Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS-D for about a decade. As soon as my symptoms started, I simultaneously started experiencing hair loss or excessive hair shedding. I'm a relatively young female with no other disorders, and I've been tested for everything else. My GI doctor said this must just be a side effect for my body of having IBS-D. I went to a dermatologist as well, and she said it must be some sort of long-term telogen effluvium as a response to the IBS-D.

When I've gone through times of lower symptoms, the hair shedding decreases. I'm wondering if others have experienced this same weird hair loss side effect of having IBS-D? I've found it has a really powerful negative impact on my self-esteem. I'm lucky I started with really thick hair, so most people probably wouldn't notice my hair loss, but I can really tell, and it really makes me feel terrible. I've never felt the same about myself since the hair loss started.

While I know that stabilizing my IBS-D would be the real way to stop this hair loss, it's been a decade, so I've given up on hopes of ever getting it "cured" or totally under control. So, I'm wondering if others have experienced this sort of symptom? And if so, if hair loss products have helped? I've long thought about maybe trying some sort of hair loss product, like Rogaine for women, but I'm not sure it would do anything if the root cause is my iBS-D?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did you have your vitamin levels checked?

IBS-D often causes such problems and they can be related to hair loss. Your dermatologist or GI, could suggest some blood tests about it.

Hair loss is also connected with IBS-D, with regard to high stress levels. Perhaps some stress controlling exercise or activity could improve both.

Good luck !

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Anonymous1010
I've had similar problems with my hair and I agree with Athan. First you must check your vitamin levels thoroughly. I got diagnosed with Ibs-D 4 years ago and I've lost more than half of my hair. Just like you I started with very thick curly "mane" and ended up with almost bald spots on my head. I had to have a buzz-cut just to deal with the aftermath. It was falling out so severely doctors thought it was thyroid related-check that too if you can!
Anyway after a vitamin check it turned out I lack vitamin B9 and I have been taking it for months now. My hair is not falling out anymore and it has regrown..soo good luck and hope this helps you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies! I have had my vitamin levels checked and I do exercise and meditate regularly. I truly try everything to control this crazy disorder. No vitamin deficiencies were found in my blood tests, so I guess it's not that for me, but I'm glad others have had good results from such tests.

Has anyone else successfully regrown hair after losing it due to IBS-D? I'd be interested to hear about any other potential solutions.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi @ Anonymous1010 ,

I know everybody s symptoms/ side effects can be different but just thought Id share my perspective . I have had IBS-D for 7 years now. I did not experience hair loss as a side effect but i did experience a lot of weight loss when my IBS got really severe(quite an obvious connection with IBS-D due to frequent bowel movements /diarrhea).

Are you taking any medication maybe for the IBS or any other ailment that could be causing your hair loss ? You may want to check whether that is causing your hair loss..

Good luck to you !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts