helps stuff work through. I think diet comes in because it determines stool type and how easy evacuation is....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree exercise is good, but it has to be right for each individual. I feel for you Thai! While I don't have your problems, I need to get up each morning hours ahead of leaving the house, just in case. It means I avoid anything that starts before 10am. It's a drag. I would never consider running: I would once, but not now. Why? I get plantar fasceitis and I have sore knees. But walking is good! Low impact and free! If I couldn't leave the house it makes it much, much harder, but I have been known to dance around the house. Not a pretty sight, but there's no one there to see it. And just doing housework is also exercise. So, Tummy, good on you that you can run and enjoy it, I hope. I would hate it. I know, I have tried. And if I don't enjoy my exercise I would just find excuses not to do it. So for each an everyone, lets find something that suits us individually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts