Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted much here but have read many messages. I'm upset because I just received a jury summons and don't know how I can get there to serve. I rarely go anywhere further than 15 minutes from home or I get nervous and have to run to the bathroom. For jury duty I would have to take a train (the station has no toilet) and wait in a long line for a security check at the courthouse(can't use toilets until after security check). I just started trying immodium 2 months ago and was just having some progress trying to control the anxiety attacks - and now I am sick to my stomach and very anxious. I don't think there is any way I can get to the courthouse in time for 9am since mornings are worse for me. I'm worried I'll be so sick I won't be able to leave the house and then I'll get a fine for not appearing. Betty

·
Registered
605 Posts
Bettina, This is a topic we have discussed often here and I think at the Meeting Place. Jury duty is very stress inducing for those of us who are tied to the potty until 10 a.m. (or, all day). Do a search of the topic jury duty and you'll find some answers. I had jury duty a year ago. I got up at 4 a.m.
had my breakfast and did my normal morning routine and by 8:30 I was ready for the drive to the courhouse 1/2 hour away. There was a potty right in the jury room, and that was reassuring. (Of course, my mind couldn't help but wonder, gosh, what if someone's in there when I've got to go? We do torture ourselves, don't we.) I did get put in a box and right before the attorneys were going to hit us up with the questions, the judge asked if there was any reason any of us couldn't fulfill this duty. Up my hand went, and I privately explained to the judge that I'd love to sit in a jury box but they probably wouldn't want me because I could be back and forth to the potty alot. She let me go. I wonder if with a doctor's note beforehand a person could avoid having to attend at all, as they certainly don't want us in the jury box. I believe that question was addressed here and you may find the answer in a search. Best wishes.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Bettina, This is a topic we have discussed often here and I think at the Meeting Place. Jury duty is very stress inducing for those of us who are tied to the potty until 10 a.m. (or, all day). Do a search of the topic jury duty and you'll find some answers. I had jury duty a year ago. I got up at 4 a.m.
had my breakfast and did my normal morning routine and by 8:30 I was ready for the drive to the courhouse 1/2 hour away. There was a potty right in the jury room, and that was reassuring. (Of course, my mind couldn't help but wonder, gosh, what if someone's in there when I've got to go? We do torture ourselves, don't we.) I did get put in a box and right before the attorneys were going to hit us up with the questions, the judge asked if there was any reason any of us couldn't fulfill this duty. Up my hand went, and I privately explained to the judge that I'd love to sit in a jury box but they probably wouldn't want me because I could be back and forth to the potty alot. She let me go. I wonder if with a doctor's note beforehand a person could avoid having to attend at all, as they certainly don't want us in the jury box. I believe that question was addressed here and you may find the answer in a search. Best wishes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You sound just like me...I dont usually go anywhere but just places close to home and dont stayout long. I am worried about two things. First, I am getting married and to get the marriage license, I think (not sure yet) me and my fiancee have to go downtown and turn in the app. Second, my ex (my sons father) keeps telling me hes gonna have to lower child support because he just got married and now is expecting a new baby and he cant afford to keep paying me the amount I am getting. If he does that, I will have to go downtown again and wait there to see what happens. I am verry worried about these things as I dont like to use public bathrooms at all. I guess I will just have to wait to see what happens. But let me know about if you can get a doctors note, what can be done. Good luck with this!!! Kim

·
Registered
684 Posts
You sound just like me...I dont usually go anywhere but just places close to home and dont stayout long. I am worried about two things. First, I am getting married and to get the marriage license, I think (not sure yet) me and my fiancee have to go downtown and turn in the app. Second, my ex (my sons father) keeps telling me hes gonna have to lower child support because he just got married and now is expecting a new baby and he cant afford to keep paying me the amount I am getting. If he does that, I will have to go downtown again and wait there to see what happens. I am verry worried about these things as I dont like to use public bathrooms at all. I guess I will just have to wait to see what happens. But let me know about if you can get a doctors note, what can be done. Good luck with this!!! Kim

·
Registered
97 Posts
You haven't mentioned if you are under a doctors care, as you should be. Find a Good GI and a good portion of your physical burdens can be resolved. The anxiety is something that I continue to deal with, but it is much easier when you physically don't have to use the restroom as much.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You haven't mentioned if you are under a doctors care, as you should be. Find a Good GI and a good portion of your physical burdens can be resolved. The anxiety is something that I continue to deal with, but it is much easier when you physically don't have to use the restroom as much.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes you are called and they don't even need people so you may not have to go.I would call the courthouse. They generally have little interest in having people who are ill with anything that would make them need to leave the courtroom suddenly (or have accidents in the jury box).Some people get doctors notes to get them out of it either one time or get put on a do not call list.While many people with IBS eventually find things that allow them to perform jury duty, some either don't have that controll yet, or may never have.Even after you show up they usually ask if there is any problem that would prevent you from serving. You should be able to explain to the judge that you have chronic urgent diarrhea and are unable to sit through a trial.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes you are called and they don't even need people so you may not have to go.I would call the courthouse. They generally have little interest in having people who are ill with anything that would make them need to leave the courtroom suddenly (or have accidents in the jury box).Some people get doctors notes to get them out of it either one time or get put on a do not call list.While many people with IBS eventually find things that allow them to perform jury duty, some either don't have that controll yet, or may never have.Even after you show up they usually ask if there is any problem that would prevent you from serving. You should be able to explain to the judge that you have chronic urgent diarrhea and are unable to sit through a trial.K.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I JUST had this happen in fact I am suppose to serve next week! I went to my doctor and he gladly wrote me a letter to get me excused...that's all you need to do, get the doctor to write you an excuse. I'd have an hours drive each way and could never deal with JD!!!Good luck!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I JUST had this happen in fact I am suppose to serve next week! I went to my doctor and he gladly wrote me a letter to get me excused...that's all you need to do, get the doctor to write you an excuse. I'd have an hours drive each way and could never deal with JD!!!Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.